Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm in the market for a 2007-2008 Honda Ridgeline. I'm mainly interested in the RTX trim. But have looked at and driven a 2007 RTL. It had 154k. What are the dangers of buying a high mileage Ridgeline? Any suggestions for me in my search?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If the service records are available you want to look for:

Was the Timing belt/water pump changed? (how long ago?
Has the radiator been replaced? If not check the connections for corrosion and plan on doing that. (no too expensive especially if you are a DIY type)
Were the fluids changed regularly?
Was the airbag recall done?
Were the valves adjusted?

If no records are available then you will probably want to have these done at some point and use it as a negotiating tool.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the service records are available you want to look for:

Was the Timing belt/water pump changed? (how long ago?
Has the radiator been replaced? If not check the connections for corrosion and plan on doing that. (no too expensive especially if you are a DIY type)
Were the fluids changed regularly?
Was the airbag recall done?
Were the valves adjusted?

If no records are available then you will probably want to have these done at some point and use it as a negotiating tool.
I will add my two cents...
look for signs of high oil consumption. If you can and are allowed by the seller, ask when last the plugs were changed and then pull the plugs and look for heavy deposits on the plugs. Just look at the three front plugs. If you don't have the experience to do this then don't, Its not your car yet.

Start the car COLD. See if you can get the person to NOT start the car, let it sit overnight. Then the moment it starts look at the tailpipe. Nice big puff of blue smoke..... Oil settled on top of the piston(s).

Some sellers forget to remove the extra qt of oil and coolant they drive around with every day for top ups. Look in the trunk section for evidence to that. If found, That's a bad sign.

Oil leaks near crank seal.
Check Engine Light or Air Bag light or any other light for that matter.

Interior wise:
Check that all door locks work, going up and down.
Fold up the rear seats and make sure the legs fold flat.
Dash board lights work?
Test your XM radio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts