Bugshield: OEM vs. Aftermarket - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
bigred1
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Send a message via AIM to bigred1
Bugshield: OEM vs. Aftermarket

I'm in the market for a bugshield but am torn on which one to get. Should i go with the OEM or Aftermarket (Lund, AVS)? If you could please give me a few pro and cons on the two. I've seen a few pics of the OEM. If anyone has some of aftermarket shields could you please post so i can see the difference. If you have a good shot of the OEM could you post it also...(for those who have OEM)

Thanks in advance,
Scott (Bigred1)

Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Pizza Man
ROC Rank: 7k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: Bugshield: OEM vs. Aftermarket

Check out this thread of an aftermarket shield: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ible+deflector
I can't give an opinion on the OEM, I never considered it because it's smoke colored. I have no issues with mine, however.
Pizza Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Twintym
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

I went the same way as jsant01 after I saw his original post. The Wade deflector is easy to install and requires no stick-on hood bumpers like the OEM does. The price is better on the Wade too. I paid about $74 with freight from www.horsepowerfreaks.com. If you buy the clear one like jsant01 and I did, you can paint it body color and make it really blend into the front end. It's all about what you like best.

My Additions: 5S Dude Cubby Cover, Dress Bars, Doorsills & License Plate Frame / Magnaflow Custom Cat-Back Exhaust / PIAA Wipers and Xtreme White Plus Halogen Headlights / Infinity 6012si Speakers / Sportwing Side Mouldings / RTX Grille / OEM Back Up Camera / V-LEDS LED Lighting
Twintym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Truckin'
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Here's an upclose look at the OEM air deflector. We like it and never considered aftermarket for this accessory. I think the main reason is this was an accessory we purchased when we bought our truck and I don't think any aftermarket ones were out at that time.

I'm sure all of them are adequate products. Everyone seems to like the one they bought. It's going to come down to looks and price for you.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...lector+install
'06 Steel BLUE RTL with NAV, OEM roof rack, running boards, backup camera, hitch, rear mud guards, air deflector, underseat storage, body side moldings, pin stripes, decals, Doggie Deck, Retrax, vent visors, bull bar, dash plate, tubular hitch step, XM!!
Truckin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
CUinaRidge
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Does anybody have a Lund bug shield???

Like - Dislike / Install easy - difficult ???

Have a couple gift certificates to use from Real Truck....

Thanks...

CUinaRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUinaRidge
Does anybody have a Lund bug shield???

Like - Dislike / Install easy - difficult ???

Have a couple gift certificates to use from Real Truck....

Thanks...

I have the lund - it was easy to install
It has been on the ridgeline now for 18 months and 24,000 miles with no problems.

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
CUinaRidge
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Thanks... that's route I think I'll go....

CUinaRidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
mwarren2
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Send a message via Yahoo to mwarren2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1
I'm in the market for a bugshield but am torn on which one to get. Should i go with the OEM or Aftermarket (Lund, AVS)? If you could please give me a few pro and cons on the two. I've seen a few pics of the OEM. If anyone has some of aftermarket shields could you please post so i can see the difference. If you have a good shot of the OEM could you post it also...(for those who have OEM)

Thanks in advance,
Scott (Bigred1)
Here's a pic of my Lund shield. Not as high as the OEM but does the same job of keeping the nicks off the front of the hood. Can't see it from the driver's seat. There are no attach points on the exterior, as it uses the stock fasteners under the hood. Only 5000 miles on mine but no problems.
Attached Images

Build #00891
Purchased: 08/17/06
2007 RTL-w/Nav, Steel Blue, OEM Rearview Camera, Fog Lights, Black Steps, Rear Mud Guards, Towing Package, Roof Rack, Carpeted Floor mats, Full Size Spare w/TPMS;
5S DUDE's Custom Billet Door Sills, ROC Decal, WeatherTech Window Visors, W. Wong's RL Pads, SportWing BSM's, Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth, & LEER Cap.
mwarren2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
jayg287
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Apparently you can get colored bug shields from Real-Truck. I really like the idea of having a color matched deflector. Has anyone gotten one (specifically white)? I'm curious to know how close the white of the deflector matches the white RL paint.

Here's the link:
http://www.realtruck.com/productline...er_colors.html
[COLOR="Blue"]5S Dude Patriots Door Sills, Blk Powder Coated Billet Side Steps, Roof Rack, Alpine 9857 HU w/ Ipod interface, MB Quart PWE-254 10" Subs & component speakers front and back, Kicker SX500.2 & ZX460 Amps, Dynamat, Optima Battery W/ Cable upgrade, Rear Mud Guards, Vent Visors.

Last edited by jayg287; 11-27-2006 at 09:26 AM.
jayg287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
jayg287
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg287
Apparently you can get colored bug shields from Real-Truck. I really like the idea of having a color matched deflector. Has anyone gotten one (specifically white)? I'm curious to know how close the white of the deflector matches the white RL paint.

Here's the link:
http://www.realtruck.com/productline...er_colors.html
Still waiting to hear if anyone has had experience with this product.
[COLOR="Blue"]5S Dude Patriots Door Sills, Blk Powder Coated Billet Side Steps, Roof Rack, Alpine 9857 HU w/ Ipod interface, MB Quart PWE-254 10" Subs & component speakers front and back, Kicker SX500.2 & ZX460 Amps, Dynamat, Optima Battery W/ Cable upgrade, Rear Mud Guards, Vent Visors.
jayg287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.