Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 11, 1856, an historic marker was set on the Kansas Nebraska border that established the 6th Principal Meridian. This true line of longitude from a point on the KS/NE border (the 40th Parallel) is the beginning of all land descriptions in KS, Ne, CO, WY and part of SD. This spot is near the town of Mahaska, KS. A big celebration is planned on June 10, 2006, honoring the 150th anniversary of this important event. GeoCachers will gather at N40°00'07" and W096°22'09"! There will be historical re-enactments, lunch, old fashioned chaining crews, commeratative pins and weights, Pony Express and a presentation after lunch in Mashaka about the history behind this event. The Boy Scouts will be on hand. All citizens are invited to learn about the significance of this event and enjoy the day! The event is sponsored by the Kansas Society of Land Surveyors (KSLS). More information is available at: http://www.ksls.com/ See the map below and for a short historical paper about the 6th PM, read the attach pdf file.
I'll be there. Any interest in a Mini-meet?
Steve Brosemer, Member of the KSLS Board

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
Interesting story. I would love to see pictures of the event.
Does anyone know the familial history behind Ledlie, Manners and Johnson? Do they have ancestors still living?
Thanks for the article Steve.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ladyridge, for your response. Jerry Penry of NE and myself have done considerable research into those three plus General John Calhoun. Johnson settled in the Highland KS area and founded Highland College. His heirs are still in the area. Interestingly, all 4 were originally from Illinois. Manners afterwards surveyed railroads in CO and retired to Taylorville, IL. A park there is named after him. We have been unable to track down direct heirs, although the family name exists in the area. Ledlie returned to his beloved Springfield, IL and was a distinguised citizen. He married too late in life to have children. Calhoun, a friend of Lincoln, died of poisoning in Oct. of 1859 in St. Joesph, MO where he had fled, fearing for his lilfe. This prevented him from testifying at the congressional inquire of 1860 over the LeCompton Convention! His family continued to reside in the Leavenworth KS area. His son served in the Civil War for the Union from start to finish. His heirs are still in the area.
There is a memorial on site that was erected in 1987 by the Surveyors of the 6th PM. My late father was a member. See below. We are sprucing up the site. Also attached is a pic of the manhole lid over the stone marker in the gravel road done in 1987. Commerative lapel pins and paperweights will be available at the event. They will look like the manhole lid.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
With Todd and I both having a real estate background, we found the articles you attached and this additional information you were so kind to provide very interesting and a good read. I sure wish we were closer to Kansas.
I hope your event is an unforgettable memory for you.
Thanks for sharing some our country's very important history.:)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ladyridge,
Thank you again for the kind words and encouragement. It means alot to me coming from the "Queen of the Forum"! :)
Your Liege,
Steve Brosemer, PLS

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The commeration went very well. Hundreds in attendance. Unfortunately, mine was the only Ridge amongst the many of vehicles, mostly trucks. Fortunately, lots of people were absolutely amazed to see one up close and in person (remember I'm from Nowhere, Kansas). My unofficial poll shows that the two things that impresses people the most around here are (drum roll): the trunk and the size of the back seat (either seats up or down).

L

·
0 Posts
Glad it was a good time for you geo..and you got to show off your Ridge too. :p What a day!!
Any pictures???

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure, Ladyridge. The second pic is of a re-enactment of a Chaining Crew with an original 150 year old measuring chain. The horse and wagon are bringing the stone monuments to mark the points. The first pic is Cam Howell (left) of Colorado explaining the marks and tags on the chain to some of the crowd. The fourth photo shows Larry Graham, President of the Kansas Society of Land Surveyors, using an old fashioned Compass to keep the crew "on line." The third photo is of an historical re-enactment by Steve Brosemer of Surveyor General John Calhoun, 1856, known to history as the "Villain of Kansas" at the Mahaska, KS, community building. For some reason I didn't get any pics of my Ridge!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
geotech, LadyRidge, There Ain't nothin like Kansas! Where do you think my handle came from. I grew up in Wichita but have realtives all over the state.
geotech, Thanks for the very interesting article.:)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're welcome, OZNATIVE. I'm sure you bring that honest "Land of Oz" sincerity to MA. Good luck there.
PS I'm a WSU grad (1971).

L

·
0 Posts
OZ..I had a feeling from the start that's where your name came from. :)
I have been to Kansas many times, mostly as a child. The one memory that stands out the most is the flood I was in with my parents/family while camping there back in 1973. It's a good memory. We didn't float away and we got to swim to the bathroom. I was 13. We camped as a family of 9 every summer and that trip was the last one my Father took with us before he died in March of 1974.
I am also quite fond of the movie "The Wizard of Oz" as well as a big fan of Judy Garland.

My Dad would have loved this historic event. Thanks again for sharing it, geo. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
LadyRidge, Risking getting this thread off topic here.:eek: You would not believe the ribbing I have taken over the years about Dorothy and ToTo. Always questions like (ever see a twister) Of course I did I'm from Kansas. Camping and fishing are really great in Kansas. I know what you mean about floods there as well. They come up really fast. My dad lived to a ripe old age of 94 and passed just before 9/11.:(

L

·
0 Posts
Oznative said:
LadyRidge, Risking getting this thread off topic here.:eek: You would not believe the ribbing I have taken over the years about Dorothy and ToTo. Always questions like (ever see a twister) Of course I did I'm from Kansas. Camping and fishing are really great in Kansas. I know what you mean about floods there as well. They come up really fast. My dad lived to a ripe old age of 94 and passed just before 9/11.:(
That's funny. I refer to Ridgeln as the Tinman ( because he has a heart of gold ) and he calls me Dorothy...and look...here's my Toto. She's 15.5 and still going strong ) :D

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts