Installing RF tweeters from component system? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
mtan123
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Installing RF tweeters from component system?

Hi Guys,

I got tired of buzzing coming out of the stock speakers and ended up breaking down and buying a sound system. I ended going with a Rockford Fosgate R165-S component system for the front and Rockford Fosgate R165 coaxials for the rear. No sub just yet, I'm going to hold off for now, but the aforementioned speakers will be plugged into a Pioneer P1400DVD HU. Amazon had both speaker packages for a pretty good deal considering, and based on the instructions from Crutchfield the speakers seem pretty easy to install. What I'm worried about is how to manage the tweeters. I pretty much presumed they'd fit in the stock tweeter locations, but I think they will be smaller in size than the oem tweeters. Any idea on how to make them fit snugly without rattling and making noise? Also, I'm not sure what to do about the crossover box, or if I have to worry about it. Amazon's only description says that the tweeter crossover is built into the midrange basket, of which I have no idea what that means. What should I do?

I also bought wiring speaker harnesses from Crutchfield in case I sell the truck as well as speaker adapters from Best Buy.

Does this sound alright? Is there anything I'm missing? I'm new to car audio and enjoy the DIY project (and avoiding a $500 bath for someone else to install it), but am always grateful for any input you guys would have. For the moment, Amazon has the speakers backordered until the end of the month, so I have pleeenty of time before I actually dive into this.

Thanks for looking!
mtan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Installing RF tweeters from component system?

Good deal

No dash location installation recommended unless you want to fish new wire through the door and up to the dash, easy 2 hours per door.

Simply put them on the window sail panel like this http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...14&postcount=9 it will simplify everything and save time, If you really want them on the dash pay a pro to do it, you can use zip ties with existing holes available on the grills connecting 2 or more to reach the areas needed or cross them to hold them, some foam insulation seal could also help.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Here is the dash grill picture with zip ties to get the idea of one of few ways you can use those zip ties. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...&postcount=587
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
mtan123
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Excellent, thanks for your help!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Sure! Those RF components should have a separate large crossover that needs to be installed in the door just behind the door panel to make the connections.

Try it and let us know how they work driven by the Pioneer head unit.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
loginfailed
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Good deal

No dash location installation recommended unless you want to fish new wire through the door and up to the dash, easy 2 hours per door.
If you want to use the stock tweeter locations, it can still be done without running wires into the doors.

You can catch the speaker wires in the kick panels before they enter the door. Cut the OEM wires. Hook the radio side to the input on the crossover. The other side (wires heading to the door speaker) to the woofer output of the crossovers. Then run a new wire from the crossover tweeter output to the factory tweeter location.

This is how I did it in my RTL.
loginfailed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
mtan123
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

That sounds like a very good option. Do you happen to have any pictures from when you installed your system? It's a little hard for me to visualize at the moment.

Again, I'm trying to make this as un-intrusive as possible in case I sell. While going through the sail panels seems waaaay easier, I'd rather not blow a hole in the door just yet if I can avoid it.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

What loginfailed is saying is put the crossovers in the kick panel area, connect the leads coming from the HU in the xover main input, then connect the xover woofer outputs to the side that goes to the doors, then fish new wire from the dash tweeter location down to the kick panel where the xovers is and connect the new tweeter wires to the tweeter connectors on the xover. Fishing new tweeter wire is not that hard, just need a flashlight to light from the top to catch the wire on the foot area for each side.

Xover has main input, woofer outputs and tweeter outputs (6 connectors) The issue with this method is cutting factory wire to save some time.

By installing them on the door/ window seal panel everything stays on the door, you can use the speaker wire adapters to plug those leads into the xover main input then new wire to the 6.5 inch driver from the xover and the same thing with the tweeter, just need to drill a small hole on the plastic triangle part to mount it and wire it.

Sometimes tracing and finding factory wiring takes time also, you decide if the dash tweeter location is worth the work, either method will work, just a preference.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
mtan123
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Can I solder instead of cut the factory wire?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtan123 View Post
Can I solder instead of cut the factory wire?

It is not a matter or tapping in to the wire, it has to be cut and separated, 2 separate leads go in the main xover input then mid driver xover out to mid driver and tweeter xover output to tweeter.

The only way to not cut any wires is to do it all in the door by using the factory speaker leads as main input for the cross over then a few feet to each driver from the crossover to to the drivers.

Like I said the box, takes a main speaker signal, then splits the high and the lows in to 4 separate wires, pos and neg for each driver. Maybe this picture helps to see why you can't tap or solder wires without cutting them
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Tags
rockford fosgate , sound system , speaker , tweeter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.