Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Changing rear differential fluid as part of code B16

99K views 259 replies 79 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 ·
About how often are you guys changing your rear differential fluid on the G2 AWD?

I got the MM B16 code to change oil & filter, rotate tires, and rear diff. I have 13,350 miles.

I do tow a light jet ski trailer sometimes.

I never had an AWD independent rear end truck before so is this something you need to do every 15,000 or so for the life of the truck?

Thanks

#2 ·
Re: Rear Differential question

If it's like the last gen of the Pilot, the first change comes up pretty quick like yours. And when you see the fluid you'll understand why. Yuck!

After that it's about 25 to 30K miles and stays clean between changes.

The fluid is easy to change, Bernardi sells the stuff cheap and delivers it quickly.

The first time you break loose the drain plug can be a character builder.
It doesn't have to be that tight.
Nothing has to be that tight.

This post has been deleted
#12 · (Edited)

Does anyone have the official instructions of how to change? I have seen Pilot videos where they drive the car in the driveway before topping off or at least start the engine.
This from 2016 Pilot Service Manual:

1. Remove the filler plug (A) and the sealing washer (B).

2. Remove the drain plug (C) and the sealing washer (D),
then drain the rear differential fluid.

3. Remove the metal particles from the magnetic surface of
the drain plug.

4. Install the drain plug with a new sealing washer. Torque 35 lbs ft.

5. Refill the rear differential with rear differential fluid to the
proper level (E).

Fluid Capacity:
1.82 L (1.92 US qt) at fluid change
2.33 L (2.46 US qt) at overhaul
Recommended fluid: Honda DPSFII

6. Loosely install the filler plug with the used sealing washer.

7. Do the rear differential fluid air bleeding.
Start the engine.
Shift the transmission to P position/mode.
Wait for 1 minute.

8. Turn the engine off.

9. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer.

10. Refill the rear differential with rear differential fluid to the
proper level.

11. Install the filler plug with a new sealing washer. Torque 35 lbs ft.

Parts:
WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (18MM) PartNo: 90471-PX4-000
WASHER, FILL PLUG (20MM) PartNo: 94109-20000

White Line art Auto part Text Diagram

Reactions: bigbluesd and 14v6
#14 ·

#6....How loosely is loosely?
Just finger tight. You will remove it again to verify fluid level after the air bleed step.

Reactions: MrClam
#26 ·

Is the proper fluid level so the fluid just starts coming out the fill plug?
You are correct.

#29 ·

The manual calls for 1.92 quarts. The old days of filling until spillage aren't quite so accurate anymore. Also, my rear diff fluid was so clean that I could barely tell the difference between old and new. My B 16 service came on at 12,400 miles.

#36 ·

I have 2 CRV's and a RL so I anticipate going through the fluid rather quickly hence I just ordered a case of 12 from Majestic, 91 bucks shipped. They were priced at 6.55 per quart with 10 bucks shipping. For some reason, Bernardi shipping is more expensive now so I did not try to price match. Silly fool that I am, when I went to put the case in the basement, I found another case of 12! I'll be good on diff fluid for some years.:surprise:

#38 ·

So why put the transmission in park for a minute before continuing to fill? Seems to me there will be no movement within the differential unless the vehicle moves? Can't see how there is any bleeding of air going on, even if one were to move the gear selector thru the gears, unless the truck were to move.

#39 · (Edited)

So why put the transmission in park for a minute before continuing to fill? Seems to me there will be no movement within the differential unless the vehicle moves? Can't see how there is any bleeding of air going on, even if one were to move the gear selector thru the gears, unless the truck were to move.
The rear differential has an electric pump to supply hydraulic pressure for the clutch packs. So your bleeding the air out of the internal hydraulic system, which lowers the fluid level.

#42 · (Edited)

I just did mine. 2 qts is not bringing it up to the fill plug hole. Have to run and get that third quart. I cannot feel the fluid level with my finger, otherwise I would call it good. It only took another 4oz. Some of that was probably due to not being able to get every last drop out of the previous two quarts. I would still suggest you buy three. Based on how it looked, probaby around 24K is soon enough. Mine has 8K on it now, one tow for 5 hours over the mountains on I-40 at Asheville. Maybe 3500# load.

#45 ·
Changing Rear Differential Fluid

I have an 18 G2. I see posts about changing rear differential fluid as early as 15,000 miles. I am 65 yrs old and have owned many vehicles and have never changed the rear differential oil in any of them. Is this a Honda thing? Is it really necessary or just a way to increase maintenance revenue? I did have an 06 RL that I drove 60,000 miles and never changed it with no issues. Please educate me.

#47 ·
I have an 18 G2. I see posts about changing rear differential fluid as early as 15,000 miles. I am 65 yrs old and have owned many vehicles and have never changed the rear differential oil in any of them. Is this a Honda thing? Is it really necessary or just a way to increase maintenance revenue? I did have an 06 RL that I drove 60,000 miles and never changed it with no issues. Please educate me.
If you had an "06" with just 60,000 miles on it why did you sell it, because of neglect maintenance and your worried. You didnt do it then and it should be done every 15,000 so it should have been changed 4 times. How long are you going to keep this one. If you can change it, its not a hard job or just go get it done if you want a piece of mind. What about the other maintenance by 60,000 miles, did you change the oil.

#48 ·
I believe I've read that the second change doesn't come at 30,000 miles. It goes somewhat longer. I'm not certain why Honda's Maintenance Minder prompts you to change the fluid at 15k miles, because I could barely tell my old fluid from the new fluid. It's not like the days where the old differential fluid is thick, gummy, and filthy. This fluid is more in the viscosity range of transmission fluid and is similar in color. You are going to need more than 1.92 quarts also. I used the full two quarts, and some have claimed that if you fill it properly, you require more than that. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find examples.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.