Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, put your full size spare in with the valve stem facing the front of the truck.

For multiple years now I've had a full size spare with the TPMS sensor. I always located the sensor in the center of the wheel, facing the rear bumper. I've never had any problems.

Until now.

I put on my winter tires which are mounted on a 2nd set of stock wheels, and put one of my summer tires in the truck as the spare. TPMS light came on. Of course I'm dreading the worst, thinking I may have a bad TPMS sensor.

After reviewing the forums and not finding anything definitive I did the following:

Pulled the spare tire out, no TPMS light.

Put the spare back in, valve stem in same location, TPMS light.

Rotated the valve stem 180, so it is in the forward most position closest to the rear seat. No TPMS light.

Long story short, put your full size spare in with the valve stem facing the front of the truck.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,206 Posts
That will save someone hours of troubleshooting and a possible trip to the dealer. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem, that was the intention. That is what this site is all about, sharing knowledge, opinions and experiences. After 126k, I've shared a few.

Considering that a full size spare is not mentioned in the factory service manual, in the list of troubleshooting steps for the TPMS system, I don't want to know what the dealer would charge, or how much of the truck they would have torn apart!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts