Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

07 RTS rough idle

7K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
I have an 07 RTS with 62,000 miles on it. It runs just a bit rough at a light while in gear. Not so much while in park. I have noticed a drop in MPG. From 17 down to 13.5. I replaced the plugs with NGK Laser Iridum,(and had to re torque after 2 weeks), cleaned the throttle body, and ran injector cleaner through to no avail. No CEL on. Acceleration seems decent other wise. Anything I may be missing? TIA

#2 ·
That sounds like the OEM plug so you should be good. What made you think to check the torque after 2 weeks on the plugs?

My best guess based on the info provided is that a valve adjustment may be in order. If you decide to do that, please report back with the findings. I would expect exhaust valves to be on the tight side and intake valves on the loose side of the range.

#3 ·
That sounds like the OEM plug so you should be good. What made you think to check the torque after 2 weeks on the plugs?

My best guess based on the info provided is that a valve adjustment may be in order. If you decide to do that, please report back with the findings. I would expect exhaust valves to be on the tight side and intake valves on the loose side of the range.
I agree with Speed on the Valve Adjustment advice.... but if that does not do the trick, seriously suspect fuel injection system. You may have leaky seals somewhere, or even injectors that need attention (not withstanding the treatments you've applied).

#4 ·
I'm pretty handy with working on vehicles, but I may leave the valve adjustment to the pros. After doing some homework, this looks somewhat labor intense to do on the Ridgeline.
As for as re torquing the plugs, I had started to get the smell of gas through the AC vents. I read a few posts here and saw several dealing with the plugs loosening up. Lo and behold I had 3 that were finger loose. No issues since then. I'll look into a valve adjustment and report back if and when I get it done. I'm thinking about just letting the dealer diagnose it and go from there.

#5 ·
There are some good posts here about DIY valve adjustments with pics, etc. I can post a link if you are so inclined.

That being said, I'll also have the shop do my valve adjustment. I don't have a spare vehicle available for however long it will take me to do the job!

#7 ·
For what it's worth, my truck has been doing this for the past two years or so. Everything is meticulously maintained and I had a valve adjustment done last spring hoping that would fix the issue. It did nothing. If anything, I feel better knowing the valves are properly clearance, but I'm thinking it may be fuel injector related as it's more pronounced on some days whereas it's nearly imperceptible on other days. It hasn't bothered me enough yet to take it into a dealership specifically for that. I would recommend having the valve adjustment done for good measure, but you'll likely not see any relief from this problem afterwards.

#8 ·
@ Ian, That's what I was afraid of. Your symptoms are excataly what I am seeing as well. There are days that it seems as if it's smooth idle, but days where I wonder if it's going to shut down at a light. I agree about the valve adjustment being good piece of mind. I'm thinking of bringing it to Honda this week just for a diagnosis. Thanks for your input.

#9 ·
It hasn't quite ever been so bad that I thought the truck was going to shut down at a light, but it is worse on certain days. I'll be very interested to see how your (our) issue is diagnosed and eventually fixed. I have done a pile of research and have not come up with a definitive root cause.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
No. It never got bad enough that it bothered me. Still have the truck at 176,000 miles and still running as sweetly as it always has. It does have a slight vibration at idle while in drive sometimes, but it’s not very pronounced. Most days it’s not there at all. Still using top tier 93 octane fuel and change all fluids regularly. It could be a slightly wearing engine mount, something in the transmission or torque converter, or it could be just a very minor imbalance on something. I’m not terribly concerned with it at this point. If this truck nets me a couple more years, I’ll be happy. But I’m truly thinking it will go at least another 5-7.

#15 ·
snip
If this truck nets me a couple more years, I’ll be happy. But I’m truly thinking it will go at least another 5-7.
I think you can add an easy 10 years to your estimates there Ian. Probably have it around for when your kidlets start to drive. Might be a good vehicle for them. ;)

I know you keep it in good shape and take care of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.