Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I’m new here and also a new RL owner. I bought the truck about 2 months ago. It’s a 2006. Yesterday and today I was driving around delivering turkeys for Christmas and the snow has been insane here. Busses and cars all over stuck. But my ridgeline has been getting me through pretty good. I notice when braking in snow though I’m getting this loud twanging sound and chunking sound. It’s extra loud on the drivers side and also from the middle of the truck. I believe that’s the ABS but it’s super loud. Is that normal?

I also have been noticing this loud grinding sound when driving through deep snow especially when turning. It’s happening pretty much every time I try to turn around in snow even while trying to baby it. I think that’s the VSA but I’m also not to sure. Also with the VSA how long does that last before needing to be replaced? And is it ok to be driving around grinding through the snow?

Side note after the first day of snow driving when I get it up to highway speeds the steering wheel started shaking pretty intensely I applied the brakes a bit and moved the wheel side to side and it kind of when away but then came back again/ went away again a few times.

Any help or insights would be forever appreciated!

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
1. Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club!

2. What year is your Ridgeline? Your post suggests you have a "new" (2020) Ridgeline, but this post is in the 2006-2014 section.

3. What's "VTS"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club!

2. What year is your Ridgeline? Your post suggests you have a "new" (2020) Ridgeline, but this post is in the 2006-2014 section.

3. What's "VTS"?
Thank you! The truck is a 2006 and I meant to write VSA not VTS my bad...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
"I’m getting this loud twanging sound and chunking sound. It’s extra loud on the drivers side and also from the middle of the truck. "

What type of snow? Wet packing type? If so it good be snow/ice building up on the drive shaft... but that is LOUD !!

·
Registered
2013 Sport
631 Posts
A few considerations from someone who has been driving a Ridgeline (an '07 & '13) for 13 years:
  • Snow and ice can pack onto the front mud flaps. This will cause some handling issues and is easily resolved by giving the mud flap a few taps with your foot to knock the snow pack loose.
  • If your truck has been sitting overnight, snow can drift into the wheels and freeze to the inside of the rim. Again, can cause some handling issues as it adds an unbalance weight. Easily resolved by cleaning the snow out.
  • Both of these scenarios explain the handling issues you described.

• The ABS/VSA activation is loud and distracting. What you describe is normal.
  • As the road crews in your area start to get handle on things, consider your need for momentum vs. stability when powering through snow banks where you transition from unplowed to plowed roads. Turning off VSA while you punch though to a cleared road will keep you from bogging down mid snowbank. Failure to do this can result in you settling the frame rails unto frame rails - at which point you'll be shoveling.
  • Keep an eye on snow packing into the wiper/hood space. The heated windshield zone will keep the wiper blades from freezing to your windshield, bit probably won't clear snow from this void space.
  • If you don't have a cap/tonneau cover and choose to keep your recovery tools in the trunk, be sure to clear the bed of snow before you head out. It sucks when you realize you need to dig out your trunk by hand in order to get your shovel to dig out your truck...
  • Watch for snow and ice to fill the drain lip space around the trunk. If that area gets packed it can make it hard to close your trunk or worse, you can freeze your trunk closed - only fix to that is a heated garage and time.
  • If you haven't already, consider locating a large parking lot with few light poles and no curb blocks for skills practice next time it snows - don't be afraid to turn the VSA off and spend s few minutes driving like a 16 year old, the Ridgeline can do some epic donuts given the right conditions.

Reactions: MaintMech

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few considerations from someone who has been driving a Ridgeline (an '07 & '13) for 13 years:
  • Snow and ice can pack onto the front mud flaps. This will cause some handling issues and is easily resolved by giving the mud flap a few taps with your foot to knock the snow pack loose.
  • If your truck has been sitting overnight, snow can drift into the wheels and freeze to the inside of the rim. Again, can cause some handling issues as it adds an unbalance weight. Easily resolved by cleaning the snow out.
  • Both of these scenarios explain the handling issues you described.

• The ABS/VSA activation is loud and distracting. What you describe is normal.
  • As the road crews in your area start to get handle on things, consider your need for momentum vs. stability when powering through snow banks where you transition from unplowed to plowed roads. Turning off VSA while you punch though to a cleared road will keep you from bogging down mid snowbank. Failure to do this can result in you settling the frame rails unto frame rails - at which point you'll be shoveling.
  • Keep an eye on snow packing into the wiper/hood space. The heated windshield zone will keep the wiper blades from freezing to your windshield, bit probably won't clear snow from this void space.
  • If you don't have a cap/tonneau cover and choose to keep your recovery tools in the trunk, be sure to clear the bed of snow before you head out. It sucks when you realize you need to dig out your trunk by hand in order to get your shovel to dig out your truck...
  • Watch for snow and ice to fill the drain lip space around the trunk. If that area gets packed it can make it hard to close your trunk or worse, you can freeze your trunk closed - only fix to that is a heated garage and time.
  • If you haven't already, consider locating a large parking lot with few light poles and no curb blocks for skills practice next time it snows - don't be afraid to turn the VSA off and spend s few minutes driving like a 16 year old, the Ridgeline can do some epic donuts given the right conditions.
Wow this is some fantastic info ! Thanks a lot !

I was very worried about the braking noises and the VSA grinding but now I can sleep easy at night haha !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts