Temperature of Brake Rotor, Caliper, & Wheel ??? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Re: Temperature of Brake Rotor, Caliper, & Wheel ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
I had a heat issue with a rear wheel due to friction of a stuck brake pad. The wheel got VERY hot after only 15 minutes of driving. That wheel was fixed, but since then, I have been monitoring wheel temperatures after driving. I use a harbor freight infrared thermometer that tells the surface temperature of objects, link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html

I've been taking temperatures of wheels, rotors, & calipers after driving at night (so sunlight will not throw off the temp readings). I know that brake rotors get hot with use, but I just don't know "how hot is normal", because I want to make sure that none of my other wheels have a pad rubbing.

Outdoor air temperature = 77 degrees F

The rear brakes were serviced, & after driving, they are:
rear steel wheel near center = 90 degrees F
rear caliper = 145
rear rotor = 165

The front brakes after driving, are:
front steel wheel near center = 95 degrees F (about 5 degrees hotter)
front caliper = 155 (about 10 degrees hotter)
front rotor = 178 (about 13 degrees hotter)

After several tests, the fronts are consistently running a little bit hotter than the rears (at a max of about 15 degrees F hotter). I'm just not sure if that is normal or if maybe the fronts should be checked & lubed also?
I cannot give you a "normal" range, but your temps are well within reason.

When a caliper is stuck it doesn't take long to burn up the brake lining materials. You can normally smell them... a distinctive bad odor.

The Ridgeline uses ceramic based pads that are more temperature and fade resistant than traditional materials, but when a caliper is truly stuck it takes only minutes to destroy them.

All content i publish is Copyright at the time and date published by Joe Wolf. Opinion is not subject to Copyright.
csimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Oddjob
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2009 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

I'm watching a "Restruant Impossible" Chef Roberts is using one of those. I'm getting one now. lol.....
2006 & 09 RTL w/o Nav. Motto: "Be not drunk with wine." EPH5:18 As I spent 10years in a BATU.
RETIRED March 2011
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Checkmate
ROC Rank: Freshman
2011 RT
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Thanks for the feedback everybody. On a side note, the harbor freight infrared thermometer may be on sale now for $30, not sure if that is everywhere or just in my area.

The infrared thermometer has many uses, but I especially like to use it to cook restaurant-grade steaks at home. I get a cast iron griddle plate* up to about 600F using the infrared thermometer, then toss on a thick juicy steak using metal tongs.**

I sear both sides for about 90 seconds, then put steak on a smaller metal tray & into the oven under the broiler at 500F for 5-10 minutes (rare-medium doneness). When done this way, you can make a steak at home that's on par with Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.***

(*Note: when cooking at 600F on a hi power gas burner, use cast iron cookware ONLY...others will be ruined)
(**Note: Sear steak OUTDOORS using hi heat source (ie: BBQ or turkey fryer burner) produces SMOKE! Sometimes grease from seared steak will catch flame briefly, & airborne grease will smell up your house...do NOT try this indoors).
(***The results are SO worth it!)
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Checkmate
2011 RT

I just noticed that other members like cooking great food, so here is another very useful cooking gadget: Comark thermometer

It rapidly shows the internal temperature of foods. It allows you to cook meats & fish (esp. chicken & turkey) nice & juicy, without making it dry & tough. It also prevents foodborne illness, because you can get the meat cooked to safe internal temp, without overcooking.

Also shows temp of hot & cold beverages, soups stews so you won't burn your taste buds off.

They use it professionally & it lasts about a year or more in a busy professional kitchen, but for home use, it will last much longer & works totally awesome.

Comark Thermometer Link:
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

My wife just uses the smoke alarm as a thermometer. Wonder if that would work on the Ridge?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
kabatc
2011 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Home Depot's everyday price is just under $30:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Infrared-Thermometers
kabatc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
Checkmate
2011 RT

The Ryobi looks nice & for a nice price...I wonder if it has the laser targeting? The harbor freight model has a laser sight, so you can pinpoint the heat reading. When I did my brakes, I could aim the laser at the rotor, & then slide over to the caliper, & watch the heat #'s change...that's how I was pinpointing the heat source. Not sure if that feature is really needed or not, but just thought I'd mention that. If you wok & roll a big stir fry, the laser target beam will cut through the wok smoke, making a very cool Terminator 1 style laser effect !
Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #18
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Yes, the HD unit has laser targeting. They call it laser guide.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

One reason why the fronts might be a little hotter is via conduction from the engine.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Civic LX, 2006 Ridgeline RTL, 2000 CR-V EX, 1991 Accord EX
chiph is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I'm LOLing. I took my race Evo on a run down a local mountain a few months ago - lots of heavy braking. We lost the brakes (factory Brembos, but with stock "street" pads) about halfway down, as expected. Completed the run on the gears, not touching the brakes. When we got to the bottom fifteen minutes later, we spritzed a little water on the *rim*, not even the rotor, and it spit and boiled off. Took another half hour of cruising to cool the brakes down enough to get pedal back. The Brembo red on the calipers turned "warranty brown".

Brakes get hot - it's what they're *supposed* to do. They convert kinetic energy to heat, act as a heat sink, and then bleed the heat off via (primarily) convection. It is a good test of mechanical drag or wear to compare temps as you did, but your numbers are not unusual at all.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.