Wood Burning Stoves And Sinus Problems - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

View Poll Results: Wood burning stoves and sinus problems...
I use a wood burning stove and I have (or someone else in the house has) sinus problems. 3 15.79%
I use a wood burning stove and neither I nor anyone else in my house has sinus problems. 2 10.53%
I don't use a wood burning stove and I have sinus problems. 9 47.37%
I don't use a wood burning stove and I don't have sinus problems. 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
UglyTruckling
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Wood Burning Stoves And Sinus Problems

We use a little Jotul wood burning stove to heat our house. We have a relatively small house (1100 sq. ft.), and this stove is very efficient, keeping the main living areas of our house as warm as we want, and the bedrooms a little bit cooler. It's got a good EPA rating, so theoretically it's not putting out a bunch of goop into our valley air. We burn hard woods (almond and oak).

But... my husband and I have both developed annoying sinus problems since we've been using the wood stove (four years). I read somewhere about a study done in Canada that connected sinus problems to wood burning stoves.

I'm hoping to conduct my own little informal "study" here, for curiosity's sake. I'd appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
25 Year Honda Owner
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+
2013 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Wood Burning Stoves And Sinus Problems

We have a Buck stove in our basement den. Matter of fact we have a nice fire going tonight. No problems with sinus and I have had my share of sinus over the years. Only problem I have noticed is a little wood smoke oder in the den when the humidity is high and no fire.
25 Year Honda Owner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Webwader
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

UT, what's the humidity level in your house? If the wood stove is lowering the humidity too low, that might be a possible cause of sinus problems.
2008 Ranger 1860 Angler w/150 Yamaha - 3,950 lb

"Things will get better as they improve."
Webwader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Outhouse
ROC Rank: Freshman

I have, IMHO, the worst sinuses in the Universe. I have had surgery three times and have to go to the Dr. at least once a quarter to be scoped. The genesis of my problem is fungus. I live in Memphis, TN area and the climate here in the summer is akin to an armpit!
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
UglyTruckling
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Low humidity IS something my husband's told me he thinks is an issue in our house. We had an iron kettle we would put on the stove top with water in it, but I thought I could smell a metallic smell when we used it -- and I could never get the water level just right -- it either simmered up out of the spout, or it simmered dry overnight. I didn't like it. Maybe we need to look back into this, though....
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
ridgeNH
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Get a wood pellet stove, we heated the house all winter this year with ours.
ridgeNH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Hez
2006 RT
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Wood stoves are notorious for causing all kinds of respiratory problems including asthma in chilidren. And they are terrible for the environment with all the hydrocarbons spuwed unfiltered into the air. I personally don't think they are a clean or healthy way to heat your house.

I get the smoke sucked in my air exchanger from three woodstoves and some days my whole house reeks of burnt wood. Drives me nuts (but that is a whole other story).

rant over...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
UglyTruckling
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Glad to hear all sides of it. We specifically chose a stove with a good EPA rating, so as to minimize as much as possible the amount of stuff spewed.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
ridgeln
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

Send a message via AIM to ridgeln

Another Option:

Corn Stove.

Sounds goofy, I know - but if you are in an area that has a lot of field corn, you can heat your house (barn, cabin, etc) using approx 2 bushels a day. I can get a bushel of corn delivered for about $2/b - so for $4 can keep the house toasty! Ok - so i don't actually heat my house this way, but have a neighbor trying to convince me to buy one for my barn (probably next year - heating season is almost over).

Low ash, clean burn, little to no smoke. Biofuel.

There are a number of companies that make them and you can get them in all sizes.

I've got a friend who'se been heating his house w/ a corn stove for 10+ years - neither he nor his wife have any sinus problems. Nor does their 4 y.o. son have sinus or asthma.

-ridgeln
Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Ahab
2006 RT
Steel Blue / Gray

We have a Napoleon with low EPA emissions. Burn mesquite and oak. Up here the humidity is naturally low but we always have a large cast iron teapot on the stove filled with water. It lasts about two days. No problems.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.