Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many months of testing every truck that I could get my hands on, I ended up pulling the trigger on a '14 Touring.

Overview: I really like the 'tough' look that the full size truck brands offered, but for my personal taste, they were all too big. A reg cab had no room, a quad cab was just not enough compared to my Ridge and a crew cab was just plain huge. None offered the handling and ride of the RL, and they could only match the fuel econ at best. The acceleration/towing/payload I need is easily covered by the RL. IF the full size could beat it, it didn't matter because I don't need it. The fit and finish of the RL is also better IMHO. RL = 1, Full size = 0

I tried the Frontier, Tacoma and both GM twins. These are all good trucks, but they don't hold a candle to the everyday driveability of the RL. I liked the GM the least... the trans was too fussy, the exhaust note blah, the interior space unacceptable for my needs. The Taco seating!?? Really? The Frontier was actually pretty nice... for a truck.

Having owned an RL for almost 5 years has really opened my eyes to what "I" need.. a comfy commuter, reasonably efficient, no nonsense multipurpose vehicle. An Accord with a bed to me, with more than enough off road capability for my hobbies - dirt bikes, camping, fishing. On my 3rd house reno, my 09 has worked as hard or harder than any truck I've ever owned, and much harder than any truck my friends have. They are all impressed with what my RL has accomplished in the time I've had it.

So along comes the 2nd gen RL.
I was really excited for this update! When I finally got to spend some time in one, it was exactly as I imagined: quieter, better fuel econ, more power, an updated and upscale interior!
But it fell short in a few important places - lower ground clearance, smaller rear door opening, the cabin feel 'tighter' (likely due to center console)... at my price point, the sport is only avail in silver, black or white... my heart had been set on a red truck for quite some time.
I really disliked the console shifter position. The new RL felt more carlike than ever. While the Gen 1 will never be considered a "truck", if sure feels more truck like. I found that I really like the uniqueness of the G1, the body lines, the interior space.

For all you G2 owners, you have yourself an amazing vehicle.
But for me, I think the G1 really fits the bill and when it came time to spend my $$$, I knew there was only 1 truck left in the market that would satisfy me.

Yesterday, I picked up my new to me '14 G1 RL Touring in DCP.
46000km/28000 miles on her. Absolutely in perfect condition, no accessories or mods, clean carfax, all original and airbag replaced.

I couldn't be happier!
The truck still feel 'stiff' new, including all the buttons/switches.

My '09 is going to auction, may well end up in the USA. It's pretty unique and was a great truck. All services done, but still needs some TLC to bring it up to snuff.

I've kept my Enkei wheels for my new whip, but not sure how it'll look/fit without the suspension lift. Mods to this truck are still being worked out in my head.
Like a new toy, I can hardly wait to drive it again and look forward to my next road trip.
I've attached a couple pics of my '09 hard at work :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Good luck with your new ride. What changes do you see in it compared to your '09?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just curious of what you paid?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Congrats on your '14 RL.

I too was really stoked about the G2 Ridgeline, but the front-end styling knob-less stereo were enough to keep me from pulling the trigger when they first arrived. Now that I've had time to recover from 'new car fever', I'm leaning more and more toward holding onto my G1 till the wheels fall off.

Reactions: oarnold

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck with your new ride. What changes do you see in it compared to your '09?
My 09 was a VP trim... so I upgraded to leather, navi, HandFree, heated seats, better radio, steering wheel controls, power seats and finally a color!!
My biggest peeve with Honda.. you can't get colors unless you buy the higher trims. At least the domestics do that right and there are some great colors to be had.

So far, fuel econ/handling/etc all seem identical with the exception that everything just feels brand new like the clicking of the signal and wiper switches.

Looking forward to trying on my Toyo tires/Enkei rims to see what it does for the look!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious of what you paid?
$29k CAD - so, like $5.99 USD >:)

$22500 difference, all in.
They gave me $10k for the 09.
A little low for me, but after you factor in the deduction in tax $$, I really couldn't have gotten much more privately and would have had to do a lot more to move it (safety, etest, clean it - it was filthy!!!)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on your '14 RL.

I too was really stoked about the G2 Ridgeline, but the front-end styling knob-less stereo were enough to keep me from pulling the trigger when they first arrived. Now that I've had time to recover from 'new car fever', I'm leaning more and more toward holding onto my G1 till the wheels fall off.
Agreed...
and now that I've had experience with the Gen 1, I know some of the soft spots and will look to insure my '14 will last a decade or more.

Ex - corrosion at the fuel door, rear quarters and cab corners = will remove the box sides this spring and head over to Krown and have these areas coated 'thick'.
Same with the rear subframe and frame rails - in Ontario, the government is doing their best to find the most obnoxious, cancer (rust) causing salt abrasives that they can put on the road in the name of 'safety'.

Transmission will get the 'flush' treatment every 3 or 4th oil change. For 3L of oil, it's damn good insurance. Wheel alignment yearly to keep all the hardware from seizing.
Really, there's not much to go wrong with these. The '09 had almost 220000km (almost 140K) and had no breakdowns at all.
Brakes serviced every year, maintenance as per the minder.
I put 110000km on her - in that time, it cost me an a/c compressor and condenser, 1 cv joint and a battery (+ t/belt, etc....)

Reactions: coolbob

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hello fellow Canuck,

First of all congratulations for your 2014 Ridgeline, that is a great pick up!

As I am actually wondering if I'm not getting a G1 instead or the G2 I would like to ask you how are the differences regarding the handling (lateral stability, sure "footedness"), acceleration and breaking between the two models. Is it night and day or it's only slightly better with the G2?

I would like also to ask you, based on your experience with your previous Ridgeline, do you think that the Ridgeline is a great towing vehicle to tow on a regular basis, let's say 10 days per month and mostly on the highway, a closed cargo trailer waiting about 2500 pounds and having the dimension of 6 1/2 foot wide by 12 foot long (The height is 6 feet and a half and it has a V nose)?

Winter driving: when not towing the trailer I will still use the Ridgeline as my regular vehicle to go and see customers throughout Eastern North America. So how does it feel on the highway, in harsch conditions ( pouring rain, snowstorms, etc...), when compared to a medium/full size sedan?

Thank you for your answers!

Alex from Montreal

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Alex!

IMHO, the G2 is the better handling vehicle.
That said, the G1 is the best handling truck, while the G2 takes a page from the SUV class and improves on the G1. The better tires, longer wheelbase, lower center of gravity and Amplitude Reactive Dampers + all the driving assists on the G2 can't be argued with.

Do I think the RL is a 'great' tow vehicle? That would be a stretch.
It's excellent at towing smaller loads on good roads. The independant suspension and trailer assist are hands down best towing tools of ANY truck.

Would I tow an enclosed trailer 10 days per month?
Nope. The lack of low end torque would drive me nuts.The engine would rev too much, and that's a lot of towing. 2 days a month, OK.

The RL will do it, but your fuel economy is going to "suck". And as much as I'd like to be optimistic, 2500lbs in a 6x12 enclosed? You must be talking about a snowmobile trailer... that's the only loaded trailer that size that will fit that weight description. Again, the RL will do it, but I'd still prefer a small diesel or V8 if I were towing that often.

Winter driving: I have driven a lot of cars in my time... and absolutely nothing compares to my RL in winter driving conditions. The security of AWD, good weight distribution, enough ground clearance and excellent power make is perfect for ON ROAD snow storms, and simply awesome with snow tires.
Off Road is not the same... but with the lift kit and good tires, it's very good. Stock, not so much. Ask me how I know >:)

Good luck with your search Alex!

Reactions: Kootbiker1

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer for the airbag recall/ update and I sat in a 2017 Ridgeline. I was not impressed with the interior, where did the center armrest and nice open space between the front seats go? Looked at five different ones outside and happily I can say I wouldn't trade my 09 for anyone of them.:smile:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hi Alex!

IMHO, the G2 is the better handling vehicle.
That said, the G1 is the best handling truck, while the G2 takes a page from the SUV class and improves on the G1. The better tires, longer wheelbase, lower center of gravity and Amplitude Reactive Dampers + all the driving assists on the G2 can't be argued with.

Do I think the RL is a 'great' tow vehicle? That would be a stretch.
It's excellent at towing smaller loads on good roads. The independant suspension and trailer assist are hands down best towing tools of ANY truck.

Would I tow an enclosed trailer 10 days per month?
Nope. The lack of low end torque would drive me nuts.The engine would rev too much, and that's a lot of towing. 2 days a month, OK.

The RL will do it, but your fuel economy is going to "suck". And as much as I'd like to be optimistic, 2500lbs in a 6x12 enclosed? You must be talking about a snowmobile trailer... that's the only loaded trailer that size that will fit that weight description. Again, the RL will do it, but I'd still prefer a small diesel or V8 if I were towing that often.

Winter driving: I have driven a lot of cars in my time... and absolutely nothing compares to my RL in winter driving conditions. The security of AWD, good weight distribution, enough ground clearance and excellent power make is perfect for ON ROAD snow storms, and simply awesome with snow tires.
Off Road is not the same... but with the lift kit and good tires, it's very good. Stock, not so much. Ask me how I know >:)

Good luck with your search Alex!
Thank you very much for your answers!

I do realize that I was not specific enough regarding the total weight of the trailer: The total is really 2500 pounds maximum where the trailer itself, which is totally made of aluminum, has a weight of 1400 pounds. That trailer serves me as a mobile showroom having a maximum of 1000 pounds inside the trailer.

That being said now are you, or do you see, the Ridgeline becoming my regular rig to pull that trailer on a regular basis?

Also what kind of tires do you prefer to have during in wintertime on your Ridgeline ?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That being said now are you, or do you see, the Ridgeline becoming my regular rig to pull that trailer on a regular basis?

Also what kind of tires do you prefer to have during in wintertime on your Ridgeline ?

Thanks again!
I towed an enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds, 3 hours on the highway to a favourite spot. I averaged around 18L/100km. The truck handled it very easily, but I felt the economy was not so good.
Now, my friends tell me most 1/2 ton trucks would be right around the same. If this is true, then the RL will be fine for your application.

I can tell you that for towing safely, the RL is #1 as long as you respect the weight limits.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I towed an enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds, 3 hours on the highway to a favourite spot. I averaged around 18L/100km. The truck handled it very easily, but I felt the economy was not so good.
Now, my friends tell me most 1/2 ton trucks would be right around the same. If this is true, then the RL will be fine for your application.

I can tell you that for towing safely, the RL is #1 as long as you respect the weight limits.
Thank you again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts