Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned over 130,000 on my '06 Ridge back in January. Since then my normally dependable truck has had a series of problems, starting with a bad CV joint, then a failed motor mount, and finally yesterday the door pull cable on the driver's side broke, forcing me to have to open my window to open the door from the outside (at least until Amazon delivers my replacement cable in a few days). Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving this truck and it really has been rock solid for me since I bought it with 45,000 miles on it back in 2010, but it's interesting to me that all of a sudden I'm having something break every few weeks. Hopefully it settles down and gets back to being reliable for a few more years. I'd like to get 2-3 more years out of it before replacing it with a used 2017 or 2018 Colorado. Anyone else reach a certain mileage where parts started wearing out on them?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,393 Posts
I have replaced my driver's door latch cable and my CV joints on my 06. It now has about 130k on it but I did the CVs at around 110k and the door latch cable broke at around 75k. I can't complain too much about the CVs as I have used my truck hard with heavy loads and LOTS of city driving. The door pull cable is less forgivable, particularly on a Honda. Haven't had to do the motor mount yet. I do all the work myself so the costs haven't been very much. Fundamentally the truck seems sound. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Everything you have mentioned is natural on almost every vehicle and not out of the ordinary. I dont see a problem with a cable breaking after 11 ish yrs of being yanked on...my passenger broke but it wasnt the cable it was the green piece that attaches it to the door handle. $6 and a few door panel clips later its back in business! But usually when things go wrong it comes in pairs. I still find it odd I have the original CV'S and have only replaced boots after 190k...and im lifted and beat on it at the desert....maybe im lucky.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything you have mentioned is natural on almost every vehicle and not out of the ordinary. I dont see a problem with a cable breaking after 11 ish yrs of being yanked on...my passenger broke but it wasnt the cable it was the green piece that attaches it to the door handle. $6 and a few door panel clips later its back in business! But usually when things go wrong it comes in pairs. I still find it odd I have the original CV'S and have only replaced boots after 190k...and im lifted and beat on it at the desert....maybe im lucky.
Yeah I agree that these are all regular wear and tear items, it's just surprising to me to have 3 of them hit within a few weeks after 7 years of trouble-free driving. Can't complain though because the reality is it made it 130,000 miles without needing a repair. Way better than any vehicle I've ever owned before! I was able to fix the motor mount myself and I will replace the door pull cable too. Had a local 4x4 shop do the CV joint for me, so all in all I'm not out very much money either. I'm not at all worried about it lasting for another 2-3 years when I will be ready to replace it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
About 8 years ago I said I want to keep my '98 Accord for 2 or 3 years more. I still have it today. I did recently pick up a very used 06 RL and other than the gas mileage I much prefer it to the Accord. With 140k on the RL, I've got my choice of things to do with it. Just ordered a timing belt replacement kit today after giving her fresh tranny fluids all around. Nice having 2 vehicles so I can work on one while I drive the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts