Brake Controller Wiring Question - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
RidgeInTheVille
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Brake Controller Wiring Question

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to install my Prodigy brake controller and had a couple of questions. I spent the morning scouring the threads but still wanted to ask these.

I had my dealer install the hitch and wiring harness but nothing with the Prodigy. I have the harness sub-assembly along with the Prodigy assembly and can connect them easily. I did this with my Expedition.

I saw one picture from Webwader showing the location of the Prodigy but I was wondering if anybody else had pictures of it. Did you just screw thru the driver's dashboard lower cover? My RL is a lease so I don't want to put holes in that will be seen.

Where is the gray connector located for the brake controller harness? I saw posts saying it was over the parking brake. When my dealer installed my hitch, I asked them to remove the tape and lower it. I looked last night and I saw a paper wire tied to a connector but it was on the accelerator pedal side under the dash. I can't remember what they wrote on it but it sounded like it referred to the brake controller. If they untaped the wire, could they have moved it over there? Is there only one connector under the dash that the subharness will plug into?

Thanks

SOLD - 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD EX-L w/Nav, factory running boards, and rear splash guards - Billet Silver Metallic
LEASE ENDED - 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL w/Nav, trailer hitch, rear under-seat cargo tray, Murdock bed mat, Murdock trunkliner, cargo net for in-bed trunk, and Torza Hard Hat tonneau cover - Nighthawk Black Pearl
RidgeInTheVille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Webwader
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Brake Controller Wiring Question

Quote:
Did you just screw thru the driver's dashboard lower cover? My RL is a lease so I don't want to put holes in that will be seen.
I did screw through the lower dash cover, but you could probably use some good double-sided tape if you didn't want to drill holes. I had the dealer install the harness for my Prodigy so I don't know how long the gray connector harness is.
If your RL was produced before 8/24/05 but the the trailer harness is of the latest design, you might have an extra 4-pin connector under the dash. See step 12 of the harness installation instructions. The right connector is four wires in-line and the other looks to be smaller and a square configuration. Hope this helps.
2008 Ranger 1860 Angler w/150 Yamaha - 3,950 lb

"Things will get better as they improve."
Webwader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
RidgeInTheVille
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Thanks Webwader. I made sure to get a 9/05 build so I could have the door unlocking feature. I might have to plug in the harness and check the voltage on the leads to see if I have the correct one. Not sure about the double sided tape but thanks for the suggestion.

SOLD - 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD EX-L w/Nav, factory running boards, and rear splash guards - Billet Silver Metallic
LEASE ENDED - 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL w/Nav, trailer hitch, rear under-seat cargo tray, Murdock bed mat, Murdock trunkliner, cargo net for in-bed trunk, and Torza Hard Hat tonneau cover - Nighthawk Black Pearl
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
ridged
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeInTheVille
Not sure about the double sided tape but thanks for the suggestion.
Some ROC-Head (I've forgotten their name) mentioned that they used Velcro to attach their brake controller to the dash so I would think that a high quality tape should work too.
ridged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
RidgeInTheVille
Nighthawk Black / Beige

I worry about the after effects of the adhesive. Maybe I can retrofit an old clip from a garage door opener. Hmmmmm It's crazy enough it just might work......

Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Webwader
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
I worry about the after effects of the adhesive.
I have used both Velcro and double-sided tape on dashboards with no after effects. The adhesive will come off with mineral spirits which does not harm the plastic.
If you need it, here are the color codes for the Honda plug.
Pin 1 Blue Wire - Battery
Pin 2 Wht/Blk Wire - Brake Light Input
Pin 2 Brn/Wht Wire - Output to Trailer Connection
Pin 4 Blk Wire - Ground
2008 Ranger 1860 Angler w/150 Yamaha - 3,950 lb

"Things will get better as they improve."
Webwader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
RidgeInTheVille
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Anybody try to put it in the 'not an ashtray'? Seems like that would be an ideal place for it. Is there room behind it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.