Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RTL is less than 4 mos old, around 3,500 miles on it. I normally get no more than 15-16mpg. I drive mostly around our rural town, lots of getting on and off of big highways between towns in the area, but these are short highway stints. I expected at least 17-19mpg. I'm pretty easy on the pedal.

Per advice here, I'm gonna try to keep an eye on the shift at 48mph to lower my rpms when I can. I use regular gas 87 octane. Keep tires at 35psi. Make the kids lie down in the bed to reduce drag (just kidding).

This still beats my 5.7L 1999 Suburban, but not by much. The extra 2.2L put me at about 13mpg, but the Sub was like driving a brick wall. I love my RTL, but I'm surprised at the mileage (even tho I read the sticker!).

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
OK...Nick...first of all, welcome to the ROC. Second of all, use the search function to do a search on fuel economy and you will find about 150 threads on this subject. You will find plenty of hints and tips on how to save gas/increase mileage. No need to start another thread on this.

You have to realize a few things. First, the RL is not a gas sipper. Most folks are getting what the sticker said they would. Second, your vehicle is not even broke in yet. Mileage will get better as it gets broken in. Third, not sure where you are driving your vehicle, but if you are in northern climes, you are running on that winter gas crap, and you can expect a %10 decline on your MPG with that sh!t. Fourth, look for gas stations that do not put ethanol in their gas. You will get better mileage with %100 gas. Finally, you are getting what the sticker advertised.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 08 RTL purchased this January, new. Currently I have 1298 miles on the ODO and average 14.5 MPG. I use mymileagemarker.com to track my fill-ups and miles driven etc. so the results should be fairly accurate. Like the previous poster 95 percent of my miles so far have been 6 mile trips to the office and local runs, all low speed stuff. The one highway trip I made, about 100 mile round trip, pulled my MPG up to 16.2 for a 8 gallon fill-up. I live in Wisconsin and am unsure if we use winter blends here, but everything except super ( 93 octane ) is 10 percent ethanol. I'm confident what is holding my mileage down is the very cold temps not allowing a proper warm-up combined with the short trips.

·
Registered
888 Posts
That is what I am getting with 90% in town driving. I use the AVG MPG display on the dash. I only have 1600 miles on mine. I don't expect mpg to improve until summer gas returns and I hit at least 5000 miles. 10,000 miles seems to be the optimum break in mileage. I'm actually getting about the same in town mileage as my '07 was getting. Highway mileage in the '09 is better, even now, than the '07. I think it's the gear changes Honda made. It doesn't downshift as much on hills.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got an 09 in december and i'm pleasantly surprised with the mileage - i've only got 3500KM on it (2180miles) and i'm averaging about;

Fuel Economy
13.75 litres per 100 km
17.11 miles per US gallon
20.54 miles per Imperial gallon

and this has been pretty consistant - considering its cold here, the engines not even close to breakin and winter grade gas - hey i'd say - not too bad - its already considerably better than my 2001 Ford Explorer

A point to note - i find that my fuel consumption calculator - thats built in is consistantly off by about 2 litres per hundred km's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't griping about my mileage. I didn't buy the RTL for its mpg. I was just interested in reactions of other 09 RTL owners. Sorry for posting on the wrong thread -- I looked at several other discussions but it was the best I could find. So I'll move over. Thanks for the tip.

In the meantime, just since yesterday I've been watching my Ridge shift... and keeping an eye on that makes a difference. The realtime mpg indicator does a lot to influence my driving style. When I'm not in a hurry I play the mpg game... how many more 10ths can I goose it up to? Every vehicle oughta have one of these. Would probably help decrease the national debt. Feedback works.

As for ethanol, here in NJ there's no pump without it. Nice to hear that once my truck breaks in, mpg will go up because I'm sure that before then $pg will go up, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts