Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my sister totaled my old 98' Maxima in a crash today. She is fine but the Maxima can R.I.P.(97 - 4/28/09).

Because of this I have removed my sound system from that car and luckily the speaker sizes are the same as the RL. (minus the subs). I have Kenwood components 6.5" with 1"tweeters / alpine type S 6.5" / alpine head unit / JL 6600 amp / 2 JL 12w1v2.
Heres the box I made for that setup. It worked great cause it did not cover the through slot to the main cabin and I could still fit 2 sets of Golf Clubs in the trunk no problem.

I have not taken any measurements of the RL's under seat area to get all my clearance/angles correct. I know the seat support bars are in the way for the passenger side. So I borrowed the Kicker box for the RL's dimensions of 49" Width, 8 1/2" Height, 11 1/2" Depth. With that and the dimensions of my JL drivers I made this rough sketch of how I plan on fitting 2 12" subs where most people go 10".

I am set on a sealed box because JL manual says I would need .5 more cubic feet per sub. The box as it stands right now is 2.599 cubic feet with the displacement of the drivers but not with the thickness of the wood calculated in. Each sub needs 1.25 so I am at least in the ball park as far as a sealed box is concerned.

Anyone seen/done 12"subs under the seat? Feedback GO.....

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Every 12" box I've seen has the driver facing up into the seat, and the driver hits the plastic with the seat down. However, they were using w6 drivers and you are using w1. You have at least a half inch more to play with. I think your design is overly complicated and the protrusions will hit the seat legs. That's going to be a problem. With w1's you should be able to make a plain old upfiring box that will fit with no protrusions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I hope that I can simply have them firing straight up without the goofy angles so I don't have to make 30 cuts on the table saw/jigsaw. I can't wait for daylight to start measuring what space i have to work with. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok now that I have actual measurements this is what will fit. its 50" long and 8.5" deep 13" on top and 8.5" on the floor. 2.38 cubic feet with wood thickness and driver displacement.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
That should work....

BTW - what software did you do those drawings with?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That should work....

BTW - what software did you do those drawings with?
I use Rhino 3d mostly cause of its versatility as far as input/output file compatibility. http://www.rhino3d.com/ download the evaluation software and check it out. Its the same as the commercial license except you only get 25 saves and copy paste feature is disabled for some unknown reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts