Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temperature control adjusting knob has been giving me problems... I understand that it was/is a common issue with the early Ridgelines.

I found a climate control from a newer model for sale with a cosmetic blemish.. Has anyone retrofitted a newer control unit into a 2006 model?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
My temperature control adjusting knob has been giving me problems... I understand that it was/is a common issue with the early Ridgelines.

I found a climate control from a newer model for sale with a cosmetic blemish.. Has anyone retrofitted a newer control unit into a 2006 model?

Thanks.
I'm not sure if any of them will, but you probably need to specify which RL model if you want a meaningful answer. For instance, I don't think an RTL control will work in an RT (directly) even it it's the same year.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my fault... I have an RTL, and the part I'm looking at is a Automatic Climate Control also..

By the outward appearance, both appear similar..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yes, my fault... I have an RTL, and the part I'm looking at is a Automatic Climate Control also..

By the outward appearance, both appear similar..

Any ideas?
Jeez Hwy.... you're playing hard to get. What year is the "newer" one you have found, and what model is it??? This is important.

IF you have found a 2007 or 2008 control from another RTL (you have an '06 RTL, right?), then I believe you are good. You can confirm by looking the parts up on-line at a dealer site to compare part numbers (e.g. bernardiparts.com) or by asking your dealer.
BUT, I don't believe you can use anything newer than 2008.... I am fairly certain they got rid of the dual climate control in 2009, so the controller will be different. Hope this helps. ;)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
No, they had climate control, but the issue I see is that they got rid of the dual button, and shuffled stuff around. Apparently the on/off button is more important. I noticed this when I drove a 2014 while waiting for my Accords service.

2013:

2006:

I would still be interested in seeing if the new control unit would work the old components. Do it OP. Report back! :D

Personally I use the Dual button more. When the girlfriend turns hers up too much I hit that button all the time!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
No, they had climate control, but the issue I see is that they got rid of the dual button, and shuffled stuff around. Apparently the on/off button is more important. I noticed this when I drove a 2014 while waiting for my Accords service.

2013:

2006:

I would still be interested in seeing if the new control unit would work the old components. Do it OP. Report back! :D

Personally I use the Dual button more. When the girlfriend turns hers up too much I hit that button all the time!
Yeah, that's what I meant..... they got rid of the "dual" in the dual climate control. Guess I wasn't too clear.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant..... they got rid of the "dual" in the dual climate control. Guess I wasn't too clear.
Nah you were, I just wanted to fire some pictures in there. Lets call it adding my less-than-two cents.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, my fault, I have the '06 and the new one is '09 and newer.. Exactly the way Jeb's picture illustrate.. I've contacted the seller for a picture of the electrical connector on the rear.. I'll start there... Is that's the same.. I'll ask if the seller they'll allow me to test it.. I'll drive over and make the switch.. I'd image the wiring should be the same, and the differences are made on the internals...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Again, my fault, I have the '06 and the new one is '09 and newer.. Exactly the way Jeb's picture illustrate.. I've contacted the seller for a picture of the electrical connector on the rear.. I'll start there... Is that's the same.. I'll ask if the seller they'll allow me to test it.. I'll drive over and make the switch.. I'd image the wiring should be the same, and the differences are made on the internals...
Keep us posted. If the connector is the same if be very interested if that works. Something tells me the connector might be different...

But id still try! :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, wait a minute.. I did give the particulars.. In the title of the thread..

You had me second guessing myself Dnick :act024:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Weird, my Accord will put it in dual mode if the passenger turns theirs up or down, but for me to leave theirs at the same, I have to press dual before changing mine...surprised the older RLs aren't like that

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
519 Posts
I would search the part number accociated with the wire harness that plugs into the controler, and make sure it's the same harness for an RTL 2006-2009. If it is, that means that each wire in the connector for the HVAC controler still handles the same function, even though the face of the unit is different.

BTW, what were the common issues with the earlier units? Mine does funky things with the temperature, but the dealer can't find a problem. Has to do with inconsistant temperature of the air coming out of the vents. Leaving the temperature knob in one spot, sometimes the air temp is 120 degrees, sometimes only 70 degrees when not on automatic mode.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

I contacted the seller and we check the harnesses... (Via pics) They appear to be the same.. I've just been busy the last weeks.. I'm hoping to meet with him and first try the part before I buy it.. If he agrees of course.

As others have posted, erratic temperatures... But my drivers side controller doesn't change the temperature display.. I can spin the knob left and right, but the display remains the same.. Unless I move the knob up and down... Then the display will change to the current setting..

There is an involved procedure to fix the unit... Apparently, there are bad soldered joints internal to the unit.. I've fixed other electrical components, but if this doesn't work.. I have no heat! I'd like to buy this newer unit, then try to make the repair.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Weird, my Accord will put it in dual mode if the passenger turns theirs up or down, but for me to leave theirs at the same, I have to press dual before changing mine...surprised the older RLs aren't like that
Old Ridges (the ones with dual climate control: RTL+?) work the same as you describe for your Accord.... if my wife changes temp with pass knob it goes to dual mode (and "dual" button lights up), changing her side only. She does NOT have to hit the dual button to do this.... she just has to turn the temp knob.
If we are not already in dual mode, changing from the driver's side changes both together. In order for driver to enter dual mode, the "dual" button must be depressed. And of course to exit dual mode, somebody has to hit the "dual" button again (and then the "dual" button light goes out).
Note that this means the passenger cannot change temp for both sides synchronized together ("Not" in dual mode), unless he/she reaches over to use driver's side dial.
.... this how it works in "Auto" mode anyway.....that's where we always have it set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts