Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 RTS occasionally feels like it downshifted too soon when slowing or upships a tad late when speeding up. This oocurs mostly at low speeds. It feels like its in the wrong gear when slowing and then upshifts as the speed slows more.(??)
Was there a TSB for anything like this? I searched the forums but can't seem to find the TSB , just references to one.
Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
I believe that there is a TSB for the trans, a software update, but I am not sure if it is only for earlier years.....check this forum as there were posts on this subject and some owners have had it done. You could send them a message for help, or additional color.

RidgeLI

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Many discussions over the years in this forum about how the transmission "seems rough". To anyone who has driven a vehicle that really does have a highly sophisticated automatic transmission, The RL will seem rougher. If you have driven older, commercial sized pick ups mostly, it is about the same in level of sophistication; however, your expectations are likely that it should be more on the side of a sophisticated vehicle. Unfortunately, Honda is currently advertising the RL as something you might take to the opera in a tux and that is about as ludicrous a marketing strategy as I have seen in the automotive industry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Many discussions over the years in this forum about how the transmission "seems rough". To anyone who has driven a vehicle that really does have a highly sophisticated automatic transmission, The RL will seem rougher. If you have driven older, commercial sized pick ups mostly, it is about the same in level of sophistication; however, your expectations are likely that it should be more on the side of a sophisticated vehicle. Unfortunately, Honda is currently advertising the RL as something you might take to the opera in a tux and that is about as ludicrous a marketing strategy as I have seen in the automotive industry.
I just bought an 08 RL, and have just put 96000 trouble free miles on an 03 Pilot. Should I expect the transmission in the RL to be any different than the Pilot transmission, other than the overall gearing being slightly lower?
( 70mph=appx2000rpm on RL, about 1850-1900 rpm on the Pilot)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I just bought an 08 RL, and have just put 96000 trouble free miles on an 03 Pilot. Should I expect the transmission in the RL to be any different than the Pilot transmission, other than the overall gearing being slightly lower?
It's pretty much the same transmission, except for gear ratios, so it should feel very similar. I think it is a very smooth shifting tranny. Different driving styles may affect how it feels.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A lot of people have mentioned the tranny and the dead spot while accelerating and decelerating. Which is a shame, because all other Honda models I've driven seem to shift in and out seamlessly.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,542 Posts
I've driven plenty of automatics--you can gripe about the Ridgeline, but I think it has one of the most intuitive logic systems around. I "tell it" which gear I want via my right foot. Glad too, because my Toyota Tacoma had lock outs for each gear, which I prefer--I was pretty skeptical when all I saw was "D" on the Ridgeline. :eek:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
A lot of people have mentioned the tranny and the dead spot while accelerating and decelerating. Which is a shame, because all other Honda models I've driven seem to shift in and out seamlessly.
I've complained in the past about the dead spot when accelerating after slowing before a turn, but, either I've simply gotten used to it, or it's gotten better. I've developed a different problem now that only occurs once in a while. When cruising in the 40 mph range and letting off the gas then resuming speed, the transmission seems to be confused as to which gear to go into. I get a slight jerking feeling then everything is normal. Other than the slight tranny annoyances, I really love my RL. Certain things like the steering wheel not telescoping should be redesigned, but overall I'm very happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '06 RTL has always had a dead spot after coasting then resuming speed. For instance, when turning into a deceleration lane, completing a corner, then attempting to pick up speed again it always stumbles. It does a poor job of moving to a lower gear when cruising slowly after the transmission has found its way into its highest gear. I have complained with no resolution. I agree with others that the transmission seems fairly sophisticated- particularly in that it will remain in lower gears going down hill to help slow the truck down. But I really dislike the stumbling and bumbling along. It is one of the few things that I dislike about the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My '06 RTL has always had a dead spot after coasting then resuming speed. For instance, when turning into a deceleration lane, completing a corner, then attempting to pick up speed again it always stumbles. It does a poor job of moving to a lower gear when cruising slowly after the transmission has found its way into its highest gear. I have complained with no resolution. I agree with others that the transmission seems fairly sophisticated- particularly in that it will remain in lower gears going down hill to help slow the truck down. But I really dislike the stumbling and bumbling along. It is one of the few things that I dislike about the vehicle.

my 08' does that to, i never drove a car with thise strange kinda transmission, buts its a hell of a lot better the a CVT transmission, i really dont thin honda thought this transmission through (or theres a problem with lots of ridgeline transmissions)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a similar issue. It's not a dead spot. It's a range between 25 and 45 MPH where it feels like the tranny is in one gear too low (downshifted). The truck feels like the brakes are on slightly. When it gets to about 20 mph, it actually upshifts and then coasts easily. Same thing when above 50 or 55.This phenom is most noticible when on a highway and in heavy traffic. It doesn't always happen. At one point I thought it was AC compressor drag but turning off the compressor doesn't seem to help (unless there is some delay to the compressor disengaging after the AC button is pressed)

My 07is not in the VIN range for the software TSB

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 07 RTS occasionally feels like it downshifted too soon when slowing or upships a tad late when speeding up. This oocurs mostly at low speeds. It feels like its in the wrong gear when slowing and then upshifts as the speed slows more.(??)
Was there a TSB for anything like this? I searched the forums but can't seem to find the TSB , just references to one.
Thanks
I have a 2017 RTL-E 140,600 miles on it my transmission sped up and slowed down. From 30 to 47 mph. The fix was . A honda directive to flush fill drive flush fill drive 3 times. Worked for mine 200 bucks in fluid. You should do that frequently anyway.
~B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts