Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTS with cylinder #4 giving me problems. runs fine 0 - 45 MPH, but once I get passed the 45 PMH it shakes like if its one of those crazy big booty girls twerking (lol)
I bought it used with 140k Miles on it and it was running okay after it got to the 195k, I dont want to get rid of it because its a really nice truck so I want to ask what would be my best bet to keep her.

1 - Rebuild the engine
2 - Buy a used engine

I have been driving it like that since I only use it to go to work, 15 miles per day.

Thank you!!!:act035:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello, welcome to the ROC.

Shaking like "big booty Judy" could be a number of things. Please tell us what evidence you have collected to know for sure it's #4 cylinder. Are you getting a misfire code?

Speed related shakes are typically wheel/tire issues but it could be a number of things.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
helloo & Thanks for your reply!!

I have replaced the spark plugs and coil packs a few times already and the last two times two were covered in oil.

also I took it to a mechanic to look at it and he says the same thing.

- burning a lot of oil.
- white smoke comes out of the tail pipe.
- Gas Mileage has decreased to like 9-10 ish per Gallon
- White smoke smells like Gasoline
- loss of power
- codes show missfire in all cylinders
- Engine light blinking while driving

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
That sounds like a blown head gasket. Don't drive it any more, make an appointment with your mechanic to get it looked it. It will need to be flat-bedded to him.

Chip H.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not good I'm afraid. Sounds very familiar and not very promising. I'm sure there are several members who have had the same experience that can offer great advice on repair/replacement of your engine.

Good luck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your Reply's but I also forgot to mention that my mechanic checked and verified that we had low compression and also said it's not a blown head gasket

·
Registered
302 Posts
In case you havn't already stumbled across this in another thread, the cost of rebuilding your engine is on par with buying a used engine that hasn't been rebuilt. You are looking at roughly $1500-2500. There will be pro's and con's to both sides. If you do deicde to shop for a complete used engine, you will need to get one from a ridgeline that is 2006-2008. If you are rebuilding or buying just a used block there are some that will say an AWD Pilot engine block of the same years will be usable as well (just the shortblock though). You would have to reuse your heads etc.

I called a Honda Dealership and asked them about my 2006 and they told me that only a 2006 engine would work from a Ridgeline.... they had obviously no idea..... we do have folks here with 2006's that have 2008 engines. You just can't use anything newer as there were several updates in the 2009+ engine and transmission.

As the day progresses more folks will get on who have had your same issue and can lead you in the right direction.

I wouldnt rule out the probability that it could be a valve issue, since you are smelling gas and getting oil on the plugs (oil flows to the heads because we have over head cams rockers, etc). Your mechanic can rule out the valves by doing a wet and then dry compression test to help rule them out (or the piston rings).

But from what you explain, it's the well documented #4 cylinder issue.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info @bogus919, I do have some questions.

- you said 2006 - 2008 Engine will fit my ridgeline with no problem but
does the style makes a difference on the engine, RTS RTL?

- If I had the option, what engine do you guys recommend? 06-07-08

- Any good place that you guys know about to find good used engines?

Thank youuu!

·
Registered
302 Posts
It doesnt matter the style (RTS, RTL etc) as the engines are all the same.

I'd look online at junk-yards that will offer a warrenty on the engine and possibly drop it off at your doorstep (or your installer).

If I was looking, I'd try to find an 08 with under 100k miles but honestly any of them will do, the lower the miles the better in Most cases.

Try to find one that had rear damage too.

http://www.partshotlines.com/parts/honda/ridgeline/engine-assembly.html

http://www.wellerauto.com/used_auto_parts/used_engines_forsale

Just a few examples

1 - 10 of 10 Posts