Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

My License Plate Reverse Camera Install

13K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my reverse camera install that I did. I had already run the video cable when I did my stereo install. The camera I bought from ebay for $15 and it has night vision and guide lines. I used Posi-Taps which are real cool because it makes the install so fast and works perfectly and it is removable and leaves no damage to the cables.
I did not install a cable from my pioneer headunit to the reverse cable inside the cabin, since on my headunit I can control the camera when to turn it on.

The line i used to fish the cable without removing the back seat

The cable running from the cabin out to the license plate

This is the whole i punched from the rear to the inside so the cable would fit

Here is a look of where i ran my cable, well it cant be seen and that was my intent

Here the video cable comes out of the taillight

Here you can see the taillight without a bulb and my multimeter which i used to find which was positive and negative.
Green cable is positive and the orange cable is negative

Here is the best product for easy install without damaging cables which works like a permanent connection but works like a temporary

A close up of the green which is positive and orange which is negative, when it comes to the reverse light

No cables hanging around from the passenger side to the license plate

The video cable in the rear and the power cable in the front

the cables with electrical tape, just to prevent any rust and water and from maybe becoming loose

All the cables tucked away looking like it did before

And here it is, how it looks at night

If anyone knows how to connect the reverse camera to the break light and it does not cause any problems, let me know, I wanted to be available to turn on the reverse camera when im in drive since my pioneer lets control the camera.

See less See more
#2 ·
I guessing that there are several photos that are not showing up?
Would love to see them, especially one with the field of view from a liscence plate mounted camera.

Why would you ever want the camera hooked to the Brake light?

#3 ·
I forgot to take that picture but ill post it later and some of before and after of how dirty the inside was.

The reason I wanted to hook it up to the break light is just so I can turn on my lights and be able to see the rear

#6 ·
Do yourself a huge favor and coat the camera with silicone. Water will leak in/fog it up every time it rains. With silicone it's dry 24/7.

#8 · (Edited)
I've had no issues with mine over 2 years, but sounds like a good idea.

I am using a Boyo VTL425 CCD cam. I don't use the distance markers. I also have a ScanHitch sensor. Between the two I can navigate nicely when backing into spaces with cars on both sides.

If I could have only one I would take the HitchScan. Works amazingly well. Many of us were lucky enough to get the early ones under $50 when the company was going out of business. Now that they were taken over they are going for around $150-200. I still think they are worth it at 1/3 to 1/2 of the factory bumper system.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)

Attachments

#9 ·
I just found the "attach" button today - So, I added the image above. LOL - I'm such a slow learner.

#10 ·
Ah - I just thought of something. You could set the switch up as a foot switch like the old head light switches. Camera at the press of a foot...or just put it in the dash...

#16 ·
Here are some changes that I made and been running this setup for about half a year, and I love it because now I dont have that attention grabbing camera and no one will know I have a double din inside.

#17 ·
Here are some changes that I made and been running this setup for about half a year, and I love it because now I dont have that attention grabbing camera and no one will know I have a double din inside.
Seems like a good idea. Just curious, though, do you get more dirt, dust, mud, etc. that gets on the camera because it's more exposed to the underside of the truck? I don't think that would work very well up here in the snow belt in the winter. Wouldn't survive a month.

#18 ·
I agree, while it might need more cleaning, it is away from any glare it might get at night form license plate/tail lights.
I not sure many would use a rear cam as a sign you have a double DIN. They would probably just look inside?

#19 ·
So far I have not cleaned it, just removed some dust but it will get dust anywhere. Works great, just another idea if someone does not want to spend the extra money buying a tailgate handle and wondering if a camera will fit.

#20 ·
I agree it's another good option if you don't want to use a license plate cam. It looks more vulnerable, but anything that would take it out would damage your rear bumper anyway, and that will cost a lot more to fix than replacing the cam.

#21 ·
This is why I spent $13 on my cam. The wiring is all there now. If the cam goes bad, I simply buy another one to replace it. It's been going strong for over two years now, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.