VTM-4 and Check Engine light (NOT GAS CAP) - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Danick
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTL
White / Olive

VTM-4 and Check Engine light (NOT GAS CAP)

Driving home last night stopped at a light, suddenly my RPM drops to 400 then back up to 1000 and back and forth like its gonna stall. Check engine light comes on too. Drive a few blocks and the VTM comes on as well and now the trauck is lurching and ridding ruff. Park it check fluids gas cap etc... all god. Start it up and it sounds like an old beater almost backfiring and still iddling rough. Make the decision, right or wrong, to limp it home truck runs secent but everyonce and a while on the way it starts to shake and shimmmer, then smooth out. Any one have any idea what this might be?

Of course its the long weekend so can't get it looked at till tuesday, till then it will sit in my garage.

2007 Honda Ridgeline 97,000km
Danick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: VTM-4 and Check Engine light (NOT GAS CAP)

Using the Google Custom Search tool just below the top blue banner with key words "VTM-4, CEL, Check Engine Light", I got several hits including the one below:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...p/t-39325.html
Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Get the codes checked first and test the battery

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
winggirl2004
ROC Rank: Freshman

Exclamation Re: VTM-4 and Check Engine light (NOT GAS CAP)

That just happened to me a few months back and I'll tell you this make sure where ever you bring it you trust!! I went to 2 dealerships with totally different answers after being fustrated I went to a independent shop and they overlooked a few things also, the result?? my truck the day before bringing it to be checked and possibly fixed it started on fire. The spark plug blew out hit the radiator which caused a spark
have someone check the spark plugs!!! the codes dont mean a thing!!! I got those checked and it was something totally different
winggirl2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Exclamation Re: VTM-4 and Check Engine light (NOT GAS CAP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winggirl2004 View Post
the day before bringing it to be checked and possibly fixed it started on fire.
That is the oddest story I have ever heard! Hope everything went ok, after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
Get the codes checked first and test the battery
Danick, I would also have the battery checked if that is the original one!

Stranger things have happened to RL owners, and that was usually the culprit! Mine just died on me without warning, but others have had different results..

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

Bad gas? Did you just fill up?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Civic LX, 2006 Ridgeline RTL, 2000 CR-V EX, 1991 Accord EX
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
GTwannabe
ROC Rank: Junior
2011 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Bali Blue Pearl

Sounds electrical (battery or alternator)
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
TRacer
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danick View Post
Driving home last night stopped at a light, suddenly my RPM drops to 400 then back up to 1000 and back and forth like its gonna stall. Check engine light comes on too. Drive a few blocks and the VTM comes on as well and now the trauck is lurching and ridding ruff. Park it check fluids gas cap etc... all god. Start it up and it sounds like an old beater almost backfiring and still iddling rough. Make the decision, right or wrong, to limp it home truck runs secent but everyonce and a while on the way it starts to shake and shimmmer, then smooth out. Any one have any idea what this might be?

Of course its the long weekend so can't get it looked at till tuesday, till then it will sit in my garage.

2007 Honda Ridgeline 97,000km
I had similar symptoms and the same warning lights after my truck sat for a month and I tried to drive it when I returned from vacation. I pulled the 15 amp ECU fuse (#8 in the fuse box by the passenger side fender), put the battery on a good 2 amp trickle charger overnight, reinstalled the fuse the next morning, did the idle learn procedure and now all is good. My battery is not the original.

Last edited by TRacer; 10-13-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added details for clarity
TRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.