Taking the Mystery Out of the Maintenance Minder System - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
McRidgeline
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Taking the Mystery Out of the Maintenance Minder System

Alrighty then... found the answer to my own question through another post on the awesome ROC. Disregard my earlier question on 'how to reset' the MM. It pays to read the Owners Manual AND search the ROC! Thanks!
McRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
theLine
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

[QUOTE=Webwader. When the oil life reaches [B]15%[/B], youíll also see a two-part maintenance item code. This code tells you what items need servicing when you have the engine oil replaced. The first part of the code is the main code. Itís either A or B, never both. /QUOTE]

So, would it be accurate to say that if I change the oil before it reaches 15% then I will never see the additional A and B codes. Because I never have. I've asked the question before but you may have finally explained why.

I bought my Ridge used from a Honda dealer. It had 20K miles and the dealer had serviced it and reset the MM. At 25K and 30K I changed the oil and reset the minder. I don't recall the oil life percentage but it was probably not down to 15%. So, is that why I never see these additional A and B codes people talk about?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
BillB
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
So, would it be accurate to say that if I change the oil before it reaches 15% then I will never see the additional A and B codes. Because I never have. I've asked the question before but you may have finally explained why.
Unfortunately, you are correct. You need to get a better history from the dealer you bought your RL from as to exactly what service they did to your truck and if any TSBs were applied in its prior ownership if that can be determined. At 15,000, the most important non-oil change service that should have been done was the first changing of VTM4 fluid. After that first change, this fluid does not need changing until the 45,000 mark unless you do towing and /or other severe condition driving and then it is on an every 15,000 cycle. Another important early service is the engine air and cabin filter replacements and that should be done around 1 year of use or in the30,000 range if you are a heavy mileage driver.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #14
theLine
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Thanks BillB. I appreciate you taking the time to post the explanation. Although I'd read about the A and B codes in the manual I was mystified as to why they never showed up on the minder like people have described. Thumbs up!

Maybe it's a bad assumption but, since it's a Honda certified vehicle, to 100K miles, I figured Honda is keeping an eye on the dealer to make sure they (Honda) don't have to cover unnecessary repairs. I had the drivetrain fluids changed at 30K, just in case
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Redman
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTX
Steel Blue / Gray

Smile Re: Taking the Mystery Out of the Maintenance Minder System

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRidgeline View Post
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask as 'the new guy' and learn something.

If you change the oil yourself, or whatever maintenance is recommended by the Maintenance Minder (MM), how does the MM know that the Maint. has been performed and reset itself? Or do you reset that yourself through the 'reset' function, etc.? (Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough through the Owner's Manual!!!) Thanks!
Keep reading in the owner's manual!
It gives resetting instructions that amount to holding the reset button down ubtil the display resets. - 10 to 13 seconds. It is that easy.
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
KMVET
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

Are the 2006 maintenance codes you provided applicable to 2009 vehicles?

Badgeless 09' Sterling Grey Metallic RTL, Custom Leather, OEM Door Edge Guards, OEM Foglights, AVS Hood Deflector, AVS In-Channel, Visors, Tint, Rear Mud Flaps, Taillight Garnish, GrillCraft Black Upper/Lower Mesh Grill, V-LED's interior lights, SportWing moldings, 5S Dude license frame, Super Bumper
KMVET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Mitchie
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Formal Black

Most likely, but all the maintenance items are listed in the owner's manual.
06 EX-L Navi, back up camera (self installed) factory fog lights (modded), bug deflector, Torza top hard hat, running boards. Custom K&N intake, Magnaflow exhaust, 22" Paladin wheels w/Hankook tires. Now AVP ventshades and K2 azzera tail lights. More to come....
Mitchie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #18
gear jammer
2006 RT
Formal Black

Does the MM take in to account for what kind of oil I use? I've been told synthetic lasts longer than conventional. I've never used synthetic, so I can't attest to that one way or the other, it's just what I've heard. I'm sure others have heard that too. If it is true, then would the MM give me more time to change the oil, or does it just assume I'm using conventional?

Last edited by gear jammer; 06-22-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: spelling
gear jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
dk miller
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Does the MM take in to account for what kind of oil I use?
No, the MM does not know what brand, type, or viscosity of oil you put in the motor. It is programmed assuming you have complied with the manufacturers requirements.
Synthetic oils are fine lubricants and have better flow characteristics in cold temperatures. Don't fall for the extended drain interval hype. These oils should be changed out the same as any others.
dk miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #20
PATCH
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

So, I'm at 38K and my RTL is displaying B136 for maintenance soon. Does this mean I need all of the following?
B Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and
inspect several other items listed in the O/M.
Subcode What It Means
1 Rotate the tires.
3 Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
6 Replace the rear differential fluid (if equipped).
PATCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.