Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the ROC here and have read the related posts on this issue and would like to get some help on this recent problem with my RTX. I bought it used with 56,000, 2 years later it has 88,000...

About 2 months ago, it began "slipping" around 40 mph. I checked the fluid and it was due for a change so I went ahead did that. I drained 3.5 qts out but it took 4 to bring it back up.? I thought maybe that was my slipping problem. Ran great but it's still slipping. Ok no biggie, I'll ride it out. Now i have a leak. It seems to be coming from around the little black cover between the engine and transmission. Checked the oil, probably about half a quart low. I an electronics tech not a mechanic so I am guessing either too much tranny fluid even though it's good on the stick or the torque convertor seal needs to be replaced? Do you know how much this repair is going for?

Little disappointed with this one as I have taken very good care of this vehicle, I don't hot dog it, keep the maintenance up, replace the crush washer, etc....

Thanks in advance!
T

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Sounds like you were unlucky and the main seal has sprung a leak.

Talk to your dealer and see if Honda Corporate will help with the cost of repairs.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,658 Posts
I confess to being a bit confused. Slipping around 40 mph sounds like a tranny issue and would be unrelated to the main seal.

Do you have a tranny fluid leak or an engine oil leak? If tranny, it should be slightly reddish in color. A leak in either case is not a good thing, depending on how severe the leak is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
He's talking about two different problems - one being "slipping" in the transmission, and one being an oil leak from the black cover.

tlo - leaking from the black cover is the tell-tale sign of a defective rear main seal. I've had mine replaced twice, but the first time I was within the powertrain warranty and they replaced it under that. The second time I was out of powertrain warranty in months, and also out (in months) of the 12 mo./12,000 mile warranty from the first replacement job - but Honda covered the full replacement cost of the second job as well. It's an expensive repair (around $1,400.00), but just make a reasoned case with your dealership and ask them to ask their regional rep about covering the cost given that there have been numerous failures of that rear main seal. I bet Honda will help you with it.

Once you get the rear main seal fixed, then convert your transmission fluid over to DW-1 per the numerous instructional threads on this site - that might help, if not cure, the slippage problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes its two different problems. The leak is definitely oil and not transmission fluid. I put in the new type of transmission fluid, DW-1(?) to help with the shift issue two weeks ago, found this leak yesterday, and tried to connect the problems together. (I am surprised Honda hasn't at least extended the warranty. We got a letter in the mail on our Civic. There's problems with the blocks and they extended the warranty to 8 years unlimited mileage.) I will go to bat with Honda about it.

About the transmission fluid amount...the manual calls for 3.3 quarts. I poured the fluid (drained) into an oil container and it measured 3.5. It took 4 to refill it though.? I figured maybe it was a half quart low and that was causing the slippage. It has gotten better but not disappeared.

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update...I was supposed to take the truck in for eval this afternoon. I was looking under the truck and noticed the oil filter had a lot of oil and dirt caked on it. Hmmm? I tried to tighten it and it turned about half a turn. I canceled the appointment and when I got home there was even more oil and could be traced to the filter. Yesterday, it did not look like the oil was coming from the filter. I changed the oil, chucked the Napa filter and put on a new OEM. Last oil change was 4,400 miles ago. I cleaned off the undercarriage afterwards. So far its pretty dry under there. I'll continue to watch it.

·
Super Moderator
23,658 Posts
Beware if the gasket comes off the filter and sticks to the mount. You end up with a double gasket if you don't notice. That is a sure-fire leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your OP stated it took 4 qts to fill it back up? Make sure your checking the fluid with engine at normal operating temp and not running. Fluid change spec is only 3.3 qts

Automatic transmission fluid

Use Honda ATF-Z1
Fluid change
3.1 L (3.3 US qt)

Overhaul
8.1 L (8.6 US qt) (2006 models) 8.0 L (8.4 US qt) (2007 models)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hello, I am new to the ROC here and have read the related posts on this issue and would like to get some help on this recent problem with my RTX. I bought it used with 56,000, 2 years later it has 88,000...

About 2 months ago, it began "slipping" around 40 mph. I checked the fluid and it was due for a change so I went ahead did that. I drained 3.5 qts out but it took 4 to bring it back up.? I thought maybe that was my slipping problem. Ran great but it's still slipping. Ok no biggie, I'll ride it out. Now i have a leak. It seems to be coming from around the little black cover between the engine and transmission. Checked the oil, probably about half a quart low. I an electronics tech not a mechanic so I am guessing either too much tranny fluid even though it's good on the stick or the torque convertor seal needs to be replaced? Do you know how much this repair is going for?

Little disappointed with this one as I have taken very good care of this vehicle, I don't hot dog it, keep the maintenance up, replace the crush washer, etc....

Thanks in advance!
T
first off, determine if it's Tranny fluid or oil, (transmission fluid is red), if it is red and it seems to be coming from the front, check the hoses going to the transmission cooler(mounted in front of the radiator). My 07 was also leaking and upon searching for the leak I noticed the hose to the cooler wasw leaking, I cut some of the hose and replaced the clamp, no more leaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the truck in this morning as the leak has continued. I received a call back and it was $1,225 of bad news. The rear main seal needs to be replaced. I called Honda Customer Service who referred me back to the dealer. The service manager called the area manager who basically said I was out of luck. They weren't going to do anything about it. The service manager took 10% off the price. I am looking at $1K when I pick it up tomorrow.

I am disappointed with Honda Corporate. Dealership has been good. I have owned 3 Hondas for the past 2.5 years and 2 of those for the past 6. I guess customer loyalty with Honda is a one-way street.

·
Super Moderator
23,658 Posts
Sorry for the bad news tlo. We expect Hondas to run much farther than that without issue. In all fairness to Honda, you are well outside the power train warranty. Still, it would have been a nice gesture on Honda's part if they split the bill with you.

·
Super Moderator
23,658 Posts
Sometimes I have to wonder just what the magic words are that swing a company to help one person out but not another in out-of-warranty cases. Maybe if you hold your tongue just right, it will happen. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The service rep referred to a chart of some sort. He made it sound like it takes into account if the owner is the original or otherwise and how many times the vehicle has been in for service. The chart then gives a percentage of how much of the repair is covered.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The service rep referred to a chart of some sort. He made it sound like it takes into account if the owner is the original or otherwise and how many times the vehicle has been in for service. The chart then gives a percentage of how much of the repair is covered.
Mmm, interesting

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not discounting your observation tlo, but I've never heard of such a chart. When I took my truck in for the second rear main seal leak, the service advisors (two of them) immediately washed their hands of giving me any kind of warranty consideration since mine was 10 days out of warranty from the first repair. They contacted the Honda zone rep, who authorized full coverage on my second repair job. It's unfortunate in your case is that you're the second owner and had a lot of miles on yours. It would still be worth a letter to Honda corporate just to see if they'd reimburse you something after-the-fact.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I contacted the dealer, and gave me the news, I asked for Honda Customer Care. The corporate rep referred me back to the dealership. When I spoke with the manager, he asked if I was a given a claim number and I said no. He then told me that I should have gotten that and referred to the chart. I didn't observe the chart, it's just what the service manager told me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Done deal. I got the truck back today $1,023.22 later, which included an alignment. I have been using Mobil 5-20W full synthetic. Any comments on what others have been using?

·
Super Moderator
23,658 Posts
Same here: Mobil1 5w-20 in either standard or Extended Performance formulation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts