Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
They do, but not all prayers are answered. Like all automakers, they make changes that will please the greatest number of people for the lowest possible cost.

Silent majority > vocal minority
This is the real answer………..every add on or feature has cost. Example many Acuras have hood struts and passenger power seats. It’s a Conscience and debated decision on every feature.
The cost is down to fractions of a dollar……so the argument it’s only software or it’s $1.55 per car is already baked in to the decision.

Also HONDA spends little or no time on the forums.

Did the 2022 Ridgeline get rid of the hood flutter problem?
Dave
The hood is now steel …….so flutter should eliminated or significantly reduced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear Honda,
I just purchased a ‘22 Ridgeline RTL-E, while I love my Ridgeline, after living with it for a month here are a list of shortcomings that I think Honda should address. in no particular order….
1. the tailgate should have some dampeners in it so it doesn’t come crashing down when opening. Even my previous GMC Sierra had these.
2. the hood should have gas struts. It’s pretty heavy and lifting and putting it on the support Rod is more difficult than it needs to be.
3. The front seats should be cooled/ventilated as well as heated. For something that costs this much, and it touted to be car like, it should have this feature.
4. The passenger seat should have as many power functions as the drivers seat.
5. There should be a way to permanently turn off the engine start/stop feature. This to me is one of the most annoying features of the newer generation of vehicles.
6. Your technology features only work ok, and for the most part are way too sensitive. Lane keep assist, and lane departure warn you and take action well before they need to. Very annoying.
7. The adaptive cruise control, even at its closest setting is way to far away from the car in front of me. This makes it unusable for me. I have switched mine to regular old cruise control.
8. And I still can’t figure out what your emergency brake assist feature actually does. In other vehicles I have owned it warns and takes action as expected. So far in the Ridgeline I haven’t had any alerts. Maybe my driving has gotten better? 😂
9. there should be a remote start feature from your App, which by the way is pretty pathetic. I should be able to start it from my office when it’s 100 degrees outside. and either the heat and heated seats, or A/C and cooled seats…oops it doesn’t have those…. Should come on. Even GM has this wonderful feature.
10. The high beams should also be LED. Halogen…really???

Overall I love the Ridgeline. I also owned a 2007 RTL. However, it could be a lot better with just a few tweaks. Obviously, these are just my opinions. But the Ridgeline in higher trim levels isn’t cheap.

Doug
#4 #4 #4!

·
Administrator
22,703 Posts
I use to have the Acura RL MDX,RDX. The Audio in the Tech pack that purchased along with the car is amazing.
They still use this Audio system in the line up . The Last one I owned was the RDX I had surround sound in my suv with a 2.3turbo
The 16-speaker ELS Studio 3D audio system in my 2019 RDX Advance was outstanding. It was good enough to move me emotionally at times.

Also HONDA spends little or no time on the forums.
Forums are a free and extremely valuable resource for automakers. Just because they don't post doesn't mean they're not here. They're usually observers - not participants.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I won't buy a Ridgeline because of the foot brake. Its a deal breaker for me. Hate the placement and it just makes it feel cheap. Put a dang electric parking brake on it.

Honda did EXACTLY what I told them to do to freshen the model and make it more appealing. They did everything except better offsets on the wheels.

·
Administrator
22,703 Posts
I won't buy a Ridgeline because of the foot brake. Its a deal breaker for me. Hate the placement and it just makes it feel cheap. Put a dang electric parking brake on it.
I guess you won't be buying any of the other mid-size trucks, either. None of them have electric parking brakes. :)

Frontier? Nope.
Gladiator? Nope.
Tacoma? Nope.
Colorado? Nope.
Ranger? Nope.

They did everything except better offsets on the wheels.
Honda increased the offset by 20mm for the 2021 model year. Just how far do you want the wheels to stick out? ;)

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
10 Posts
I had a Gen 1 RL (RTL) and have a 2018 G2 RTL-E. The infotainment system is just as bad on the G2 truck as it was back in 2007 on the G1. Example: Scrolling display for channel/song/etc.? Nope. Is that a life or death feature, not really, but cars I owned years before I bought the G1 RL had better features on their infotainment systems. Garmin makes the head unit and surely have a product that includes all of the modern functions. My brother's 15 year old F150 has these, after all. Not to mention the weirdness with Apple Car Play, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is that flutter problem
I've had two Ridgelines and if you hood has a flutter problem you'd would definitely notice it. I've had to stop while traveling on the highway to make sure my hood wasn't just half latched! Traded my 19 for a 20 which started out very good with a big improvement and seams were tight on both sides of the hood. Over the past year though the seam on the driver's side has gotten wider and again the hood really flutters when on highway, windy or trucks passing against you. I see the 21 and 22 have a slightly different hood design.

·
Registered
2021 Silver Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
42 Posts
I've had my '21 RTL for a year now. I am really happy with it, and I've come to accept it's features for what they are.

As @Anaximander has noted, there is no perfect vehicle for anyone out there. There will always be another vehicle that executes some feature better than the other. All we can do is check out the available models and get the one we like the best.

Many complain about the RL's audio quality. I'm sure it can be better, but I've never come to expect much out of a stock audio system, no matter how "premium" the manufacturer makes it appear on paper or how much extra it costs. It is what it is.

There is one thing that irritates me, though...
I am a volunteer courier for our local blood center, and drive Nissan Rogue's most is the time. When connected via Bluetooth and I received a text, a message pops up on the display and asks if I want to read it, similar to my RL. However, if I send a text or reply, the Nissan is smart enough to know it came from me, and not display a message. My RL...not so much.

A message still pops up, which I have to clear from the screen. Really??? What software engineer couldn't foresee this?
I too am a driver (part-time paid) for our local blood center in Arkansas. I mostly drive long-distance highway miles. We recently obtained a gently used Chrysler van that has ACC on it. My 21 RL rtl-e is the first vehicle I’ve owned or driven with ACC. I must admit, the Chrysler van’s ACC seems to work much better. It brakes smoother when coming up on a slower vehicle and when changing lanes to pass the slower vehicle it accelerates quicker and smoother.
With that said, my RL is one-year old today and just turned 15k yesterday. I really enjoy driving it and wouldn’t trade it for anything else currently out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dbalico, is your 2022 Navigation System any better than my 2017 BE or just as worthless? Please tell me that you can at least manually change the default monitoring distance to see what is comming up and not just what you are passing or have already passed!

If you have a volume knob then you can also thank all the other complainers on this forum and not just enjoy it like those few ungreatful newbies bashing the efforts of complainers.

·
Registered
06 rt 4wd
13 Posts
Dear Honda,
I just purchased a ‘22 Ridgeline RTL-E, while I love my Ridgeline, after living with it for a month here are a list of shortcomings that I think Honda should address. in no particular order….
1. the tailgate should have some dampeners in it so it doesn’t come crashing down when opening. Even my previous GMC Sierra had these.
2. the hood should have gas struts. It’s pretty heavy and lifting and putting it on the support Rod is more difficult than it needs to be.
3. The front seats should be cooled/ventilated as well as heated. For something that costs this much, and it touted to be car like, it should have this feature.
4. The passenger seat should have as many power functions as the drivers seat.
5. There should be a way to permanently turn off the engine start/stop feature. This to me is one of the most annoying features of the newer generation of vehicles.
6. Your technology features only work ok, and for the most part are way too sensitive. Lane keep assist, and lane departure warn you and take action well before they need to. Very annoying.
7. The adaptive cruise control, even at its closest setting is way to far away from the car in front of me. This makes it unusable for me. I have switched mine to regular old cruise control.
8. And I still can’t figure out what your emergency brake assist feature actually does. In other vehicles I have owned it warns and takes action as expected. So far in the Ridgeline I haven’t had any alerts. Maybe my driving has gotten better? 😂
9. there should be a remote start feature from your App, which by the way is pretty pathetic. I should be able to start it from my office when it’s 100 degrees outside. and either the heat and heated seats, or A/C and cooled seats…oops it doesn’t have those…. Should come on. Even GM has this wonderful feature.
10. The high beams should also be LED. Halogen…really???

Overall I love the Ridgeline. I also owned a 2007 RTL. However, it could be a lot better with just a few tweaks. Obviously, these are just my opinions. But the Ridgeline in higher trim levels isn’t cheap.

Doug
Why buy it? You Americans are literally demanding so much wanting it for less it’s nuts I want a ridge line where there’s 2 knobs to roll down the window 0 WiFi 0 navigation and 0 electrical components that have nothing to do with driving down the road. If I wanted everything on your list I would expect to be rich enough to complain about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good post. I agree with your list and have run into just about all of what you posted. I have also had some other issues that I created a post about a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately nothing will be done about it, but at least we get to post something to get it off our chest. I am not an unreasonable person. I simple expect that whatever I purchase performs like I was told it would perform. As far as other things we all notice in vehicles that we buy, there are always things that we did not notice when making the purchase and stumble upon later. Another example for me would be that the tailgate does not come with a lock. Much cheaper trucks come with a tailgate lock in their standard configuration. I had to purchase one after-market and install it myself.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
107 Posts
I have had my 2022 RTL for 4 months now and only have about 2800 miles on it because I am retired and have not been doing much travelling lately. I kind of wonder why people feel a need to pick apart their new rides? I have owned several hundred vehicles between cars/trucks/motorcycles and I have yet to have found one that didn't have all the features I would have liked. My response is, so what? The manufacturers decide what they want to put on any particular vehicle and we as consumers have the ability to accept what they have produced or get something else. I hate to seem overly critical but I don't know what the utility of bashing our purchases with lists of disappoints does to enhance our ownership experiences? I know I could have just move on from the thread but it baffles me why people feel compelled to nit-pick their purchases? My personal take is that I recognize various limitations of the Ridgeline but every other vehicle I have owned also has had some undocumented list of things that could have been better. Without trying to look like a smart ass, my take on it is "so what???".
Amen!

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
490 Posts
I too am a driver (part-time paid) for our local blood center in Arkansas. I mostly drive long-distance highway miles. We recently obtained a gently used Chrysler van that has ACC on it. My 21 RL rtl-e is the first vehicle I’ve owned or driven with ACC. I must admit, the Chrysler van’s ACC seems to work much better. It brakes smoother when coming up on a slower vehicle and when changing lanes to pass the slower vehicle it accelerates quicker and smoother.
With that said, my RL is one-year old today and just turned 15k yesterday. I really enjoy driving it and wouldn’t trade it for anything else currently out there.
I didn't mention how the ACC performs in those Nissan Rogue's, but I do like the RL's ACC better.

The Rouge's ACC will brake harshly if a vehicle pulls in front of you too soon. The RL seems to slow much more smoothly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, not buying any midsized trucks. And good to know they listened on the offset also, I thought the HPD wheels were the only ones that got bumped out.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts