Best all terrain tire for stock rims? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Motoman
ROC Rank: Freshman

Best all terrain tire for stock rims?

I just moved to a ranch in Colorado and got my first rock puncture. Truck has 2800 miles on it and the tire is ruined. I want as much tire that will fit, without modification. Has anyone else used the stock rims with a tire change like this?
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
RJPerset
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Re: Best all terrain tire for stock rims?

Get a LOAD "C" or "D" Range. More side wall plys/belts. Ride will be considerably rougher due to the increased sidewalls and lack of sidewall flex. I don't know but most likely the honda has "B" maybe "C" load range tires.

Don't quote me on this but I believe, "B" has 2 plys, "C", 4 plys "D" has 6 and "E"-8 plys/belts. You can google it, lol. When FORD was givin away tires cause of FIRESTONE, my dealer mistakinly put E's on my Excursion instead of the "D"s. Got em with about 45000 miles on and still had tread on them. Good till 100,000 now. Thanks FORD.
2006 NISSAN TITAN LE 4x4 CrewCab Rear DVD, Navigation, Off Road Package, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Rancho Shocks, BFG All T/A Tires, Sunroof, Fog Lights, Sliding Rear Window w/Defrost, Spray in bedliner, 350 Watt 10 speaker stere w/subwoofer, V-8 DOHC, 305HP 379 ftlbs torque. Plus More Room, More stuff!

Last edited by RJPerset; 04-03-2006 at 07:11 PM.
RJPerset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Directman
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RT
White / Beige

While living in the desert the Park Rangers used Goodyear Wranglers. They found these to be the best in avoiding side wall puncture.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
lowrider90
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directman
While living in the desert the Park Rangers used Goodyear Wranglers. They found these to be the best in avoiding side wall puncture.
Cooper ST, 245/70/17, you will loves these. go to cooper site and check them out. I have the cooper STT which are an M/T tire and love them, but i'm glad i don't highway drive much, they are noisy but do they perform. the ST's are a more user freindly tire for the road, but are more agressive then most regular ol AT tirs.

i think they are a 10 ply tire
lowrider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Truck2212
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider90
Cooper ST, 245/70/17, you will loves these. go to cooper site and check them out. I have the cooper STT which are an M/T tire and love them, but i'm glad i don't highway drive much, they are noisy but do they perform. the ST's are a more user freindly tire for the road, but are more agressive then most regular ol AT tirs.

i think they are a 10 ply tire
I am sure there are pictures somewhere on this web site of tires, but if its possible can you post a picture of them. I would like to see the M/T on.

Thanks,
Truck2212
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
toolz_not_toyz
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Just got my ridge a little over a week ago and have been lurking before that. This is an upgrade from a '78 Ford F150 4x4 with 33" BFGs. Naturally, I like the lifted look and lowrider90's truck looks pretty nice. But as he mentions, the Coopers that he has are probably pretty noisy on the pavement.

A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned here are:

1) upgrading the brakes when oversizing the tires.

2) doing something to recalibrate the speedo and odo.

3) what about the navi (if you have it).

Yeah, you'll see folks say that the CG is changed if you put a lift on these things, but that's true for any lift. In fact, it's true if you upgrade to a tractor trailer too. Beats me why anyone would say the CG will change, Duh.

Because of 1 & 2 above, I'm thinking of sticking with the stock tires and maybe adding the Truxxxx lift anyway. But before I do even that I'm gonna wait and see what happens with these kits as we know the Truxxx kit is slightly different at the moment from the Skyjacker kit.

As for the navi, it seems you might be able to recalibrate that for tire size from the diagnostic menu (haven't looked, but I read here that there is a setting that menu). Yay.

I'm sure in time more accessories will come out for these trucks. Let's just hope it's before they change the model so that new accessories still fit our trucks!
toolz_not_toyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
kanji
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Send a message via AIM to kanji Send a message via Yahoo to kanji

i heard from somebody that there's a tire out in the market that uses kevlar on the side wall from rock or any side wall punctures. Does anyone know the brand of the tire? Would this tire be a good option to use?

"My personal world has collapsed, and seeing the outside world around me, I feel lost and confused with desire and nothing to focus on." -Anonymous
kanji is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
RJPerset

As for the navi, it seems you might be able to recalibrate that for tire size from the diagnostic menu (haven't looked, but I read here that there is a setting that menu). Yay.

You don't have to calibrate anything on the Navigation after changing to larger tires. It works on the satellite signals and will calculate the vehicle speed through global positioning. Navi has nothing to do with your speedo/odometer.

As for KEVLAR tires try DICK CEPEK, MICKEY THOMPSON, they are expensive and don't last long (LOW TREAD LIFE) if you run them on the road.
2006 NISSAN TITAN LE 4x4 CrewCab Rear DVD, Navigation, Off Road Package, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Rancho Shocks, BFG All T/A Tires, Sunroof, Fog Lights, Sliding Rear Window w/Defrost, Spray in bedliner, 350 Watt 10 speaker stere w/subwoofer, V-8 DOHC, 305HP 379 ftlbs torque. Plus More Room, More stuff!
RJPerset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
sonny415
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji
i heard from somebody that there's a tire out in the market that uses kevlar on the side wall from rock or any side wall punctures. Does anyone know the brand of the tire? Would this tire be a good option to use?
I just tried in the Good year silent armor in a 255/70/17, they looked awsome and they were made out of kevlar. of course the didnt fit without modifications. so i am still stuck with a lifted ridge and a toss up with the cooper stt or the revo's.
sonny415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
AMLEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny415
I just tried in the Good year silent armor in a 255/70/17, they looked awsome and they were made out of kevlar. of course the didnt fit without modifications. so i am still stuck with a lifted ridge and a toss up with the cooper stt or the revo's.
I feel your pain brother..I tried the samething with a small modification and they still didnt work..I ended up with the goodyear wrangler 245x70..which would have fit anyway..255 rubbed the guards? or rubbed without the guards?
AMLEO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.