Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen 22" etc rims that look good.. I'm just ole fashion & like alittle more cushion between me & the road. Has anyone had luck with this? I have the flares and 2" wider tires could fit under the RL no problem, just need to find a rim with proper offset backspace.. there is no room to go inward for the rear tires, so any rubber must go out... OE rims wont work with wider tires without a spacer.. I just heard spacers are not the safest.
My dealer said landrover rims fit the RL, a local tire shop said BMW fits and another said nothing "17 inch" is on the market peroid with our bolt pattern.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am reluctant to replace the OEM Michelins. They ride well, pretty quiet, and look pretty good. I would, however, like to get better looking wheels. With the bolt spacing of the ridge, pickings are pretty slim. We need a 17 x 7.5, with a 5-120 bolt spacing, high offset. I don't even know about the TPMS compatibility.........

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have done a lot of research on wheels and I agree that anything over an 18 inch wheel is not suited for "truck" use (hauling, towing, off-road etc). If you are not going to haul anything and just want it to look cool, the 20-22's make sense. The problem is not so much the wheel but the limited tire types that are available in the larger rim sizes. If you desire true AT or even off-road tires its best to stay with the 17 inch size. Also the load capacity of the tire varies and if you intend to haul anything from time to time with the large wheels, make sure the load capacity is rated at least what the OEM tires will do. Be careful with extending the width and reducing the offset, the fullcrum point changes on the suspension and bearings and might promote premature wear or failure on those components.

If you have the money HRE can custom make a set of wheels to fit your exact offset and size requirements. The roll on for about $1200 per wheel. Boyd's can also do custom offsets for less but their wheels styles are more suited to hotrods but its all about preference and opinion at that point.

When choosing a set of wheels you also need to match it up with the desired tire type and size. Research your tires as well because you don't want to end up with a 2000 dollar set of wheels and only have one or two tires models that fit your application. What if the tires made too much noise or were even discontinued and you were stuck with a crappy tire import vs Michellin or another popular brand. And a note: tires have a HUGE amount of markup, don't let your local tire store charge you more than 5% over what you can get them at tirerack, anything more does not make sense unless you have a money tree.

tang did a good job with his tsw wheel selection and falken tire size. I have seen others that chose 18s and found a good truck use type tire as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks for the compliment dr. j!

i debated on whether to get 18's w/big "truck tires" or go w/the more flashier "dub" package...

i chose 20"s over 22"s because i 22"s have a harsher ride in my opinion..gets a little bouncy at freeway speeds..i also chose 20"s because i will mainly use this truck on weekends to drive the family to basketball/t-ball practice and to drive to parties...i added the tpms onto the new tsw wheels so that i they didn't have to take it out of the stock wheel/tire sets...i figured if i needed to go to the mountains, i can swap out the stock wheels/tires and it won't be a problem..

i'm sure the ridgeline will look good w/big "truck tires" also...

i always get new "shoes" for my ride...just like to personalize it a bit...

thanks again..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had 4 new chrome wheels put on my wifes ridgeline. Used the original tires and sensors. They look great. They are made by chrome xpressions. Bought from local wheel store. Had to order them from california but they fit perfectly. If I knew how to take pictures with my camcorder (it takes still shots but I have never tried) I would put them on here. Do a google search on those wheels and look at the 803c. They look awesome on red rock pearl.the wheels are the same size as the original wheels.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've learned the hard way and the expensive way changing tire and wheel sizes. It is havoc on transfer cases, transmissions, front ends..you name it and it will wear out faster-and that's on "old" technology. I can just imagine what it does to trucks with even more precise components. I'm going to resist the temptation and not do it....but maybe some nice rims in the same size.

·
Registered
39 Posts
walker evans 17by8.5. they will drill 5by 120 and set them up for stock or tapered nuts. also made me a adapter for the honda hub cap. check your offsets since the front caliper gets real close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've learned the hard way and the expensive way changing tire and wheel sizes. It is havoc on transfer cases, transmissions, front ends..you name it and it will wear out faster-and that's on "old" technology. I can just imagine what it does to trucks with even more precise components. I'm going to resist the temptation and not do it....but maybe some nice rims in the same size.
I agreee. From my experience the vehicle also will never ride as nice and smooth as it originally did with the factory rims. I also learnt the hard way on 18" wheels.. the price per tire is almost double a regular 17" tire.. especially a lower/wider profile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had 4 new chrome wheels put on my wifes ridgeline. Used the original tires and sensors. They look great. They are made by chrome xpressions. Bought from local wheel store. Had to order them from california but they fit perfectly. If I knew how to take pictures with my camcorder (it takes still shots but I have never tried) I would put them on here. Do a google search on those wheels and look at the 803c. They look awesome on red rock pearl.the wheels are the same size as the original wheels.
So, is that "chrome expressions" website the same website that does NOT give a quote for the wheels but instead want your personal info including Social Security Number for financing? Isn't that a flag for highway rubbery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like your post, I was preety excited to find a set of wheels with same configuration as the factory, but searched all over google and cannot find chromeexpressions.com Can you please tell me the website is? Thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts