Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be right? I just checked my oil life and it said I had 80% and my mileage is 1130 miles (I've had the Ridge almost two months). Most of my driving is a lot of short trips on country roads with very little expressway driving. It has been hot here in Texas and I doubt I've driven this thing when the temp has been under 90 degrees.

I know HAL takes into account many factors and driving habits and I'm wondering what others showed for mileage at the 80% mark?

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
shortspark said:
Can this be right? I just checked my oil life and it said I had 80% and my mileage is 1130 miles (I've had the Ridge almost two months). Most of my driving is a lot of short trips on country roads with very little expressway driving. It has been hot here in Texas and I doubt I've driven this thing when the temp has been under 90 degrees.

I know HAL takes into account many factors and driving habits and I'm wondering what others showed for mileage at the 80% mark?
If it is saying you have 80% oil life left then you're on track for an oil change at 5600 miles. Not a bad number, and would prove that HAL makes aggressive adjustments for short, hot trips.

Looks like everything is fine!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Joe. I just got back from the oil geek forum (bobistheoilguy.com) and read a very interesting thread about GM's oil life monitor (OLM). It is similar to HAL and, for all I know, may be the same software and all. The GM OLM has been around for many years and has proven itself to be a very good indicator as to when to change oil. I would expect Honda's system, if indeed it is not the same, to be just as accurate as they both measure driving habits and are not just mileage/time counters or idiot lights. As you know, these OLMs predict oil breakdown based on a number of different things.

The thread over there had many posts by a GM engineer who explained quite well how an OLM really works, the testing it went through and why it is such a good and accurate method for measuring oil change intervals. No one said such a system is perfect but I am becoming more and more convinced to trust it rather than some arbitrary "3 months/3,000 mile" sticker the service departments put on the windshield.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Hubby and I had a discussion about oil change time earlier today. We are almost at the 3000 mile mark and that will be closer to 4000 by the end of the month. Later in the summer we are going for a three week driving tour in Canada. We are thinking it would be a good thing to do the oil change before that trip without much regard to what HAL says. Do you agree?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does HAL say you have left? If it says 20% or so go ahead and change it - won't hurt. It won't hurt a thing either if you just ignore HAL and change at 4000 miles before your trip.

I have learned that the Honda factory oil is probably ExxonMobil 5W20, just like you buy on the shelf. That was the opinion of one of the oil geeks at the forum I spoke of earlier. There may be more "moly" type protective additives put in at the factory but the factory oil is not some "super-duper" blend in and of itself. The oil life monitor is a very good system but for the first oil change especially, I do not really see a problem with just using the 4000 mile mark. If nothing else, you can drive to your heart's content and not worry about having to change oil on the road during your vacation.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Thanks, that's the same line of reasoning we settled on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
4,751 and 30% left

Just returned from a 2,400 mile trip, drove like a bat out of hell in 100 degree heat and the truck performed FLAWLESSLY, ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY.

NOTE: BE FOREWARNED - YOU DRIVE VERY, VERY FAST AND YOUR GAS MILEAGE IS VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY B-A-D :p

But it runs like there is no tomorrow and never burped once :D

I don't really care what Honda says - I have ALWAYS changed my oil between 3,000-4,000 miles and have NEVER gone over 4,000 and I don't plan on doing it now.

As soon as I can the oil will be changed NOW and every 3-4,000 miles. Castrol GTX until 100,000 and then Mobile 1. Have done this with about 7-8 cars, have never blown an engine and my oil is always nice and c-l-e-a-n and my engines have always gone over 100,000 and usually around a hundred and a half. I supose I'll hear some comments but to each their own :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did NOT mean to imply that's all I get out of an engine :(

I just sell them then and the next owner never has problems either :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ridgeman - yep, you will get all kinds of opinions and usually oil change intervals (OCI) are based on only one factor - experience. I am 56 years old and ever since I have owned cars I changed oil/filter just like you, every 3000-5000 miles. I have never had an engine related problem although I must admit I do not put many miles on my vehicles before I trade them. Nor have I ever worried about the kind of oil I used or the filter (my only filter criteria was that it fit). I'll bet if I applied that same kind of thinking to the Ridgeline it would still outlast me!

However, new technologies in oils, filters and the cars themselves have made me wonder if there might not be a better, more efficient and possibly less costly way of doing things. The advent of oil life monitors seems to be a break-through in this area as does synthetic oils, blends and new filtering systems. All these kinds of things might make things more efficient but I doubt they will be any better for your engine than doing it the way we always have - with a good dino oil and filter every 3,000-5,000 miles.

My point in starting this thread was to determine what folks are showing in mileage at certain points of HAL's oil life monitor. As you may recall, Nicholas went by the OLM and then had his oil analyzed. The results came back as one would expect for his first oil change so HAL was pretty much on target. If that trend continues I may be more comfortable with the system telling me when to change oil and leave it at that.

The GM engineer I spoke of earlier who posted at the oil geeks forum and worked on the GM oil life monitor system made some great points about how their system works (I assume it is similar to Honda's system). He talked about how important it is to take into consideration driving habits and other factors that effect oil stability in the specific engine being monitored. None of these factors are considered in the 3,000-5,000 mile or six month intervals we have always relied on in the past.

Yet, like you and me, there is a mentality that comes with experience that says if it ain't broken don't fix it, regardless the advance in technologies and information. That mentality is hard to break, especially when it still works.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If this is your first oil change, my understanding is you want to leave that oil in as long as possible (until OLM tells you to change it) This high moly oil helps condition your rings. After that you can change it every 2 weeks if you want, but I would at least follow the break in period as recommended by Honda. I've got 4,000 miles and OLM says 40 percent.

·
Registered
460 Posts
jkaletski said:
4000 miles and my readout says oil life=50%.
We don't plan to wait until 8,000 miles. We will always change at around 5,000.
for what its worth i will echo what Ridge posted. leave that factory oil in until atleast 5-15 percent..............6,800 miles at 15% here. i will change in the next 500 miles probably.

·
Registered
578 Posts
In my own experience, 3000 miles is a waste of money on modern cars. This conclusion is made from doing repeated used oil test via Blackstone labs. On our 1998 Maxima, if I run mobil 1 synthetic, I'll let it be used 10,000 miles before change. On my 10,000 used oil sample, the lab reported nothing wrong with the oil. I could go more, but 10k is a nice round number and I don't feel comfortable going more than that. When I use Castro GTX I try to keep it around 5,000 miles

Even my wife's RSX manual does not call for 3000 mile changes on severe service life. If I recall correctly, it's 5k.

But, if 3k is what you are comfortable with, by all means do that. Just know that that isn't an absolute truth anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts