service reminders? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 05-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
eurban
ROC Rank: Sophomore

service reminders?

Hello- I am at the 10K mark on my Ridge and I changed my own oil for the second time at around 9800 miles. When I went to reset the oil life indicator (it was on 20% remaining) I followed the owners manual procedure but it did not reset properly the first time. Instead during the reset process I got a service due soon code (don't remember the code but it's the one that has to do with the VTM4 fluid etc) I tried again to reset the oil life indicator and this time the manual method worked. The service due soon code was not visible before I went to reset the oil life indicator and it dissappeared when I successfully reset the oil indicator on my second attempt. At the time I figured that when I actually hit the 10K mark I would see the service due soon code but it hasn't shown up yet. So I am wondering if I reset the service due soon reminder by accident or if it will still show up when the computer thinks its time to change the VTM4 fluid etc? Thanks for any thoughts.
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
shingles
ROC Rank: Senior

Re: service reminders?

those two indicators appear together the second time. So that means you reset both of them.
I beleive it's the B4 that you need to do...
shingles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
BillB
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

It is actually B6 (VTM4 maintenance) that this member is getting at about 10,000, I am getting the same now at 10,500. It also is awaiting my second oil change at <10% reading on my screen. B4 is for the spark plug change maintenance. 10,000 is pretty soon for VTM4 changeout and I personally am going to wait to 15,000 for my VTM4 maintenance. The service minder system is really only technically watching the oil life via it computer calculation formulas and all other maintenance items are clustered around the oil change intervals to make it easy to do multiple maintenances when you are in for the oil changes. The VTM4 should be good for 15,000 miles in standard use; however, Honda thought about 7500 would be the normal oil change interval, but I do not find that to be the case with my driving style and I am getting about 5500 per change period.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Rocker
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

The same thing happened with me at 10k. I got the oil changed and the dealer said do the vtm4 change at 15k unless you drive in extreme situations. 10k or 10mos on a new vehicle seemed very early for a change.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
shingles
ROC Rank: Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker
The same thing happened with me at 10k. I got the oil changed and the dealer said do the vtm4 change at 15k unless you drive in extreme situations. 10k or 10mos on a new vehicle seemed very early for a change.
It might "seem" early, but I prefer to trust Honda, the company that engineered the truck, then the independently owned dealership.
shingles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Rocker
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Hey I trust Honda I just have never owned a vehicle that needed a transmission change that fast. I have read that the oil monitoring is live while the other codes are just to group like services whether you need them or not. I would think the Honda dealer would want me to change it now rather than waiting if its the money that matters.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
RACER-X

I got something like 1a or a1 is this oil change?

racer-x

15% Front Tint
Honda Running Boards
AEM Brute Force
ZYOXX ZX 8's w/Falken ZIEX S/TZ 04 265/40/22
36 psi cold
RACER-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
BillB
2008 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

A1 is only an oil change. In fact, the Honda system is telling you to only change the oil, but most of the members here have agreed that a filter change will never hurt at this point also.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
BillB
2008 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

Here is a downloadable version of the Maintenance Minder Code descriptions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Honda maintenance.PDF (119.6 KB, 1056 views)
Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
eurban

Thanks for the replies. . . Just to clarify, I changed my oil at 10k (first change at 5K) which happened to be at 20% oil life remaining according to the computer. There were no services codes at all displayed. When I followed the procedure to reset the oil life monitor instead of reseting it showed me something like b6 service due soon. This info then dissappeared when I tried again and successfully reset the monitor. So from what I have gathered from the replies . . . . Honda simply "bundled" the B6 service with the 2nd oil change reminder code and since I changed my oil prior to getting this code the computer showed me the reminder when I went to reset the oil life indicator. So If I understand correctly, I will not now get a B6 reminder until it comes due for the second change? I guess this is what I get for changing my oil earlier than recommended . . .Still, seems like a poor design to me! Is the computer counting my oil changes by the number oil change codes that have popped up (in my case 0 since I changed my oil before the codes showed) or is it counting the times the monitor has been reset?

Last edited by eurban; 05-16-2006 at 06:26 PM.
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.