Strut life - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
WadeHampton
ROC Rank: Freshman
2010 RTS
Formal Black

Strut life

Greetings all. My 2010 ridge was in for service a couple of days ago. I have 42000 miles on it now. The service department informed me that my rear left strut was leaking and needed to be replaced. They quoted me $306. I found a mechanic to do it $100 cheaper. I was wondering what kind of mileage I should expect from my struts. Dealership says 40000, but they just want my money lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
WadeHampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Strut life

I guess it all depends on how hard you drive your truck and what you use it for. Somebody who keeps their vehicle on pavement and never tows is going to get much more life out of their struts (or other components for that matter), than somebody who drives on rough dirt roads, off roads at all, hauls heavy loads frequently (that are close or over the truck's load limit), and/or tows a lot.

I don't think anybody can tell anybody how long their struts are going to last without knowing how they drive their truck/what they use it for. I mean, the service guy telling you that the struts should last 40,000 miles when your truck has 42,000 miles on it and one is leaking...?...coincidence...?...I think not.

Take it for what it is worth...but I have a little over 112,000 on my truck and still have the original struts. Of course, my truck has spent most of its life on pavement, have only hauled a couple of loads that were close to the load limit, and have only towed smaller things like golf carts and riding lawn mowers.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.

Last edited by cdepuydt; 08-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Parsec
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

My struts are at 137k and still going strong. It all depends on what types of roads you drive on. They should last forever on the highway and smooth pavement. If you have a few potholes on your local roads then in my experience my previous cars struts have lasted about 100-120k miles.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
WadeHampton
2010 RTS
Formal Black

My truck is on pavement 95% of the time. I'm very careful on dirt roads and don't haul anything very heavy. Very rarely go over the speed limit. I can't remember hauling butt through pot holes lol. I just thought 42000 was a little premature for one to go out.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Humble Pie
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Formal Black

If it's really leaking...replace it...I had oil in the garage right at the back left strut.....started having handling issues and I could tell it was the left rear....took it to the dealer and sure enough, it was the strut....I had both rear's replaced and now I can tell that the fronts are weak....this is at 85,000miles......
Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

There have been people who have had to replace their rear struts for leaks. Not common, but it happens.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Civic LX, 2006 Ridgeline RTL, 2000 CR-V EX, 1991 Accord EX
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
GCWaters

Not the Wade Hampton from the Acoustic Guitar Forum?
GCWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
WadeHampton
2010 RTS
Formal Black

I play acoustic guitar but I'm not on the forum lol.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
GCWaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHampton View Post
I play acoustic guitar but I'm not on the forum lol.

Funny! There are two of you!
GCWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.