Camera Install - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Whaleya
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Camera Install

I installed the rear camera last night, now I just need to finish putting things back together.

It's a major job to remove all the trim and the back seats just to be able to route the wires up to the nav system under the driver's seat.

Some tips (in no general order)
-Once the rear bumper is unclipped, peel the sides from the body before trying to pull the bumper rearward.

- To remove the cab side bed panel, also remove the right upper tie down hook (the manual only says the left)

-To remove the electrical connector for the taillights, press the back tab to remove the connector from the body, then press the unlock tab on the connector to seperate.

- The nutserts are rubber so no install tool is needed, however the screws are 1-2 mm too short so you have to press firmly when starting to screw them in. They spec 8mm drill bit but 5/16 works (7.94mm).

- The metal on the tailgate is very, very thin. Be careful when center punching and drilling so you don't dent the tailgate.
I slightly dented the tailgate when center punching.

- Add a bit of protection to the wire where it exits the top "tube" inside the tailgate (about 2" from the camera itself) You'll see where it might chafe.

- I am debating if replacing all the clips and holders for the third brakelight is a good idea. Honda has new clips with the kit, however I wonder if prying the old holders (yellow) does more damage then only replacing damaged ones.

- Apply a bit of silicone when seating the camera gromet in the tailgate, the touchup paint you applied to the hole may be abraded from the wire running through the hole, plus the silicone acts like a lube, making the seating easier.

- Apply electrical tape to the camera lens before starting work, for protection.

- The rear upper trim is removed by prying the 1" side airbag logo clip out, but only about 1". The clip doesn't remove completely from the trim.

-On the B pillar trim, peel the sides out when removing it.

-The upper hooks for the back seat are about 3" long so the seat has to be lifted up at least 3" after unbolting.

-The seat is heavy and requires 2 people. Trust me on this.

- Be careful when routing the wiring by the rear side impact sensor.

- If you can't remove the rear bed light, it's OK to remove the entire panel first and then disconnect the light.

- Unplug the battery since you are working near the airbags, seat belt pretensioners, etc.

-The camera housing is a dark gray and has a slight texture to the surface. Something to consider if you are thinking of painting it.

That's it for the comments and suggestions. It's a fairly involved project so if you aren't comfortable removing lots of trim, the bed sides, bumper, seat, seat belts, etc you may want to buy the kit and bring to an independent mechanic.

You will need a torque wrench for the seat belt bolts, T40 and T50 torx bits. and trim pullers in addition to the standard tools. You will also want an air ratchet as there are lots of bolts to unbolt.

-W
Whaleya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
bongus
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Send a message via Yahoo to bongus
Re: Camera Install

Great description. I don't have Navi but I'm sure those that do will appreciate all the effort you have made. Can we see some pictures?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
vertrkr
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Send a message via AIM to vertrkr

Whaleya, you win the prize man. I bow to you sir and congrats on taking that on yourself. That's one complicated install. I feared it so much I vowed to take mine to the dealer when I get it. Might re-think that but I'm still scared.

One question though. Is the camera placement on the tailgate critical? I was going to get a shell/cap and I'm pretty sure I'll have to mount the camera lower down than where Honda says to mount it.
vertrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
zero
Green With Envy Moderator
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Amazon Green / Olive

Send a message via AIM to zero

Damn impressive!! That took some guts.

Thanks for the write-up.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
laserfan
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

What do y'all think about putting a keyhole camera in-or-around the rear bumper, then routing the wire underneath the Ridge vs. all that panel disassembly.

I've purchased an lcd monitor (includes mirror and light) for the driver's side visor and am now trying to decide what camera to buy. Fairly wide-angle keyhole rear view cameras with can be had for about $60 bucks.

Here's what I mean:
Attached Images

Last edited by laserfan; 04-05-2005 at 01:03 PM.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Whaleya
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Hmmm, you will have to get the wires into the cab somewhere, I suppose you could route them under the truck and enter through a firewall grommet instead of the grommet behind the rear seat.

Or you could drill a hole in the floor and install a grommet. You would need to be very careful on priming the metal and sealing the hole as splashing salt water can be nasty.

-W
Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
bongus
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Send a message via Yahoo to bongus

Hey laserfan, do you have a link to that product? Looks interesting. Placing the monitor and mirror in the driver's side visor will address the concerns about not having a mirror on the visor.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
maybearidge
ROC Rank: Junior

I like the idea of it playing through the NAVI screen. I just don't like the big "lump" on the tailgate. Are there other systems that can work through the NAVI with a different camera??
maybearidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
vertrkr
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Send a message via AIM to vertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybearidge
I like the idea of it playing through the NAVI screen. I just don't like the big "lump" on the tailgate. Are there other systems that can work through the NAVI with a different camera??
The lump problem is inherent with any wide angle camera used in this situation. You could flush mount the camera to the tailgate or bumper but since it's such a wide angle view half the screen would be the sky and also would not see objects really low and close to the bumper. To overcome this you need to have the lens a little bit away from the mounting surface so it can be tilted down about 40 degrees thus the lump.

Last edited by vertrkr; 04-05-2005 at 03:36 PM.
vertrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
Whaleya
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

The wiring harness has power, reverse camera sense, video and video ground.

I'm not sure what "reverse camera sense" is, but I would guess either a resister to VCC or a resister to ground.

IF the video signal is normal NTSC or PAL, which I assume and hope it is, you could hook any camera up to the nav system if you wanted.

The nice thing about OEM the camera location is that is looks down to the bumper, which I don't think you could do without mounting the camera as a "bump" on this truck. Other SUVs and cars have a nice indentation for the license plate and can mount the camera on the underside of it.

As a side note I am thinking about the following:
1) Install a camera on the back of my camper
2) Install a 2.4GHz transmitter in the camper
3)Install a receiver in the truck
4) Wire in a video signal relay
5)Wire in a reverse signal bypass for the nav system

The result would be that I could flip a switch and see behind the camper in the nav screen both on the highway and backing up. The two questions are: what is the video signal input specs and what happens to the nav system if the GPS shows the truck doing 70mph yet the reverse switch is active? If I'm lucky the engineering is "dumb" and when the reverse signal is active the screen displays the camera image without throwing any error codes.

First I need to finish the camera install....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.