Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to update the maps in the 06, I ended up buying a 4.73 white label DVD off an auction site. It went in to the drive, installed, then the screen came back up saying incorrect dvd in drive. Of course I figured I could go back and use the older DVD but I can't seem to get that to be accepted either. States it is an incorrect DVD as well for the original factory disc.

Not sure how to go at this problem. Is there a HDD somewhere in the RL I can take out and wipe? Or some kind of initalization I can put it through to get rid of the current information that made it stop working? Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

---

The error message the navi gives is along the lines of

Error Reading DVD Disc
(Incorrect Disc)
Please Contact Dealer

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I assume you did perform the swap with the ignition switch "ON" as that is the recommended procedure.
Did you remember to snap the nav unit lid door closed making sure that there is no debris preventing closure? If the lid dosen't close well, the unit will not function.
Now, for the stupid question. Did you install the DVD with the label face-up? Sorry, I had to ask.
Your owner's manual (Navigation supplement) in the glove compartment of your car has a troubleshooting section that you may want to consult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Label was face up. I think the key was at the accessory position or the on position, it seemed to run fine without any power failures. The lid closed well, and I've went to the owner's manual, and the massive manual (The one as thick as my fist.)

I may just take it in to them to see how much it is for them to wipe it so I can use the 06 one again, not sure how much that would cost. Besides that the only thing I could think of is the lens being dusty but that wouldn't be likely.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Unless of course if your initial worry that the disc actually wrote write to the system's operating software occurred and now requires software re-initialization by the dealer.

Did you try talking to the seller of the boot disc as maybe he has a solution (CTRL-ALT-DEL) for you to try?;)

I wonder if pulling the NAV fuse would correct this situation? Do you have anything else to lose at this point?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey Brad,
I just came back in the house from resetting our NAVI on our '06 RL. Two things you need to know:
1) The 4.73 version won't load directly to a vehicle that has "too old" of a previous version (e.g. prior to 4.5 or so). In my case, I have never updated, so still have the OEM 4.13. When you buy from the 'authorized source', they send you a 'supplemental' setup disc if you are in this situation (older version). If you have previously updated (say you now have 4.6x), then you don't need (& they won't send) the supplemental disc. I guess they must ask you when you order it.
2) If you have tried to load either a) a copy of 4.73 from somewhere or b) a legitimate disc of 4.73 without first using the supplemental set-up disc; you can 'force' the system back to your previously installed version, presuming you still have the old disc. This is what you do:
A. First make sure your desired previous disk is in the DVD player.
B. Gain access to the hidden Navi set-up menu by simultaneously holding down the Menu, Map/Guide, & Cancel keys for about 5 seconds or so. You will then see the NAVI diagnostics menu. While here you can do a hardware self diagnostic if you want. But what you are really interested in is seeing & changing the version of SW. On the menu screen, hit "Unit Check", on next menu hit "Navi ECU", and next hit "Memory Clear". I'm guessing you already lost your memory (address book, etc.) when you did the previous download. If not, you'll see an option somewhere along the way to "save user memory". If you do great - if not, Oh well, you already cleared it out & it won't ask you to save what's not there.
C. After you've hit "Memory Clear", you will have dumped the new, undesired SW. Then I believe you'll have to reaccess the hidden menu again (I really don't remember if it just came up by itself, but I think I had to start over again with the 3 key thing). THIS TIME, on the first menu hit "Version", and you will see a "Download" softkey. Hit download & wait for a few minutes while the unit reloads the disc you have in the drive. You'll be all set, with the possible exception of having lost previously saved info (address book, personal info, etc.).

If you've lost memory, you'll know because when your unit starts up & you hit 'menu', the "previous destinations" and "today's destinations" will be grayed out (you don't have either of those yet because your memory was wiped). Happy trails, and if you want to read more about similar adventures, see this link from similarly frustrated Acura owners. It's lenthy, but educational (the RL they refer to is an Acura, not our Ridgeline):
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700797

Oh Yeah, Also be advised that consensus opinion is that 4.73 version CANNOT be copied by the usual techno-wienie so that it will work. Alpine has added some kind of copy stopper. It will copy, will look like it's successfully duplicated, and will even download . . . but will not work. SO, (at least so far) we need to have a legit white disc 4.73 from Alpine, or a recycled one of the same, as you have from eBay or wherever. AND we need to know whether the 'supplemental set-up' disc is required, based on our current SW version. Hope this helps,
Dnick

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
ONE MORE THING:
You will be asked to enter your NAVI code during this process. Make sure you have that, or your are probably doomed. If you bought your Ridge new, it will be in your original papers, or on a card they provided you with at the time. It is the NAVI code, not the Audio code (there are two separate codes). In my case the NAVI code is 4 digits, and the Audio code is 5 digits. Again, Good Luck,
Dnick

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thanks for the procedure Dnick! I'm sure others will benefit from this as well.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts