Abou to purcahse a used Ridgeline....Common problem areas? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Fireaxe
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Abou to purcahse a used Ridgeline....Common problem areas?

Just asking what you guys think might be a few problem areas to look for?
We will be getting a 06-08 80k-150k miles Also what maintenance or replace/repairs should I be asking about for these mileage ranges?

Thanks
Fireaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: Abou to purcahse a used Ridgeline....Common problem areas?

It's important that the differential have been serviced (fluid change) regularly - it's a more complex piece than most.

There are some issues with rust under the door weatherstrip seals on some vehicles, and the pulleys that fold the rear seat legs up when the seats are folded can break, so check them. A couple of '06 specific things; wind noise at the windshield and the very early ones didn't have wiring for the reverse light pin of the 7-pin trailer hitch are the two I recall offhand. Nothing major.

First "big" service is timing belt at ~105K miles.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
lonestargringo
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

I got an 06 with 72k miles in the summer of 2010. Only put 13k miles on it since then. (my 'weekend' veh.) I've been told twice that I'll probably have to get my cv joints replaced soon, that they're fine now but are throwing grease. It'll be my next big repair this spring or so. Expected to be about $730. Other than that, I had about a $400 routine maintenance last fall. It's been extremely reliable otherwise. Great 'sut'.
lonestargringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Just follow the maintenance minder codes, for services needed, trans fluid is every 45k miles, same for transfer case, VTM is every 30k miles, use Honda fluids on everything, everything except motor oil, and transfer case. Use Honda plugs also.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Fireaxe,

Others above have covered most of the very few troublespots on the RL. The first year was amazingly solid, unlike most first year vehicles. If you tow, get a RL mfg after August 24,2005. That's when Honda corrected a hitch wiring issue affecting the reverse circuit.

Some RLs have had issues with water leaks in the cabin due to faulty seam sealant application at the factory. I really don't know how you can check for that except you could pop off a threshold cover and run you hand up under the carpet to check for any dampness. Or check for any musty smell inside.

Due to the unique rear diff and Honda AWD/4WD, routine maintenance is important, as mentioned above. Personally, I would prefer to find a vehicle with a maintenance history included. Failing that, I would want to do a complete fluid and filter change to establish a maintenance baseline.

If you are a DIYer, you can do all the routine maintenance and save much $$$. Every aspect of routine maintenance is covered, often with pics or video, here at the ROC.

Do you know the difference in the trim lines? RT, RTX, RTS, RTL? Learn how the Maintenance Minder works. It's a good system but takes some mental adjustment if you're used to maintenance schedules.

Most importantly, ask questions here. I'll bet the ROC has seen most issues that are likely to occur with the RL.

Good luck!

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargringo View Post
I got an 06 with 72k miles in the summer of 2010. Only put 13k miles on it since then. (my 'weekend' veh.) I've been told twice that I'll probably have to get my cv joints replaced soon, that they're fine now but are throwing grease. It'll be my next big repair this spring or so. Expected to be about $730. Other than that, I had about a $400 routine maintenance last fall. It's been extremely reliable otherwise. Great 'sut'.
Two things.
1) You may save yourself the CV joint job if new clamps or tightening the old ones stop the grease leak... unless you've lost too much grease.

2) $400 routine maintenance sounds like a dealer service. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're DIY inclined, I'll bet that service would have cost you about $100 for fluids and filters. What was it? An A136 or B136 service?

Just tossing out the DIY option for anyone so inclined. The RL is easy to DIY routine maintenance and it does offer significant $$ savings.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Welcome to the club...

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

For east coasters or places close to ocean, there is an issue with some early models using steel washers that rust on the tranny radiator lines, they break and cause a leak and damage to the tranny if not noticed right when it happens, to prevent this, the steel washers should be replaced with stainless steel, aluminum or washers that don't rust.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Check this "Shoppin' and Test Drivin'" sticky thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...read.php?t=376
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
jyeat
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I would also check to make sure any recalls have been addressed. I know there was a wiring harness recall last year. It was for the blower motor and was located up under the dash on the passenger side.
jyeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.