Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why? :mad:

Because at about 7:30pm this evening one in a Honda Odysey Van t-bone me running a red light several seconds after it was red. He did not even hit his brakes. It was about a 40-45MPH collsion.

And get this...the kid did not even have his driver's license with him! The police did not take him off to jail. He called his mother and she brought to him. His mother said he knows better than to not drive around without his license..oh ok that makes me feel better - NOT:eek:

Side curtain and seat airbags deployed, front axles both broke, left tire deflated, front left section of the truck smashed in.

I only had the thing for 96 days and 3500 miles. Have not even changed the oil yet. I hope the insurance replaces it as it will never be right again. Probably the first one wrecked in Georgia.

I am banged up a bit, just sore mostly, no cuts or broken bones. The truck held up fairly well to protect the occupants.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I'm glad everyone is OK. You are right about 16 year olds driving, especially alone and at night. Hope the insurance Co. replaces your RL.
Keep us posted on your recovery.

Craig

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Sorry about your cherised RL being hit but it's great that it did it's job and saved you from serious injury. Having been through a few of these myself, prepared to be even sorer tomorrow.
I hope you do get a full replacement for your RL. Maybe the new "diminished value" insurance rules will help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Glad you hear you're ok. I'd like to see how it fared, if you get a chance to post a picture ot two.

L

·
0 Posts
OH DJ..OMG I am so sorry. I am so glad you and your riders are alright. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the aches and pains to come. Keep us updated on your healing process.
J.C.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi Doc, So glad to hear you are in one piece! T-boned at that speed could have been much worse had they been trucks other than Hondas involved. Keep us posted of your progress. Hope you get a new truck soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad you're OK...I certainly concur with Webwader. Unfortuantely the soreness gets worse before getting better. I was rear ended in my 97 Acura EL (Canadian only up-model civic) by a guy driving his Ford Explorer while reading the paper. It took me almost two years to regain my pre-crash mobility. Where on the truck did the van hit you?..40-45 mph... a lot of momentum in the crash it would be very interesting to see pics. Again glad you're all in one piece!

·
Registered
89 Posts
DoctorJ said:
I am banged up a bit, just sore mostly, no cuts or broken bones. The truck held up fairly well to protect the occupants.
Glad you're O.K., Doc. Do the side and curtain airbags cause scrapes/burns like the front ones do?

Here's to a speedy recovery and a new RL!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I am sorry I skipped over this thread until tonight. LadyRidge brought your situation to my attention with her new thread. I hope you're able to give us an update soon on your recovery.

It's a shame that such a fine machine was destroyed by a dumb kid. I think it would be wise to raise the age for driving to 18, at least 17, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Get back to snuff soon!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Happy to hear that you were able to walk away from it DoctorJ! Not everybody does.
Running red lights was getting to be such a problem here that they started to install "red light cameras" at a lot of the problem intersections (places where similar t-bone accidents have occured). There is a hefty fine if you are photographed in the intersection with a red light. It has proven to be a fairly effective deterent.
Hope you mend up quickly and I hope they replace your Ridge.

·
Registered
146 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Why? :mad:
Probably the first one wrecked in Georgia.
At least this isn't true, my fiance' saw a Blue RTL in a three car sandwich at GA 400 and I-285 last week. It too did a good job of protecting the passenger compartment. Glad your ok too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We are very happy that you all are ok. We are sorry about your truck and wish you well in obtaining a replacement quickly.

As the parent of a 16 year old I understand both sides of this situation. I just hope that this young driver has learned a valuable lesson and this will make him a safer driver in the future. He is extremely lucky that the two vehicles in the crash were both Honda's, which goes for everyone involved.

Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is an intersection in my home town that cars run the light every single time the light turns red. I have never seen the police stop anyone for doing it.

When I'm riding my KTM and sitting first in line waiting for the light to turn green, I can look over and tell how many people will run the light. When my light turns green (and there are still at times 6 cars in the large intersection) I holeshot at them, scaring the b-jesus out of them.:eek:

I hate people that run red lights, turn without a t/s, and drive below the speed limit in the fast lane.

·
Registered
275 Posts
DoctorJ. Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad to hear that everyone is OK. With the Ridge, you hope you never have to use them, but with the possibility of this happening it's great piece of mind to know that all the safety features Honda installs on this vehicle are doing their job! Does it appear totaled?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Hey Doc, I don't know how spiritual you are but thank GOD you are alright! Sorry to hear about your Ridgeline. Rest up, get well, let the other person's and your insurance company play their game but get a new truck not a repaired one! :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
As a firefighter I've been to more than my share of accidents over the last 27years or so. Thank God that you are all OK and thank God that your Ridge did its job for you when it counted.

Everything else is life and your still in it!!!

We have a graduated licence system here in Alberta. You can get your minimum, one year, learners permit as early as 14, probationary at 16 and fully licensed after a year of probation for a minimum total of a two year program.

In the first year of driving, as a learner, regardless of age, you must be accompanied by a non-probationary, licenesed driver over the age of 18.

There are also restrictions into the second (probationary) year with a curfew, a limit on the amount of passengers, 0% alcohol blood level tolerances and a lower demerit ceiling. If all goes well you are tested again before full status is granted.

Hope you feel good again soon in your new Ridgeline.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts