Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read through most of the threads here to try and figure out what's going on with my 2011 Ridgeline RT. I live in Boston and drive about 6 miles a day to my job through the city. Stop and go, all the way. I consistently get about 11 mpg, then on the highway (driving 60 MPH for ~150 miles on a flat straight run) I get about 21 mpg...tops.

Some of you suggest that, with these numbers, "something" is wrong. Since it's still under warranty I'm going to take it in but I'd love to have some suggestions from you all (so if the shop folks are lazy I have something to point them towards). Any ideas? FYI, I don't carry around anything but me, and the truck has a solid tonneau cover. I'm not a leadfoot, just an average driver.

thanks all!
PG

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
6 miles is a short distance trip. If traffic is slow /stop and go then clearly mileage will suffer. If traffic is relatively quick, your engine won't really reach its optimum operating temp in that short distance. Your mileage is probably going to be poor either way. Cold weather is setting in and the switch over to winter formula gas may be happening in your area. Both of these things will hurt fuel mileage. Tire pressures drop as the air gets colder too; check for this even if your TPMS sensors don't show anything.

My guess is that your Ridge is operating normally. Short trips will kill gas mileage particularly in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Nope that's about right. I get 11-12 in the city when I leave work and about 19 through the burbs to home. Average about 17-17.4 according to

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That sounds like what I've read as well. Somebody charted the numbers & posted them recently for mileage experienced, listed by miles driven from stop. It was interesting, and really showed what you are experiencing. The farther you go, the better it gets.... both from the initial start up being cold, and from the starts & stops of in-town driving.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Seems about right to me given the circumstances.

Some day on an early Sunday morning you might try the same run with the reduced traffic and see how it impacts your fuel use. I have noticed that city traffic causes an almost imperceptible shift in my driving habits that is based on "keeping up with the traffic flow" which also requires a significantly heavier foot.

·
Administrator
16,019 Posts
For years, my commute to work was 3.6 miles one way. The maximum speed for most of the trip was 50-55 MPH once I drove a few blocks to get out of my neighborhood. There were 4-5 stops and one highway merge. I averaged 16-17 MPG during this drive cycle. However, if traffic is literally stop-and-go at every block, I'd expect 11 MPG or less.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Boston traffic is horrendous. I live in Westborough (west of Boston) and have to commute through the city a lot, to the cape a lot, etc. My highway/city ratio is approximately 75% highway and my commute is around 40 miles each way per day (varies because my job is in property management so I'm all over the place). But regardless, im always over 20 mpg on every fill-up. I'd assume those short drives are killing your mpg. But 11 seems extremely low to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts