Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 with 97k miles has been acting strange, for the past 2 days, after I drove it when I get back to the car around 15-30 minutes later, the battery is dead. I have to manually open the door with the key, but what's weird is that the door and dashboard lights go on as soon as I open the door. Then I can start the car, however I have to reset the GPS and Radio codes.

It hasn't been that cold in Houston, TX around 40-50's at night, but during the day it's 50-60 when I've been driving it and experience this. I've also had this truck up in NY during cold winters and didn't have this problem.

The battery is fairly new, I got it in July 2013. Could the alternator be going or ground wire is loose? But which is the ground wire? Both terminals (red/black) on the battery are on tight.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You are assuming the battery is dead because your auto door locks don't work? That would be a key battery...but the whole gps and radio thing is weird....is it hard to start or does it start like nothing is wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Loose or bad connections aren't limited to just the battery terminals. There could be a bad connection at the other end of the wire or there could be a break in between. Electrical problems can be hard to track down and it requires a methodical approach to determine where the problem is. It is also worth noting that one electrical problem can lead to another.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Go to an Autozone or other parts store and have them check the charging system. They do it for free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the guy that safetied my truck when i got it said that there is a ground wire that is right by the front drivers side tire (underneath) that always corrodes. i think it comes from the alternator to the frame

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to Autozone and the charge and voltage are correct. It is a dead cell in the battery. I got it from Adv. Auto Parts, but they said their systems aren't linked to other stores which I don't believe, I need to find my receipt and of course it's the only one that's not in my maintenance records folder.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,069 Posts
I went to Autozone and the charge and voltage are correct. It is a dead cell in the battery. I got it from Adv. Auto Parts, but they said their systems aren't linked to other stores which I don't believe, I need to find my receipt and of course it's the only one that's not in my maintenance records folder.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest that it was. If you have the Autocraft Gold lead acid battery from Autozone, I had trouble with them. One went dead after just 2 years and Autozone replaced it for free. 7 months later, that one died, too. I was getting tired of it, so I upgraded to the Autocraft Platinum AGM battery. It's been fantastic for me for nearly three years now with no signs of letting down anytime soon. It's about $50-60 more expensive, but my store allowed me to simply upgrade for the price difference. I would recommend you do the same. If your remember where you bought it, you can likely call the store and they could bring it up for you on their computer. They could email you a copy of it and then you could use that for the warranty. Otherwise, I hope you find the receipt!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you paid via credit card, check you records there. That should give you specific store & time of purchase. That should get you what you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts