Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ROC world!

I have been looking at this site pretty often since 08'. I forgot my login info so had to create a new account. I did months of research on ROC before finally pulling the trigger on my new set up. Some of the tire shop guys were shaking their head at me when they saw the size I was putting on, but now they are impressed everything fits without a lift/grinding.

Les Schwab is the main tire store in the Northwest. I originally wanted their Toyo Open Country M/T's, but they don't fit. I fell in love with images I found on here with Grappler tires. Went down to America's Tire and got a quote on the tires. They wanted $950+. Did some research online and found all 4 with free shipping for $757.80 on tirebuyer.com.

Les Schwab didn't carry the XD Monsters in the 5x120 bolt pattern, so they had to special order them from XD. After re-using the TPMS's and lugs and balance it came to $946.63. I know I could have got them cheaper somewhere else, but the manager is a family friend and I wanted to give him my business.

So after $1704.43, here she is...

No rubbing while driving around town. The guys at the tire shop didn't hear/see any either. I am possibly hearing a faint rubbing sound when I am in reverse with the wheel cranked all the way. Oh well. Thanks for the knowledge everyone! :act030:

~Sean
Rose City Til I Die

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
That is a very nice setup! :act035:

·
Registered
246 Posts
terra grapplers are GREAT tires.. I ran them on my jeep rubicon back in the day, smooth, quiet, balanced well. heavy though, but worth the awesome look!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Any pictures without the center caps on by chance?

What are the size and offset specs of the wheels?

Looks fantastic!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Your RL looks great! I'm a little surprised that you are able to re-use the lug nuts. Did the wheels come with hub-centric rings?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know! How? Most of the stuff I've read on this site refers to powdercoating the rack before installing it. Too late for me?
goto a local hardware store, and get yourself a couple cans of plastidip. minimal prepwork required, and is removable if needed. gives a nice durable matte black finish. and if it nicks, just give it a spray again :)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
goto a local hardware store, and get yourself a couple cans of plastidip. minimal prepwork required, and is removable if needed. gives a nice durable matte black finish. and if it nicks, just give it a spray again :)
Nice. How does it stand up to weathering / washing? Any idea?

·
Registered
283 Posts
No rubbing while driving around town. The guys at the tire shop didn't hear/see any either. I am possibly hearing a faint rubbing sound when I am in reverse with the wheel cranked all the way. Oh well. Thanks for the knowledge everyone! :act030:

~Sean
Rose City Til I Die
I am looking to do the same setup. My only concern is whether the tires are going to rub. Did you get a lift and are you experiencing any rubbing?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Looks Great.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am looking to do the same setup. My only concern is whether the tires are going to rub. Did you get a lift and are you experiencing any rubbing?
I do not have a lift and like the quote in your post, it only rubs slightly when in reverse and I have the wheel cranked all the way to the left. It's only rubbing on the front right passenger side. If I go slow enough, there is no rubbing. It's only when the weight of the car gets shifted around abruptly. I suppose if I was going fast in dirve and then cranked the wheel hard to the left, I would hear the rubbing noise again. I only hear it about once a week when I forget to slow down when backing out of my drive way. I also have a slight curb to back off of so the bouncing probably decreases the small space I have inbetween the wheel and the wheel well. Other than that, it's awesome.

Driving all around town and to/from work it doesn't rub. I even try to drive wild once in a while to test it and don't hear any. If this worries you, you may want to go one size smaller. :act024:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do not have a lift and like the quote in your post, it only rubs slightly when in reverse and I have the wheel cranked all the way to the left. It's only rubbing on the front right passenger side. If I go slow enough, there is no rubbing. It's only when the weight of the car gets shifted around abruptly. I suppose if I was going fast in dirve and then cranked the wheel hard to the left, I would hear the rubbing noise again. I only hear it about once a week when I forget to slow down when backing out of my drive way. I also have a slight curb to back off of so the bouncing probably decreases the small space I have inbetween the wheel and the wheel well. Other than that, it's awesome.

Driving all around town and to/from work it doesn't rub. I even try to drive wild once in a while to test it and don't hear any. If this worries you, you may want to go one size smaller. :act024:
It sounds like you're happy with your new wheels/tires. The XD Monsters are one of the few wheels I like. I really appreciate your assessment.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wouldnt go scrubbing it with a hard brush at all. but standard soap and soft brush should be fine! I am in the process of using this on all of my wheels and then painting over it with a metallic graphite :)
I want to do the same to my 18" OEM RTL Alloys and give them the 2012 RL Sport wheel look. Problem is, here in Canada, I can't seem to be able to find this stuff. I will have to oder oneline me thinks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I want to do the same to my 18" OEM RTL Alloys and give them the 2012 RL Sport wheel look. Problem is, here in Canada, I can't seem to be able to find this stuff. I will have to oder oneline me thinks.
I would go that route if the hardwear stores dont carry it.. best way to take care of 'tape jobs' with plastidip is as soon as your spray and the paint is still kinda wet, pull it then rather then wait til it dries. if it dries then trace the tape with a razor, otherwise the tape will pull the paint up.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I would go that route if the hardwear stores dont carry it.. best way to take care of 'tape jobs' with plastidip is as soon as your spray and the paint is still kinda wet, pull it then rather then wait til it dries. if it dries then trace the tape with a razor, otherwise the tape will pull the paint up.
Point taken. Could be difficult if more than one coat required.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts