Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More records to import to a spreadsheet, but available info right now calculates to 16.00045234 over 11,319.2 miles.

All time high 19.32926829 MPG during road trip up California coast, which included heavy stop/go traffic thru Los Angeles on I-5 during rush hour.

All time low 13.75483871 MPG during a work week that required mostly street/back road travel to avoid FWY back ups. This was just prior to last oil change, since then MPG increased to just over 15 with mixed drive routes.

06 RL w/113K on the clock. She's working out to be on par with the 06 Ram Hemi it replaced. The Ram was much "sportier" sounding V8 with a Banks 4" SS cat back exhaust but the RL has MUCH better road manners, is easier to park, quieter and still does everything I need a truck to do.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Lots of stuff you can do with fuelly.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,612 Posts
Mine with 201,000 (going strong) and 175,000 tracked on Fuelly. Average cost per mile for those 175,000 miles, can you guess? Answer= 19.9 cents per mile.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,074 Posts
Mine with 201,000 (going strong) and 175,000 tracked on Fuelly. Average cost per mile for those 175,000 miles, can you guess? Answer= 19.9 cents per mile.
10,355 gallons of gas in 175,000 miles. That's about $35,000 in fuel.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Fuelly takes the work out of it....

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,612 Posts
10,355 gallons of gas in 175,000 miles. That's about $35,000 in fuel.
Hmmm! If I'd have used the money I spent on gasoline, I could have purchased another new Ridgeline. Yes, I notice how much I spend on gasoline each year. Luckily, my company pays for all my gasoline.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Hmmm! If I'd have used the money I spent on gasoline, I could have purchased another new Ridgeline. Yes, I notice how much I spend on gasoline each year. Luckily, my company pays for all my gasoline.
HAHA! Yeah, but you wouldn't have been able to drive anywhere with no gas. It may look like a lot of money all at once, but it is what it is. We drive trucks - not Prius's... Prii... whatever the hell the plural of "Prius" is...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
HAHA! Yeah, but you wouldn't have been able to drive anywhere with no gas. It may look like a lot of money all at once, but it is what it is. We drive trucks - not Prius's... Prii... whatever the hell the plural of "Prius" is...
Prithems :act024:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Prithems :act024:
And people say that the RL is a girly, unmanly vehicle. Every time I see a Prius on the road, I cringe. I greatly apologize to anyone on this site who may own one, but I just honestly can't bring myself to fathom how fuel economy can possibly trump the shame of being seen driving one of those things. A friend of mine owns one. I drove it a few miles down the street to a grocery store and I have never felt more uneasy in a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
And people say that the RL is a girly, unmanly vehicle. Every time I see a Prius on the road, I cringe. I greatly apologize to anyone on this site who may own one, but I just honestly can't bring myself to fathom how fuel economy can possibly trump the shame of being seen driving one of those things. A friend of mine owns one. I drove it a few miles down the street to a grocery store and I have never felt more uneasy in a vehicle.
I know, I've always felt the same about them myself. Many think (or thought) the Mazda Miata was too feminine. I think the earlier ones were more so, but having driven one I can say it is one of the most ergonomic cars on the road.
Everything is designed for easy reach for the driver, and the controls including the shift and clutch and brake travel are optimum.

The Honda S2000 is very close, and certainly has more power, but if you have never driven a Miata I recommend you do. It is really a fun car.

The RX300,400 Lexus has soft lines as well. But seems to have the right specs and always gets good reviews.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Everybody's got their own outlook.... most Prius owners drive them like a badge of honor...... some ideologues, some social-trend conscious, some just green freaks. I suppose there are even those who think they are saving money with it. Different strokes, etc.

Regarding the Miata... I drove one of the gen 1s for a couple of years & can't agree more on the 'fun' factor of driving that peppy little car. I really loved how the tranny just snicked from one gear to the next with not much more than a push of your fingers as your hand set comfortably next to that stubby little shifter. Definitely a treat driving on curvy roads, but as was said, not a power house by any means--- and don't plan on carrying too much in that little trunk. More of a trip-to-the-beach kind of car. The little engine is rock solid though. Great little roadster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My first truck was a 88 dodge ram with a 318 and 3 speed auto and I got the same mpg as the ridgeline. I know I saw the EPA estimates on the sticker but knowing people that have owned Hondas I figured I'd get the same or better. Seeing 12-14 around the city with easily, light throttle makes me sad yet somehow I had a best of 27mpg on a 1.5 hr trip from RI to lower CT??? Saidly this truck falls way short on fuel millage but way up on everything else. Problem is in 2014 nothing except extreme duty vehicles should be getting less than 20-25 mpg but that's a different story. On a side note, my 2000 wrangler with 155k and 35" tires gets around 14-15 mpg in city driving?? Go figure....

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
My first truck was a 88 dodge ram with a 318 and 3 speed auto and I got the same mpg as the ridgeline. I know I saw the EPA estimates on the sticker but knowing people that have owned Hondas I figured I'd get the same or better. Seeing 12-14 around the city with easily, light throttle makes me sad yet somehow I had a best of 27mpg on a 1.5 hr trip from RI to lower CT??? Saidly this truck falls way short on fuel millage but way up on everything else. Problem is in 2014 nothing except extreme duty vehicles should be getting less than 20-25 mpg but that's a different story. On a side note, my 2000 wrangler with 155k and 35" tires gets around 14-15 mpg in city driving?? Go figure....
It's just a product of not only the weight of the vehicle, but the absence of any strong torque lower in the power band. The engine has to work harder from dead stops to get the 4500lbs. moving. Once it's cruising, it sips fuel pretty well due to the fact that it doesn't take much to keep it at a steady highway speed. It is hindered, at that point, by its not-so-wonderful aerodynamics and the friction created by whatever type of tires you have on it. I regularly see 13-14mpg in my style of driving (stop and go, under 35mph, short trips). When I get it out on highway trips, I've seen 23.5mpg with the stock Michelin tires and about 21.5 with the current A/T tires I have on it. Simply put, fuel mileage is a trade-off to have all of the excellent other features and capabilities of the RL.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Anxiously awaiting the Gen II RL to get a look into the real world Fuelly mileage...I know that my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel (replaced my dearly departed 2010 RL) is holding up its end of the mpg bargain:

My beloved 2010 RL "archived" Fuelly summary is below. If the Gen II can get to the 20-21 mpg mark in mixed driving, it'll give me a reason to return...Gas will rarely win the battle vs diesel (especially when towing - get around 19 mpg towing a 5,000 lb boat with the EcoDiesel) but I just need it to be close.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
klossfam, I don't remember what happened to your RL?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Had my foot resting/pushing on the brake, jacket caught on the column shifter as I was stepping out - human error - and knocked her into reverse...The real bad part: I was lake side at the cottage and into Haliburton Lake, ON she went...RLs don't float. Total loss (of course) but the only time she was ever on a flatbed in 73,000 miles...If anyone wants a case for resale value: 2010 RTL w/ Nav - bought as a Honda factory demo with 3,000 miles on the clock for $33,500. Drove for 4 1/2 years and 70k miles. Insurance check for the total loss: $26,400. Hard to beat that cost per mile...With no other insurance claims, my next premium increase was minimal (some of it due to the extra cost of insuring a $57,000 RAM EcoDiesel vs a 2010 RL)...I was tempted to just grab another late model RL until the Gen II came out but decided to use the 'opportunity' to use the benefits of diesel and a full size rig...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts