Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off would like to say thanks to ROC (Ridgeline Owner's Club) because this site helped me even before I became a member.

I am the owner of a 2006 Honda Ridgeline sadly because it use to belong to my father-in-law before he passed away in November of 2019. I believe that my father-in-law intended to try and install an OEM navigation system in the Ridgeline RTL even though the Ridgeline did not come with one because we found a navigation display in his pole barn when we were going through things. I believe he found out that it would take a lot more than the display unit to install the navigation system in the Ridgeline.
What I found was that the navigation unit is actually underneath the driver seat and the wire harness for the RTL with navigation is different that the wire harness for the RTL without navigation plus additional items would be necessary like the XM receivor and the antenna and the steering wheel does not have the additional buttons for phone calls or the microphone.
Short story long, I ended up installing a Kenwood Excelon DNX994S because I wanted navigation, HD radio, USB, Car Play, and Android Auto. I also have the capability to add XM and install a backup camera as well (the radio actually came with a cheap after market license plate camera). During my research, I found where the GPS antenna for the OEM GPS antenna is installed and mounted so I ordered a mounting bracket, self tapping screw, and a bracket with the OEM antenna (if one does a search for the OEM GPS antenna on a Honda OEM site, the part number(s) for the three can be found). I also ordered a Crux SWRHN-62D steering wheel interface so I could use the volume, channel, and source button on the steering wheel.
The first go around I ended up using a Metra double din dash kit and used Posi-Twist connectors for the wire connections. The first Crux did not work and I had to send it back and order a new one.
The final go around I ended up using an American International HONK-836 double din install dash kit and I used lever nut conductor connectors for wire termination and cloth tape. A I 1.jpg A I 2.jpg Crux dip settings.jpg GPS loc 1.jpg GPS loc 2.jpg GPS loc 3.jpg Lever Nut con 1.jpg Lever Nut con 2.jpg Metra.jpg PosiTwist example.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
That looks like a really clean install, @06burhans. Your grandfather definitely was not the only G1 Ridgeline owner who was thwarted when trying to install the OEM Navigation into a RTL or lower trim Ridgeline w/o navigation. Glad you are able to put your grandfather's RL to good use.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a really clean install, @06burhans. Your grandfather definitely was not the only G1 Ridgeline owner who was thwarted when trying to install the OEM Navigation into a RTL or lower trim Ridgeline w/o navigation. Glad you are able to put your grandfather's RL to good use.
Thanks...I believe the install got a lot cleaner when I switched from the posi-twist to the lever nut connectors. I used the ones with the different colors because I am weird and thought keeping the solid color wires on the orange lever and the wires with the black stripe with the blue lever for the speaker wires. The three lug connector was for the 12V ACC connection and the other one for the ground. I was thinking of adding furrels on the wires later on. I also cut a whole in the storage box to run the two USB wires and used sticky backs and wire ties to clean it up.
I also replaced the nerf running boards with new ones because the back driver side was rusted out and the black plastic step flew off somewhere. I bought some 4" runners to replace them but wished I ponied up the extra thirty dollars for some APS iboard runners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts