Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all I have an 06 RTL with the standard nav disc.

Few questions:
Is it worth getting the current cd 2013/2014/2015
Is there a way to get a cheaper copy
Is there any "mods" or tricks to the nav screen that maybe I don't know about?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Hey Y'all I have an 06 RTL with the standard nav disc.

Few questions:
Is it worth getting the current cd 2013/2014/2015
Is there a way to get a cheaper copy
Is there any "mods" or tricks to the nav screen that maybe I don't know about?

Thanks guys
Is it worth getting? Only if you want the latest maps and POI's available.

If you have an original 2006 navigation DVD in your unit you'll have to get the secondary update DVD that was issued in 2009. To go directly from 2006 to 2014 won't work.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
If I recall the male voice will be lost only female in later updates.
Might be something with clock function also from original DVD can't remember.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Is it worth getting? Only if you want the latest maps and POI's available.

If you have an original 2006 navigation DVD in your unit you'll have to get the secondary update DVD that was issued in 2009. To go directly from 2006 to 2014 won't work.
.... and I believe they will include that "transition" disc with your order at no additional cost, BUT ONLY IF YOU ASK THEM TO. Better to call to place your order, then you can make sure they know you're going from 2006 to present (so they'll include the extra disc).

As for "can I get one cheaper".... only if you can find somebody unloading an old one (like on eBay).... but you better know what you're doing. You need the exact version to fit your Ridge... and you can't use any newer ones on your 2006 w/o first having that "transition" disc.

Do you need it??? Totally subjective. I only update mine every 3 or 4 years. Mostly for the updated POI info..... it's nice to have phone numbers for places along the route. But now days, most people can do that on their phone (same holds true for navi for that matter). But it can be a pain to get wrong road info & errant directions because you don't have the latest disc.
I'd say if you use it on the road much, you probably don't want it to get too outdated (unless the places you go don't have much in the way of new roads/streets). :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 660 with lifetime maps, Bluetooth, MP3 player, and other goodies was worth the price years ago. And it goes from truck, to car, to bike easily enough....

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 660 with lifetime maps, Bluetooth, MP3 player, and other goodies was worth the price years ago. And it goes from truck, to car, to bike easily enough....
Never need to worry about factory Nav being stolen & it's always there:act006:

·
Administrator
16,064 Posts
To re-state and clarify what others have said, when upgrading your 2006 to the current version...

1. Yes, the male voice will be lost.

2. Nothing will change with the clock. From 2006-2008, the navigation display turned off when it timed out if you didn't press the "okay" button after starting the truck. From 2009-2014, the display shows the clock screen instead. Updating the navi software does not add this functionality to the 2006-2008.

3. You'll need the "second" disc, but it will be included automatically if needed based on the year and model of vehicle you select when you place the order through the website or over the phone. There is no charge for the second disc when required.

4. In the past, the update has been offered with free shipping and/or a discounted price at random times. I don't recall any promotions since they started a multi-year discount plan a year or two ago.

5. Since 2006, there have been updates to the maps and points of interest (which are 1-2 years old the moment the newest version is released). Arrows showing direction of one-way streets were added. No other significant functionality has been added. It will look and operate the same as your original version.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
To re-state and clarify what others have said, when upgrading your 2006 to the current version...

2. Nothing will change with the clock. From 2006-2008, the navigation display turned off when it timed out if you didn't press the "okay" button after starting the truck. From 2009-2014, the display shows the clock screen instead. Updating the navi software does not add this functionality to the 2006-2008.

3. You'll need the "second" disc, but it will be included automatically if needed based on the year and model of vehicle you select when you place the order through the website or over the phone. There is no charge for the second disc when required.

4. In the past, the update has been offered with free shipping and/or a discounted price at random times. I don't recall any promotions since they started a multi-year discount plan a year or two ago.

5. Since 2006, there have been updates to the maps and points of interest (which are 1-2 years old the moment the newest version is released). Arrows showing direction of one-way streets were added. No other significant functionality has been added. It will look and operate the same as your original version.
But did something change with the clock 06-07 to next update? This might have been auto an daylight savings function or something.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

There ARE SOME additional changes beyond those mentioned above.... most (if not all) are minor refinements. Examples are the addition of street names (used to just say "turn left", now says "turn left on Maple street"). Another I believe has to do with memory... maybe max entries or something like that & I believe breadcrumb mapping changed somehow (don't really remember that one).

·
Administrator
16,064 Posts
But did something change with the clock 06-07 to next update? This might have been auto an daylight savings function or something.
Yes - the start and end dates for Daylight Saving Time changed to reflect the extended DST period.

There ARE SOME additional changes beyond those mentioned above.... most (if not all) are minor refinements. Examples are the addition of street names (used to just say "turn left", now says "turn left on Maple street"). Another I believe has to do with memory... maybe max entries or something like that & I believe breadcrumb mapping changed somehow (don't really remember that one).
I had forgot about the spoken street names, which still seem to be inconsistent. Sometimes, I'll notice the voice say something like: "Turn left on the next road" (without speaking the name of the road). Other times it will speak a prerecorded road name. Sometimes, it will speak the road name in a synthesized voice. I do remember something about breadcrumbs - perhaps the ability to turn them on/off or erase them? I've always had them, but my first Ridgeline was an '07.

Even with the latest updates, it really is a slow, clunky, low-res, minimalist, and inconsistent system. Then again, the basic hardware dates back almost 15 years. It was once a cutting-edge system that was one of the easiest to use. I find myself using my iPhone for navigation most of the time now. It's much faster and more accurate to tell Siri, "How do I get to the nearest Genghis Grill?"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never need to worry about factory Nav being stolen & it's always there:act006:
For as much as that factory Nav costs, and for each update you have to buy, you could have many Nuvi 660s with lifetime updates. I use mine in my truck, car and on two of my bikes..... It always there as well. If it ever got stolen I might turn it in to insurance and get another off eBay for what the cost of an annual update is for a factory installed Nav unit.

And with lifetime updates...I can update it whenever I need to without having to buy or load a CD. I just bring it up to my PC, plug it in and update it, then take it back down to the truck or bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts