Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the way home from work this evening the emergency alert on the radio went off announcing a tornado warning for my area. When they announced that a tornado had touched down on Ft. Stewart and mentioned its direction of travel, which was towards my house and my wife was there alone, I decided to travel the last 3 miles as fast as I could.
The truck climbed to 105 pretty quickly. It was on a nice straight stretch of rural two lane road. The truck seemed to "float" but handled really well. I had my window down and the rear window halfway open and I could smell the heat of exhaust.
I've only had it to 85 before but I think she liked be opened up.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ive had mine close to 100, 80 almost daily and it drives perfect like if you were going 40 and not like all other trucks which at 60 they feel like they are going to roll over and bounce too much.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,407 Posts
I was up in the 100mph + club, made a 2hr 45min trip in right about 1hr 45min. I'm certain I had some segments in the 110 or maybe a little more. I was pacing off a an Mercedes AMG 600. My RL was maybe about 1 year old.

For the longest time I had the receipt from the Gas Station @ 11am, I was thru the parking gate by 12:45pm, parking ticket in hand, I had to pick up someone Arriving at McCarran International Airport @ 12:30pm. There is a picture somewhere of both together, on a PC or Portable HD. Thinking back, not the overall smartest thing I've ever done.:nerd:

VV Costco Gas Station to McCarran Airport (LAS)

I will say that although not "sport's car comfortable" it was respectable at that speed, far better than my 1997 Honda Civic, I'd bail out at about 90

·
Administrator
17,304 Posts
Before this thread gets locked or deleted, I'll say that I've found 105 MPH pretty undramatic in the Ridgeline. However, I started to chicken out at 130 MPH in my G35 when it became difficult to count the number of utility poles that I passed.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,614 Posts
I have a place in far SE Oregon where I run my Ridge over 100 on a fairly regular basis. For those of you interested, it's not far from where the Bundy group was "holed" up in the national refuge. I've tried 100 on cruise control and it works wonderfully.

On rare occasions, you might see another car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The need for speed. Oh, the age old old dilemma that pops up from time to time.

Why. For some, it is the thrill and for others it get us there faster. How many of our triple digit members are trained to drive at these upper speeds?

All is well until something goes wrong. I know, I know, what could possibly go wrong? How about the piece of road trash or the deer entering from the side of the road. All these can cause the driver to react in avoidance mode, most likely resulting in over steering. At triple digit speed over correcting will likely have a disastrous outcome.

Unfortunately, I have assisted in way too many fatalities from single and multiple vehicle collisions that were caused by excessive speed and human error. It is not by any means a pretty picture. Notifying the parent or spouse is whole different story.

So the next time the speedometer starts to climb in the excessive area, just ask yourself if you are feeling lucky today.

I would do an opinion poll on this, but my guess is some of the pollers are probably no longer with us.

Death has enough ways to find us. Do we really need to help it along.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I promise death will find everyone here as well. I have legally driven the RL in excess of 100mph, but mine wasn't loving it. It doesn't have much more power to go much faster than that. As far as stability, I feel the steering is far too vague for high speed driving. I was not in a hurry, and didn't enjoy watching the fuel gauge drop, so I slowed to about 90 for cruising on das autobahn. I was subsequently passed by many wagons with much less power, getting much better mileage, that were far better suited to driving quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I've topped 100 in various cars many, many times, but not sure I've had the RL to 100 yet.

The longest, sustained 'Autobahn' driving I've ever done as was back when I owned a 1990 Accord EX sedan. I got a call from my aunt around 11pm one night that my dad had been involved in a gunshot incident and was undergoing emergency surgery 320-miles away. This trip normally takes 6-1/2 hours during the day. I threw some clothes in a suitcase and jumped in the Accord and set the cruise control at 95 and left it there the whole trip, including when I cut through the state capitol. I figured if I got pulled over I'd tell the officer why I was speeding and ask that he either let me off with a warning or write the ticket as fast as possible. It was pitch black, with just enough oncoming traffic to make highbeams useless, so I was on the edge of my seat, watching the edge of the headlights illumination intently for deer. I came up on a trooper pulled over on the shoulder of the road so fast I didn't have time to slow down or change lanes so I blew ready to pull over as soon as he hit the lights, I know I rocked his car as I blew past, but he didn't pursue. I made the trip it in just under 4-hours and did not get pulled over. Thankfully dad came out of surgery with a few scars and a great story.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I've been well over 100 more than I want to admit but not in the Ridgeline.

It feels like it would do ok on the interstates and better than most trucks in a turn but I'm not going to be my life on it.

I have a 20+ mile all freeway commute and it cruises at 80 like a dream.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I've hit 90 in the RL out in the empty So Cal desert. She was a glider at that speed. Felt very secure and confident clipping along on smooth asphalt.

Not to highjack a RL thread, but... the last long road trip in the 1974 GMC TZE motorhome was a 2012 trip to see family in Wisconsin. Up around the Bad lands in South Dakota, there were no cars, I mean ZERO on the nicely maintained roads. I put the hammer down and buried the speedo. Since top end is 85, I'd hafta guess at 95. Not bad for a 455 Olds and TH425 tranny circa 1966 pulling 12KLBS. I didn't have the nads to take a hand off the wheel to hit GPS for speed confirmation, but the little camera was around my neck. So just hadta get a photo.

TugAtCruiseSpeed2.jpg

When she pulled off at the bad lands, I think I heard her say thanks. Probably for arriving in one piece. BTW: the wife was asleep in the back when this was happening. Smooth. Just glad there were no cross winds.

CIMG0926.JPG

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
If you cleaned up the aerodynamics (no awning, roof rack, ladder + bike) it'd probably go faster. ;)

Actually, at those speeds, I'd start to worry about tire limits.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
If you cleaned up the aerodynamics (no awning, roof rack, ladder + bike) it'd probably go faster. ;)

Actually, at those speeds, I'd start to worry about tire limits.

Chip H.
Z rated E load tires are hard to find! Stripping off the awning would absolutely ruin the annual trek to Thunder on the Bay. We camp on Fiesta Island about 500 yards from the start finish line. When unlimited hydros go by, they are full clip - 200MPH - rooster tail spray cooling spectators 75 ft from the outside lane.

Great views - in more ways than one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,407 Posts
No, Six, that Olds 455 was saying, "Thanks, I finally cleared my throat".

Reactions: OhSix

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
I had the speed bug when I was younger. Had a few vehicles up well past 100 on more than one occasion. Fastest I've ever gone to date was 129mph in my Grand Am GT. It bounced off the governer and didn't let me go any faster. This was on a very straight stretch of highway at 3am. SO DUMB!!!

I've never had the need to have my RL up into the triple digits. I think the quickest I've ever gone was 90mph just to keep up with highway traffic. It felt solid and steady, but I'm sure it was drinking gulps of fuel just to keep moving at that speed. I'm usually not one to go any faster than about 75 anyways. I'm not in much of a hurry to get anywhere these days. I can't promise that won't change when I put a Chevy SS in my garage in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Did about 102 this weekend on the way to a camping trip in the desert. Was surprised how quick it climbed from 70. But only hit about 102 until the g/f started screaming at me lol

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,601 Posts
When I had my 2010 RL, got a phone call from the monitoring company saying my burglar alarm went off in my basement. They called the cops and I was about 8 miles of highway from home. Gave it all it had and toped 115mph then it cut off. Would not go any faster. The RL handled it well. Got there before the cops. Was a false alarm.

Since I've had my 2014, think the fastest I've gone was 90.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My brain:
25+ MPH over the speed limit = reckless driving.
If a cop happened to pop me with radar or lazer at that speed, its probably a court date, I might get my license suspended.
The effect on my insurance rates wouldn't be pretty and would last for about 5 years.
Total cost of ticket would be very high.

If involved in an accident at that speed, it could be determined that speed equates to fault even if the other party was at fault.

My aged brain gives me a negative on going more than about 9 MPH over the speed limit.
Extreme circumstances that outweigh the possible consequences may result in a different conclusion.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,614 Posts
I'm with you and I usually drive at no more than 5 mph over the posted limit.
But........what if you had over 20 miles of good two lane highway and no cars. NONE. This highway has no curves to speak of and you have 20 miles plus of visibility. Weather conditions are clear skies and above freezing. No trees, just sagebrush. No varmints at least nothing bigger than a jack rabbit.

This area is where I check out my cruise control at over 100 mph.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts