Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum and could really use some help before I spend some money! I have an 08 RTL and it's been amazing til now. It has developed a starting issue that makes no senses to me. It started about a month ago turn keys as usual then I came out of a store and nothing! Did not turn over however I heard a click coming from the engine area. Waited a few minutes then fired back up. Fast forward to now and it's happening much more regularly and longer dead intervals. Not sure if it's the starter. BTW Battery is good! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Adrian

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum and could really use some help before I spend some money! I have an 08 RTL and it's been amazing til now. It has developed a starting issue that makes no senses to me. It started about a month ago turn keys as usual then I came out of a store and nothing! Did not turn over however I heard a click coming from the engine area. Waited a few minutes then fired back up. Fast forward to now and it's happening much more regularly and longer dead intervals. Not sure if it's the starter. BTW Battery is good! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Adrian
1) How do you know battery is good? How old is it? How did you check it's current condition?

2) You may just have poor connections (dirty or loose).

3) Could be starter or maybe relay?

4) Did you ever have to jump it to get it started? If so, did it work fine when you hooked up another battery (jumper) to boost ? If so, then you need new battery or better connections.

.... my bet, just based on percentages is you are not getting enough juice to your starter, either due to weak battery or poor connections.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,602 Posts
My 08 RTL has never failed to start. It starts about a dozen times each day. That equates to thousands of starts in it's 8 year life. I am on my 3rd battery. Because I use my electrical system, a lot, for numerous devices, my battery always takes a hit.

So far in it's life, all it's required are new batteries occasionally. Everything else electrical is original.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply!
When my truck starts it starts strong as it should! The battery has no leaks or corrosion and terminals look ok though I haven't pulled them off. I never had the need to jump start it but that's a great idea to try. I swapped relays so I don't think that's the problem.
The strange thing is yesterday it went a full day without starting. Last night I wanted to start it with a remote switch so I tried it like normal with the key first and it fired right up like it should. I'm scratching my head with this.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply!
When my truck starts it starts strong as it should! The battery has no leaks or corrosion and terminals look ok though I haven't pulled them off. I never had the need to jump start it but that's a great idea to try. I swapped relays so I don't think that's the problem.
The strange thing is yesterday it went a full day without starting. Last night I wanted to start it with a remote switch so I tried it like normal with the key first and it fired right up like it should. I'm scratching my head with this.
I would think, to rule out the simple stuff, you should at least remove the cables & clean the terminals (battery terminal wire brush tool or similar). Also check that your cable connection at the starter is tight. You could look for other major ground connections that might be corroded, but I would first focus on the battery, it's connections & condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok... I replaced the battery a couple hours ago. Car started right up so I thought problem solved... Nope! It's doing the same thing. I cleaned the terminals (they were already pretty clean) anyway. Any more insight would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ok... I replaced the battery a couple hours ago. Car started right up so I thought problem solved... Nope! It's doing the same thing. I cleaned the terminals (they were already pretty clean) anyway. Any more insight would be much appreciated!

Don't forget to check connections at other ends of the cables too (starter & ground).

But .... you might just have a bad starter or ignition switch. (starter more likely, but ignitions do go bad from time to time.... even if usually on older vehicles). Might also be your key sensor ring at the ignition switch?? You don't want to just throw parts at it, but at least now you know it's NOT your battery....

In the old days, I would have waited for one of those "it won't start" episodes, and then jumped directly to the starter (to make sure the starter itself is not the problem); but now days, I wouldn't try directly jumping (powering) anything, given the sensitivity of all of those electronic circuits we have tied into everything.... might just blow out something expensive!

Sorry I can't help more... maybe someone smarter than me...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
538 Posts
At about 70k miles, the starter in my 07 crapped-out. Turn the key to start, "click" nothing. Release the key, turn to start again "click" nothing, 3rd time, she would start normal.

Next time you turn the key to start and she doesn't crank, release the key and quickly cycle to the start position a few times. If she starts after a few cycles, it's time for a starter..or at least it's time to have the contacts inside of the starter replaced. Let me explain...

Inside of the starter solenoid there are two copper contacts, and a spring loaded copper/steel plunger that when you turn the key to "start", the plunger connects with the contacts and the starter motor spins. Over time, those copper contacts wear down and the plunger doesn't make a solid connection. Cycling the key to "start" will sometimes get the plunger to make a good connection. A good repair shop can change those contacts, it's really easy. This is a link to what the parts look like. Once the starter is out of the truck, it takes 5 minutes to replace the contacts. Hopefully this helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hon...ei=Uci-Vt--CInBmwGw-oko#imgrc=-SWmA71bvUBePM:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!!! Just now I went out to my truck turned the key and no start. I hooked up a remote switch directly to the started and it turned over every time I pushed the button. Took the switch off and tried to start it with the key and nothing. Just that same click from the engine compartment. Seems to me that power is getting to the engine. I think I'm closing in on the problem though! Thank you all for your continued help.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That sure seems to confirm Donuteater's comment about failed starter solenoid. Back in the 50s/60s vehicles, the solenoid was separate from the starter (mounted on the wheel well or similar), so you could just jump across the terminals of the solenoid with a screw driver to start the car, until you could get around to replacing it. Good old days? Now they're all mounted on/in the starter.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
That sure seems to confirm Donuteater's comment about failed starter solenoid. Back in the 50s/60s vehicles, the solenoid was separate from the starter (mounted on the wheel well or similar), so you could just jump across the terminals of the solenoid with a screw driver to start the car, until you could get around to replacing it. Good old days? Now they're all mounted on/in the starter.
Does the remote starter actually by pass the solenoid?? I doubt it but I could be wrong . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought by hooking up a remote switch to the starter, and the starter working, eliminated the starter as being the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,865 Posts
Unless I misunderstand, it sounds like you are bypassing the starter switch in the ignition key assembly. Not the starter solenoid within the starter itself. Thus I would be more likely to suspect your ignition switch assembly.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Does the remote starter actually by pass the solenoid?? I doubt it but I could be wrong . . .
I thought by hooking up a remote switch to the starter, and the starter working, eliminated the starter as being the culprit.
Unless I misunderstand, it sounds like you are bypassing the starter switch in the ignition key assembly. Not the starter solenoid within the starter itself. Thus I would be more likely to suspect your ignition switch assembly.
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I haven't looked at our starter, but likely he did NOT bypass the starter-mounted solenoid when he jumped it. (it was nice when you used to be able to do that) So yes to suspecting ignition switch or related. My bad. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I connected the switch to hot from battery and ignition lead on the starter solenoid! So it's probably ignition Right? Is the clicking from the engine area that I'm hearing a relay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved!!! Finally!!!!

I went through all the connections again and there was a loose connection at the starter ingnition wire. The crimp was loose enough to give me a headache all week!
Thanks so much for all of your help!

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
538 Posts
I'm glad you found the problem. I apologize for steering you in the wrong direction...but in the future, if you get a click with no start and the wiring is ok. Check those contacts :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts