Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
146K miles on it. Replaced anti-sway bar bushings with Honda bushings. Still a lot of clunking. Almost sounds like it's coming from higher up. What is most likely cause and would it be cheaper to just replace the whole strut assemblies with all bushings? Great truck that I will keep a long time.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have same issue on my 09 now for 1.5 years. Replaced sway bar mounts and links. No better. Strut is not leaking and top strut bushing assembly is tight and good. Check engine mounts, window washer tank, steering rack, etc under hood as well. I can never stop it, not sure anyone has seems like people who have it just live with it sounding like the front end suspension is going to fall off. Mine happens from passenger side front and only turning left over bumps.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That is really unnecessary. If you can't find the problem yourself, take it to a good suspension shop. They should be able to find/fix your issue.

Also, it sounds like maybe you did NOT replace your bump stops on your shocks???? That's a fairly common cause for clunking, and they're not expensive parts (labor is however). I'd be doing that before giving up. You won't always be able to tell by looking if they are any good or not.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,593 Posts
That is really unnecessary. If you can't find the problem yourself, take it to a good suspension shop. They should be able to find/fix your issue.

Also, it sounds like maybe you did NOT replace your bump stops on your shocks???? That's a fairly common cause for clunking, and they're not expensive parts (labor is however). I'd be doing that before giving up. You won't always be able to tell by looking if they are any good or not.
I think that the noise from loose bump stops is in the rear suspension. Dzorn says his problem is up front.
Most certainly, there is no inherent suspension noise that all Ridgelines make so I agree that Dzorn hasn't yet found the problem that his truck has. . . Problems with the swaybar bushings and endlinks do effect handling but as far as basic safety is concerned they are not as worrisome as issues with the main suspension components like the strut units and control arms etc. If the issue isn't with the sway bar system then it would probably be wise not to "give up" and take yet another look, and or have a suspension pro look at it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Replace front struts and upper mounts. At your mileage you are due to do them anyways. That should be your issue if you have already done the sway bar bushings with OEM bushings.

There is no way you can test your upper strut mounts. They will feel firm by your hand... whole different story when you have a 3000 lb truck move them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sometimes my ears get confused as to whether a noise is coming from the front or rear, so that may be an issue here. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is your springs. Once I had a cracked spring on a different car and it was making a clunking noise until the cracked part completely snapped off. The clunking stopped, but one side of the car was suddenly shorter than the other side =p

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
146K miles on it. Replaced anti-sway bar bushings with Honda bushings. Still a lot of clunking. Almost sounds like it's coming from higher up. What is most likely cause and would it be cheaper to just replace the whole strut assemblies with all bushings? Great truck that I will keep a long time.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Front struts and tower bearings.

or

Tie rods

I had the clunking noise and replaced the struts and tower bearing ad that resolved my truck's noise issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts