Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

Last summer I pulled the trigger and purchased a vehicle from my childhood. I always loved the look of these cars. Being 33 years old, with under 100k km on the odometer, and original OEM hardware. I put 15,000km on her in just 4 months and it had a few issues. Engine was burning oil and all of the rubber components had started to dry rot. Therefore I decided to put her under the wrench for a winter rebuild.

As I bought it,

Rebuild begins,

Block stripped and ready for the shop

Back from the shop and starting to put it back together. Stock 2.8L built to 3.1L.

Stuck with the iron heads, loved the split port swirl design.

Chassis is starting to come together as well.

Engine cradle.

Front suspension.

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

More updates to follow. I hope to have her back on the road this summer.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I always liked the style of these.In 1986 i was going to by one, but the quality issues they had I bought a 86 MR2 and never had a issues with it. got totaled with 178k miles. Your looks nice enjoy!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always liked the style of these.In 1986 i was going to by one, but the quality issues they had I bought a 86 MR2 and never had a issues with it. got totaled with 178k miles. Your looks nice enjoy!
Back in 86 the MR2 was definitely a nice choice over the Fiero. For your money they still fetch more. It's too bad you totaled yours. I read all about the early "quality issues" of the Fiero, the early MR2 had it's far share as well. This being 2020, those few issues with my Fiero are 34+ years in the past and it will be more than competent when I am finished. Gotta love resto mods. 💖

·
Registered
502 Posts
I loved these cars when they came out. I was working for a very open minded company with a liberal company car policy. I was able to select a 1985 Fiero 2M6 in the standard "secretary's" clothing but with those 4 big pipes coming out the back. Two years later I handed it back in for a full zoot "GT" with the long nose, short skirts and sexy tail ( sounds like my wife). Company rules were that you could have almost anything except a Corvette or El Dorado but NO turbos, sunroofs or manual transmissions. These cars were fun except in the snow - they didn't steer. Surprised a lot of "hot" cars back then especially in the rain. I had all the traction in the world. Just hope they didn't want to race around a corner. Pray you didn't have to brake while going around a slippery corner. Don't take it grocery shopping - ice cream melted in the rear trunk.

They both were absolutely bulletproof the whole two years each. I could have bought them from the company for a very attractive price but "so little time - so many cars" syndrome. The downside was that no policeman seemed capable of letting these go by without ticketing them. I finally got in a hassle with one cop over a particularly nit-picky summons and ended up in a big court fight. Next company car was an SUV. The SUV craze was just starting and it was the 80's. You had to keep trending.

One question remained unanswered: how do you change the forward spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thing won't be seeing any snow......

Unless maybe if it gets caught in the driveway late in the fall again....... :rolleyes:

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

One question remained unanswered: how do you change the forward spark plugs?
It's actually not much different, a little easier, than changing the rearward plugs on the Ridgeline. ;)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Cool car and nice restore thread!

Before I got married, I rented out my house 2nd floor to an acquaintance who had a 1984 Fiero (first model year) with the anemic 2.5L I4. “Iron Duke” engine. The car was nice, but the I4 didn’t do it justice. My renter “traveled light”, as he moved into my upstairs by transporting his few small belongings (including his futon bed) in his Fiero’s passenger seat, in just several trips!

Below is an interesting Wiki read, of how the Fiero was originally conceived by Pontiac as a 2 seat mid-engine V6 sports car, but then GM execs quashed that since it would compete with Chevrolet’s Corvette. So Pontiac has to recast it as a 2 seat I4 “commuter car” to get GM to approve it for production. So that’s what my renter had. Then Pontiac later morphed it into their original V6 vision, starting with your 1985 model, and then culminating in 1988 with a Lotus like independent suspension. Ironic that just as it reached its full vision as a mid engine V6 sports car, the model was ended....

Reactions: GhostYK1

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
A good friend of mine was a Fiero aficionado - at one time he had three of them that were running. I bought an '84 "parts car" with just over 100K miles from him around 2000 that was literally buried under a pile of leaves behind his house. The paint was shot, the interior was okay, and it needed a new clutch before it would move under its own power. I had the radiator repaired, changed all the fluids, and installed new tires and brakes. In the spirit of Fieros, the engine caught fire on my way home while driving down the highway. It turned out to be a too-long spark plug wire that had fallen on top of the exhaust manifold. I removed the burning wire and finished the drive home on three cylinders. I planned to fix the A/C and repaint it then sell it to my roommate, but it turned out he couldn't drive a manual. I sold it to a lady who cooked the rear brakes during a test drive because she forgot to release the parking brake. :)

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
470 Posts
LOVE IT! I have an 87GT that is at 269K miles on the orig. engine and 5spd transmission (Although I have had the heads off, replaced timing chain, and I have resealed the entire engine). Just before Covid took off in March, I took it on an 1800 mile drive to AZ and back averaging 30mpg. I get picked on for owning two oddball vehicles, but I love them both!

·
Registered
175 Posts

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

Last summer I pulled the trigger and purchased a vehicle from my childhood. I always loved the look of these cars. Being 33 years old, with under 100k km on the odometer, and original OEM hardware. I put 15,000km on her in just 4 months and it had a few issues. Engine was burning oil and all of the rubber components had started to dry rot. Therefore I decided to put her under the wrench for a winter rebuild.

As I bought it,

Rebuild begins,

Block stripped and ready for the shop

Back from the shop and starting to put it back together. Stock 2.8L built to 3.1L.

Stuck with the iron heads, loved the split port swirl design.

Chassis is starting to come together as well.

Engine cradle.

Front suspension.

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

More updates to follow. I hope to have her back on the road this summer.....:rolleyes:
My brother had an 83 Fiero and it broke down and caught on fire on a bridge on the Garden State Parkway. Notorious for that car but it had a good sound system. My 83 Blazer also blew an engine at 27,000 miles, just 2 months after the 24000 mile warranty. That was the end of my GM days.

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
... it had a good sound system. My 83 Blazer also blew an engine at 27,000 miles, just 2 months after the 24000 mile warranty. That was the end of my GM days.
A friend of mind had a 4-cylinder Fiero with the quad exhaust tips that I thought looked and sounded sooo sporty. His also had the top-of-the-line UX1 stereo with graphic equalizer and the very rare UQ6 "performance sound system" (subwoofer).

We take three-year warranties for granted these days, but 90-day warranties were standard up until the 1960s when they increased to one year. Today's warranty lengths have only been around since the 1980s.

Source

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
This feels like an appropriate place to add this, Pontiac Fiero Museum Swept Away By Floodwaters. I loved these cars growing up, they came out when I was in Jr. High, were out of my price range in HS, but more I looked back at them in College (seemed like a California type ride) by then the vehicles with various issues were in the news often.

Best of Luck @GhostYK1 I look forward to updates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought a white 84 brand new. Was the 4 cylinder/4 speed. It was a very nice driving computer car and very sporty looking in its day. Best mod was getting rid of Goodyear Eagle tires and installing some Yokohamas. Totally transformed handling, and I drove it all winter in lots of snow with no problems. Cheers, Mike

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts