Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread hijack warning! It's all Speedlever's fault! :)

*another former owner of a 1977 Celica GT liftback. What a great car. Only got rid of it because it was not family friendly with 3 kids!
This isn't a photo of my '77, but mine looked exactly like this. Bought mine in '79, black interior, 5-spd manual, mine came without louvers but I picked some up at a wrecking yard. I also added a Concord cassette deck with Dolby B/C, Blaupukt EQ/amp, Pioneer and Jensen speakers (state of the art at the time) all courtesy of a budding stereo mail-order company called Crutchfield.

Poor car got sideswiped weeks after I bought it, teenager in the lane to my left suddenly decided she wanted to make a hard right turn off the highway and took out the entire driver's side of my Celica and spun me around. Passenger side rims bent when I hit the curb, driver's side new front fender, door skin and rear quarter. Owner of body shop told me he had to paint the entire car anyway and asked me if I wanted to get rid of the orange, but I told him, no I liked the color. :)

Front bumper, grill, hood replaced in a later parking lot accident that was my fault. I abused that poor car mercilessly all through college, burnouts, speed shifting, donuts, dirt/mud roads, and it just kept running like a champ. Sold it in '85 to buy an 84 Camry.

The new owner's brother fell asleep with the cruise control set at 60 (I installed CC) and ran off a two-lane highway into an embankment. Car was destroyed, but he walked away with broken nose, broken ribs and really banged up.

Owning another '77 just like my old one is on my bucket list. :)

15 for 15 under 15: 1976-1977 Toyota Celica GT Liftback |

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,658 Posts
Hah! I fixed that thread drift issue!

Mine was silver with the black interior, 5 speed and ran like a top. It came with the louvers on the back glass but I refused to pay for them and the dealer removed them.

I bought it brand new. They would only deal so far and fell $25 short of my price. So as I walked away from the showroom and started to get into my car to drive away, the salesman followed me out and asked if I would be willing to do the deal if he would write me a check for the $25. I said yes and became a proud owner of that Celica Liftback. I always thought it had a Mustang fastback profile. That salesman later became the sales manager of that same large dealership (but many years later, failed to remember that transaction.) ;)

It served me well until we outgrew it with 90K+ on the odometer. I bought it for $5500 and sold it for $3450, iirc. I replaced it with a more family friendly Olds Cutlass 4 door diesel which turned out to be a problematic vehicle. Sigh.

I remember driving home from work one time after taking some cold medicine and fell asleep just as I entered a curve. I bounced off and out of the ditch and drove home with mud all over the right side wheels and a dented right side. It drove fine after I cleaned the mud off the wheels but I had a body shop fix the dents and repaint the car. Never had a minute of trouble out of it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Boy, they don't make 'em like they used to... that's for sure. I had an '80 Celica GT. Silver exterior/black interior, 5-speed manual. That was the funnest car I've ever had. It didn't have much of a top end, but from the 0 to 55 MPH range, it was a little beast. I, too, was very hard on that car, and it just kept taking the abuse. Dang, those Japanese engineers know how to build a car. There was no U.S. automaker in that day that could make a car like that. When I was 17, I was involved in a low-speed front-end collision (my fault) with a Ford F-Series. I was making a left turn, distracted, and didn't see this vehicle approaching. I turned in front of him and BAM! Anyways, the hood of the Celica was a little bent up, but I drove the car home. There was no mechanical problem at all. The truck was completely disabled. I thought, "what the heck?" How can this little rice burner just 'walk away' like that with that heavy truck out of commission. I felt bad for the incident, but good for how great that little Toyota was. It was involved in a couple of minor scuffles later on... not my fault... and she just kept going. After I sold it, I'd see it parked on a nearby street for many years after, and grinned fondly at it as I drove by. Still miss that car to this day. Like I said, they don't make them like that anymore.

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah! I fixed that thread drift issue!
And that's why you are a moderator and make the big bucks! Thanks man, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who had a '77 Liftback. What an awesome car!

Here's one that is really over the top with wide body flares and a lumpy V8....

This is much more my style with a 7M-GTE under the hood...

7M-GTE
The turbocharged 7M-GTE was produced from 1986 to 1992. Output was 173 kW (232 hp) at 5600 rpm and 325 N·m (240 ft·lb) at 4000 rpm for most 5 psi (0.34 bar) versions. It was Toyota's top performance engine until it was replaced by the 1JZ-GTE.

A special 7M-GTEU version, with a modified CT26 high-flow turbocharger and large volume intercooler, pushed output to 267 hp (199 kW) at 5600 rpm and 358 N·m (264 ft·lb) at 4400 rpm. This was used only in the racing homologation Toyota Supra Turbo A road and race cars. The Turbo A models also measured air based on manifold pressure rather than using an air flow meter, had a larger intercooler, larger throttle body, optimized CT-26 turbo, and various other differences. It was the fastest Japanese car at the time. The homologation was for the Group A series. The Group A Supra with a 7M-GTE and CT26 turbo produced 433 kW (580 bhp).

Specifications:

Displacement: 2,954 cc (180.3 cu in)
Bore: 83.0 mm (3.27 in)
Stroke: 91.0 mm (3.58 in)
Compression Ratio: 8.4:1
Weight: 210 kg (463 lb)
Applications:

1986–1992 Toyota Supra (MA70)[9]
1986–1991 Toyota Soarer (MZ20/MZ21)

Or this one...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.