My Windshield problem gets worse - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Ruffles
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Unhappy My Windshield problem gets worse

So, I'm on my second windshield trying to get rid of the original whistle and wind rush that came with the first replacement. This morning, I get in my truck and see water dripping down the dash and the inside of the windshield (snowed all night). Looks like windshield number 2 leaks.

I'm leaving for Moab tomorrow so I called the dealership. They cancelled some other appointments and had me bring it in for another windshield (#3). We were going to do this one when I got back but the leak moved things up a bit. They gave me a new Civic SI to scoot around town with while the fixed it and were done in a couple of hours. They took it thru the car wash and claimed it doesn’t leak and the noises are fixed. It was all covered with tape but the tech said he talked to Honda and they told him to double seal it...i.e. glue the trim to the windshield as well as the frame. I didn't think much of this but said I'd let them know if it worked.

On the ride home, the wind rush was gone. I was crossing my fingers hoping it will still be gone when the tape is off but so far so good. Then, a couple of hours later, I had to go pick up my kids so I'm cruising around town and I think I hear the whistle again . It's faint but I think it's still there. When I got home, I noticed the tape is coming off so I remove some of it and was disappointed in how it looked. You can see the glue on the outside of the trim. I called the dealer and the guy that did the repair explained that the tape wasn't supposed to come off yet. He cancelled his plans and had me bring it back in. He used some solvent to remove the glue and is redoing it tonight. I'll pick it up in the morning on my way out of town.

As frustrating as this problem has been, I can't say enough good things about Smith Honda as they have been very good at working with me on this.

Here are some big pics so you can see how it looked. He claimed that the instructions to "double seal" the trim came straight from Honda and that if the tape hadn't come off and disturbed the glue, it would look fine. I guess we'll see tomorrow. When I drove it back to the dealer tonight without the tape, the wind noise WAS gone so maybe this will turn out to be a good fix. When I get back, I'll post some more pics of the "fixed" version. Keep your fingers crossed!

Ruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
CBRidgeJockey
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: My Windshield problem gets worse

that is pretty fugly mess.... I would not want to look at that for the next 5- 10 years... hope they clean it up and do a better job and finishing off the seams on the seal. Makes me kinda paranoid ... I wait to hear, see and leak each day... mmmm Hopefully my Ridge stays perfect...
Old 03-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
BillB
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

That is completely unacceptible and I hope you do not have to clean this up yourself. However, if this is what my dealer did to my truck, I would be looking for another dealer. I too have a similar problem with multiple windshield attempts and also with some dealer sloppiness that led me to have a heart to heart with the technical manager and the dealer now knows exactly what I mean by neat. It is amazing what some people will try to get away with because some consumers just do not speak out. Be strong and stick to your guns.

On the bad side is that no matter how well a windshield is sealed, the noise will probably never completely go away. The level of noise coming from the windshield seal and trim is relative to how you tolerate it. Some members claim their truck is silent. Well that is just impossible. Silent means NO noise. Some noise exists in every vehicle on the road, not just Ridgelines. Some like us may be more sensitive to this particular noise and we are not the lucky ones to have that sensitivity. As soon as it warms up, I am going to do what I think is the ultimate sealant job with a new piece of trim that my dealer gave me for free. If it works even a little bit, I will give a full posting and anyone wanting to try this radical seal and trim will have the technique availalble.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
ridged
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
White / Olive

If my Ridgeline was returned to me in that condition, I would pop a cork. I hope that your dealer resolves the issue to your satisfaction.
ridged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Hawk
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Wow! That's justification to move on to another dealer.

Definitely, NOT Honda quality........
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
tlaudio
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

That is sure some embarrassing sloppy work!

It is unfortunate that not all Honda dealerships are created equal!

I have worked for a lot of nation wide companies and not a one of them were run the same even though they all used the same training manuals/videos!

Consistency is hard to find these days!

TL

Last edited by tlaudio; 03-08-2006 at 02:44 PM.
tlaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Blue
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

My Windshield problem gets worse

I was on a odyssey forum and was amzed that the windshield problem has existed prior to Ridgeline. So this is not unique and Honda has a QC problem. Thank god mine is not one of them.
When: 3-1-2005, Where: Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA, Why: Tailgate, Added: Retrax, Problems: water leak on floor. Found 2 bolts and 3 nuts on the floor. Also own: 98 Toyota Sienna, 99 acura TL, bicycle
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
eshuerger
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights
I would have liked to here their explanation on why they think by removing the tape alittle early would have left a mess like that. Thats a bunch of crap. I'm surprised a dealer has their mech. even attempt to install a windshield? I've taken other trucks in under warranty and they call in a professional windshield installer to do it for them. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with no leaks and a very faint door mirror wind noise. Hope they dont rub the hell out of your paint job and create more problems.
That work is just not acceptable! How in the world can you try to keep your Ridge clean. I can't imagine what it will look like every time you just want to get your windshield clean with gook just running all over the place during the summer. I'd be mad as hell!!!
White door edge guards
White ROC window decal
In channel widow visors
Rear mud flaps
Motorola IHF1000 Blue Tooth hands free kit
New rear bumper from hit and run.
eshuerger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Ruffles
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Update...

Well, I picked up the truck the next moring. While it looked better than the pictures, it still isn't right. I went on my trip to Moab and happily, the wind rush noise was gone. When I got to Moab, I ran thur a car was and the sealant pealed off on the sides of the windshield. I still don't get the rushing sound so I guess that was comming from the top. The sad news is that the whistle is still there.

I just got off the phone with them and scheduled another appointment for next Tuesday for windshield #4. If this one isn't right, I think I'll start to persue a swap for another truck. Wish me luck.
Ruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #10
ninefive0
2007 RTL
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaudio
That is sure some embarrassing sloppy work!

Consistency is hard to find these days!

TL
The problem is that nobody takes pride in the job they are paid to do. This is the same problem I had when the carpet was replaced in my truck and returned with blood stains on the new carpet.

There are a lot of lazy people in the world!

ninefive0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.