Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit we've been bitten by the RL bug. I'm not sure if an antidote exists.

I've been watching ads on Kijiji and there aren't very many RL's for sale in Nova Scotia. Mainly 2006-07, one '11 and '14, a few 2G (which I'm guessing are lease returns because there posted by dealerships). My budget is limited which narrow's it down to 2007-08's.

Found another ad for a 2007 LX, 265,000 km's (164,000+ miles), $6,500.00 Cdn ($5,000.00 US?), and "the price is negotiable within reason". The owners have winter tires on rims. Contacted the seller. They bought the RL 5 years ago with 180,000 km's (111,000+ miles) from a multi brand dealership and had maintenance done at our local Honda dealership until the dealership changed ownership, then they stopped taking the RL there for service. Ironically, they took their RL to a different shop in which we know the owner and have taken our vehicle there long ago for body work. Small world.

Timing belt and water pump replaced, they didn't keep maintenance receipts (I was going to take the VIN to the Honda dealership anyway to see what maintenance they had on file), and about half of the km's since ownership have been on the highway; they don't smoke in their vehicles.

The owners bought a 2009 and are selling the 2007. I'm thinking maybe high mileage anxiety, corrosion, a mechanical issue or maybe they just wanted an EX-L.

We're going to have look at it late this afternoon. If we don't smell cigarette smoke then we'll take it out for a test drive and go from there. We would take it to our mechanic for an inspection and talk to their mechanic who we know is ethical and trustworthy.

If the LX is good to go, I don't think the owners will go below $6,000.00. Anyway, I have a better feeling/vibe about this sale than the first LX we had a look at.

Take care,
2d1c
:^)

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,802 Posts
Hopefully you are Ridgeline owners by now, please tell :)

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update
The RL is the husband's work truck. Their '09 is an EX-L with sunroof.

Before we left the driveway we checked for corrosion around the fuel filler cap. You could tell that it had been repaired, they did a decent job.

The Mrs and I took it for a test drive, almost the exact same route but much shorter because we wanted to get back before dark.

The husband rode in the back seat, we were fine with that. It gave us a chance to get to know him, and him to know us. He mentioned that the rear shocks, starter, pads and rotors have been replaced. We asked if the timing belt and water pump had been replaced. He wasn't sure. They don't really file/keep repair invoices for their vehicles. He called his wife from his cellphone. They'll try to find it tonight. We can confirm with his mechanic down the street what work has been carried out on the RL.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't my imagination, but the transmission shifted a lot smoother than the first LX we drove. The steering had a slight hint of a shimmy when I was driving 100-110 kph on the highway. When the Mrs drove it back to the house at 50 kph there was no shimmy and when she let go of the steering wheel the RL didn't pull left or right. He figured that the low air pressure in the front left tire was causing the shimmy. Suspension and brakes were fine. During the drive he talked about the two shops he would take it to for maintenance and tires. And we talked about where we worked and curling. They do not have all season tires on the OEM rims. We drove with the new winter tires, they weren't as loud as I thought they would be. No smell of mould/mildew. Didn't have time to check the carpet under the mats for dampness. 1/4 to 3/8ths inch crack in the windshield just up and left of the steering wheel.

We arrived back at the house interested in the RL. I didn't spend a lot of time going over the RL because the humidity was high making it really darn cold outside, and it was time for supper. It has some wear and tear. Rear L/H passenger door, bottom trim, the front of it had torn away and folded into itself, and I don't know what to call it - door stop? - corrosion around the base of it. Headlights are not yellow, but hazy. Some corrosion on the rear L/H fender, forward, bottom edge.

I think he forgot to mention this to us. I asked if the tail gate swings out. It doesn't. It'll only lay down. He didn't want to spend anymore money on the RL and decided not to fix the tailgate.

Can the tailgate be removed and dropped off for repair or does it have to stay attached to the bed?

- the RL won't need a Provincial safety inspection until March of next year
- we'll have our mechanic inspect it, list what needs to be repaired
- we'll talk to his mechanic, whom we know
- needs new tires for the summer
- tailgate needs to be repaired
- we'll talk to the autoglass shop (which happens to be across the street from his mechanic) about the windshield
- potentially replace all fluids
- and then make an offer, which will be lower than the asking price.

Did I miss anything?

Insert popcorn eating emoji here: '')(''

2d1c

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fell through.

I'm going to stop posting. I don't want to jinx myself with another fail. Everyone's feedback/advice is helping.

I'll see you when I see you, unless you see me first.
Take care.
2d1c

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,038 Posts
^^ What happened? Sell it to someone else?

I guess you have to be reasonable with your budget and what you're looking for. For that amount of money, you aren't going to find a pristine truck with low mileage. There's probably going to be SOMETHING to fix, repair or refurbish no matter what you buy. I would encourage you to keep posting about your search. Maybe just keep it all in one thread so the whole story can be in one place. I don't think any of us who peruse this section ever get tired of reading about the hunt for used RL's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another owner who wouldn't let me take it to the shop where our mechanic could take a look.

Anyway, it really pains me to type this out.....there was an '09 EX-L with Nav, 189,000 km's (117,439 miles) on the odometer, 4 1/2 hours away, $12,900.00 Cdn, and price was negotiable. It was his wife's vehicle. Always took it in for maintenance. We called on a Tuesday. Told him we'll drive up Saturday. There was a big snowstorm Wednesday that covered us and New Brunswick. Called late Friday afternoon to let him know that we are still driving up......."sorry, I just sold it about half hour ago".
Son-of-a-Dingle Berry!!!!
:crying:

I give up. I'm taking a break. :act060:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
^^ As sucky as that is, it's how the market goes for used G1 RL's. Good examples don't particularly last a long time on the open market. Plus, being an 09 with that mileage at that price, I'm really surprised it lasted as long as it did. Stay focused and keep your eye out. You truly have to be able to jump on one immediately if you want the chance to own it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Following some great advice, I'm going to choose this thread to post my comments to keep things simple. From time to time I'll let you know how things are going.
It's the first day of the four day long weekend, and it's raining. It's hard not to scan the ads on the net, especially for RL's. I thought I would share with you what I found.

(DX, Sport, Special Edition, Touring)

Sport 142,593km $20,993.00 Honda dealership

(DX, Sport, VP, Touring)

Sport 122,000km $20,000.00 private sale
DX 150,000km $19,995.00 Hyundai dealership

Sport 123,000km $19,500.00 private sale

(DX, VP, EX-L (EX-L w/Nav)

VP 131,556km $19,991.00 Honda dealership
EX-L 168,900km $15,995.00 Honda dealership

VP 190,684km $12,995.00 Nissan dealership
VP 205,000km $11,985.00 Honda dealership

EX-L 208,887km $11,997.00 Honda dealership

I'm not going to look at $19k Ridgelines, I thought I would throw those in for comparison purposes. Sales under $19k are outside of the province. I'm not going to fly, or drive for a day out and a day back for a vehicle - I'm not that hardcore.

EX-L's are nice with heated seats, and the odd ones have nav. I'm ok without heated seats and navigation. I stopped in at Atlantic Car Stereo when I started looking at the Ridgeline and found out that I could replace the head unit with a package from Pioneer that had nav, a back up camera and a usb outlet for out on the dash. I found the owner manuals through Honda Canada.

Timing belt. I tried to research when TB's should be replaced, to support negotiating a lower purchase price. I read Canadian manuals for '07, '10, and '13, all it says is to replace the TB at 100,000 km's when driving in very high (over 110F, 43C), very low (-20F, -29C) temperatures or frequently towing a trailer. I raise this issue because when I talked to the owner of the '09 EX-L that had 189,000km's up in New Brunswick, he was pretty comfortable saying that it didn't need the timing belt replaced yet. Well, I let my fingers google and came across someone asking the same question, and someone answered with a link. I followed the link and read the pages, which doesn't refer to the Ridgeline or the Maintenance Minder, so I don't trust that document.
On a side note, while we were on the road to PEI in early Feb, I called one of the Honda dealership on the island and they quoted $1,600.00 to replace the TB and water pump. I didn't ask how much to just purchase the parts.

I suppose I could drop by the dealership and see if the service department can tell me when the MM will indicate it's time to change the TB.

It's stopped raining for now, and the Mrs made angel food cake. Talking about Ridgelines is a hungry business.

Take care and enjoy your weekend.
2sleepingdogs1yawningcat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,
I've been looking on and off again at RL's for the past month. Interestingly two ads on kijiji - one posted from a dealer and another from a private sale - had posted a Carfax with their ad. Each Carfax listed accidents costing several thousands of dollars. I'm not keen purchasing a vehicle that's been involved in an accident - my personal preference.
Came across two other ads.
2009 VP, white, 169,000 km's (105,011 miles), $11,500 Cdn, 5 hour drive away (at least it's in Nova Scotia). Very little info in the ad..."undercoated, diamond coated, new tires, towing package, looks and rides like new". The ad counter says it's been visited over 400 times and the ad has been posted since Jun 17th. Interestingly the seller is also selling their 2007 Bigfoot 17 ft camper.
2010 VP, mocha metallic, 250,000 km's (155,342 miles), $11,900 Cdn, 30 minute drive away. Ad info says "original owner, serviced through Honda (records available), towing package w/electric brake connection, winter tires on rims". Even though the ad only has three photos, I'm pretty sure it's a VP because the seats are cloth instead of leather. No ad counter and it's been posted for 5 days now.
There are RL's for sale in and outside of Nova Scotia, but the pickings are very, very slim if you're looking to purchase from the original owner who's maintained it over the years. I'm not disappointed, nor am I holding my breath.
I am partial to the taffeta white and there are so many crystal black pearl exteriors. I've also noticed in certain ad photos air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror or attached to air vents.
Anyway, it's not an exciting post in which you want to munch on popcorn, but at least it's something else to read and comment.
Take care.
: ^ )

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi and belated Happy Thanksgiving.

Do you remember the first time you noticed someone and you really liked them but you were shy. And you thought about them off and on for a long time. Maybe a case of puppy love. Well, gosh darn it, it's hard to stop thinking about RL's.

Came across this ad for a 2010 (RT?) with 252,000 km's (156,585 miles) for $9,500.00, a bit odd because most sellers have photos of the inside of their vehicle, and at the bottom of the tailgate there's the name of a used car dealership in yellow letters. So I don't know if the owner became tired of the RL or something mechanical popped up and they want to get rid of it now. It's located in town. My instinct is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about that one.

I spied another ad for a 2011 EX-L (Nav option unknown) at a Ford dealership that's 116 km's away (72 miles). It has 290,000 km's (180,197 miles) on the clock and their asking $10,400.00. And it's Taffeta White - I admit I'm partial to Taffeta White. I don't think they'd let me drive it all the way up here to have it inspected.

And then to my surprise, in another ad I saw a drop in price. A 2010 EX-L (no Nav) with 202,794 km's (126,010 miles) the dealership was asking 14,5 - 14,9 for over a month, and now it's down to $11,994.00. The dealership is 264 km's (164 miles) away in the neighbouring province of New Brunswick. The thing is I don't know of any reputable mechanics up there. I used AMA (Atlantic Motor Association) website and found in Moncton a small auto repair shop which happens to be closed on Saturdays (insert here: hitting head against brick wall emoji)

In the mean time I'll pay off what's left owing on our new driveway and keep my eyes open for any other interesting RL ads.

Take care,
2d1c

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good morning,
Well, the dealership dropped the price even further, from 11,994 to 10,470. I've been keeping an eye out for the last 9 months and I've never seen a dealer drop the asking price so often. Hmm. That's odd. If it's in good shape, it would have sold already. I bit the bait and decided to have a look. I drove up and all the fenders and rocker panels were rusted.
But I had a plan B. PEI wasn't too far away since I was up in Moncton already, so I drove out there to have a look at a blue 2009 EX-L w/Nav that was advertised as undercoated and great condition. The asking price was higher than I wanted to pay but I thought I would have a look anyway. Crawled on my hands and knees to have a look underneath and it was in great shape. Walked around and was getting really excited, could this be the one? Nope. Rusted out driver's side rear fender.
Left 6:30am, arrived home around quarter after 5. It was a good experience. Learned I need to bring a flashlight when I have a look in the engine compartment.
The saga continues.
2wearydogs1patientcat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After work I drove across the harbour to check out a 2013 DX with 105,769 km on the odometer at a Ford dealership. They were asking $19,980.00. I walked around and checked the rocker panels and fenders. All fine. I crawled underneath until you could only see my knees. What a shame. If they had undercoated it when they bought it new, it wouldn't look like a rust bucket. Not mild surface corrosion, and not eaten through...sorry no photos. A lot of salt is used here in Nova Scotia, about 240,000 tonnes. It broke my heart to see a six year old RL that badly rusted. And it will only get worse over time.
I've come to realize that the pool of RL's in NS is pretty small and that I'll have to look outside of the province.
Cheers
2d1c

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, on Saturday the Mrs and I went for a drive down to Mahone Bay to visit the yarn shop. She is an avid knitter. And farther down the highway at Bridgewater is the Ford dealership that has that 2011 EX-L. And a half hour drive farther south is Liverpool where we love to eat at Paul's (yum!). "Love, since we're down here at the yarn shop, how about we head down to Paul's for lunch?" "Sure, and do you want to have a boo at that truck dear", "yes Love, if you don't mind". "Ok, let's go" (she knows me well, lol).
Pull into the parking lot and we find the RL. I forgot it's painted white. First thing comes to mind are the post(s) about peeling paint. There it is...peeled/chipped paint where the edge of the windshield meets the A pillar...really evident when you lift up the hood and the paint has peeled away on either side of the engine compartment. Underneath it's fine, you can tell it's been undercoated, and in the door jams you can see the caped holes used to spray inside the body. Freckled rust spots about the size of a ball point pen/head of pin on the lip of the rear driver's side fender. Had a look at the roof of the RL and it was fine except for the end of the trim that was loose above the window on the driver's side. The paint has been touched up on the driver and passenger side of the RL, at the bottom of the window trim (it think in the photo, the white dots are tiny bits of paint, I found them all over the wiper blades too).
After seeing the state of the paint, I'm not sure if I should walk or run in the other direction. The Mrs says to show the pictures to the body shop fellow we know in town to get his take on it, it won't cost us anything to ask him.
We sat in the RL, started up no problems, pulled out of the parking spot and started to turn right and we hear a big CLUNK. Hmmm. Ok. Carried on and that was the only time we heard the clunk. Drove down the street, out to the highway, back into and around town and parked it back at the dealership. Engine sounded and felt fine, transmission was fine, mushy brakes. Seats heated up. Forgot to check the AC and the carpets for dampness. Escape hatch worked, forgot the sliding rear window. Since it was Saturday, no one was open to raise it on a hoist for a look. Dealership had no maintenance history documentation (I never expect them too anyway).
Came home. Found threads about peeling paint and the mention of TSB's for CR-Vs, Odysseys, etc that were painted white. Wondered if I should buy a Carfax report. Did that. It was in an accident, damage to the centre of the front bumper, about $2,000 to repair. Doesn't say what type of accident. Interestingly, the Carfax did have some maintenance history listed. And all the maintenance listed was done at the local Honda dealer. I have no doubt if I went there with the VIN they could pull up it's history for the last 290,000 km's (180,197 miles).
I'm going to try to upload a couple of photos....sorry no photos of the A pillars. 2tailchasingdogs1mellowcat

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
^^ Definitely appears to be a delamination issue between the primer and basecoat. Makes you wonder when the rest of the truck will start doing that. All things considered, though, for the mileage and the area of the world you're in, it probably could be worse. You're looking at a high mileage, older vehicle, so it's likely not going to be perfect. Nevertheless, I don't have a great feeling about that one for some reason.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ Definitely appears to be a delamination issue between the primer and basecoat. Makes you wonder when the rest of the truck will start doing that......... Nevertheless, I don't have a great feeling about that one for some reason.
My thoughts exactly. I showed our auto body go to person. He would have preferred to have a look, but did his best to analyze the photos on my phone. He said I may get 3-4 years out of the RL before it needs more body work. He said ideally you would repaint the entire truck, the cost for that would start around $6-7k, if you're lucky to find someone to take on a project of that size.
I'm going to pass on this one.
2d1c

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
It seems that whenever I go look for a used vehicle, I am sorely disappointed at the general condition of it. I agree with the others about passing on this particular RL.

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems that whenever I go look for a used vehicle, I am sorely disappointed at the general condition of it.....
Now when we go to have a look, I don't have any expectations anymore, it becomes too disappointing.

Now, there is a 2010 VP (2010 trim lines: DX, VP, EX-L) with about 120,000 km's (74,564 miles) way up in Edmundston. At least 7-8 hour drive. I talked to the owner (2nd owner) who bought it in 2013 and has undercoated it ever since. Interestingly he works at the local Honda dealership. He's had it in for regular maintenance. His plan is to sell it and buy a 2017/2018 RL. The asking price is way to high for me. I use VMR Canada as a guide to help me figure out what to offer, and I offered him 13,5. By the time I pay sales tax (15%) I'm up to $15,525.
I could understand his asking price if it was an EX-L w/Nav.
If it's still for sale at the end of Nov I'll contact him again with the same offer (on condition of inspection, etc) and explain why.

Have a good night.
2curledupdogs1dreamingcat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Siting here, watching the women's finals of the Tour Challenge tournament of the Grand Slam of Curling series of events. The Mrs said if she knew that the tournament was up the road in New Glasgow, we would have gone this weekend to watch the quarter/semis/finals matches.

Thinking about my shopping experiences so far. I've gone through all of the pages of posts in the G1 Problems and Issues sub forum. I've printed the checklist.
I've thought about age and maintenance of a used RL. There are '06's, and '07's for sale here, but I believe for the most part they've gone through many hands, and from my experience, not all owners keep their receipts for maintenance. I'm aware of the water into the cab issue, and to be aware that it may not be specific to one model year.
What did we do before the existence of the internet? I appreciate the advance warning with regards to certain components such as the radiator and paint. Knowledge is power, power to make informed decisions.
I can't imagine the time and resources used to put the wiki site together, it's been very helpful.

I don't remember if I mentioned in my original thread how we came to the RL.
When it was time to replace the Mrs car, I used IIHS and the Lemon Aide Used Car Guide (taken over by the APA) from the library and Consumer Reports online to gather information to create a list. This became our list in no particular order: Prius, Prius V, Toyota Highlander, Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, Rav4, and the Kia Soul. After our ergonomic assessment, the list was narrowed down to: Forester, CR-V and Prius V. After taking all three out for test drives, the Forester won. The Mrs Forester (2014 lease return, we bought in 2016 with 42,000 km's) is her office. She drives it everyday, all day when she's working with her clients. I on the other hand am driving a 2004 Toyota Echo with 260,000+ km's back and forth to work, which is fine. We use the Forester on long trips and it's not the most comfortable for traveling. We're pretty tired at the end of the day. The stiff suspension, seats and loud road/wind noise wipes us out. The time to replace the Echo is coming.

I went through the same research process for a second used vehicle: looking for ease of access, comfortable ride, suspension and a quieter cabin. I came up with the following list: Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Lexus RX350, and Honda Ridgeline.

The Mrs would also use my replacement vehicle to drive her clients out for field trips to...pick apples or attend art class. Which meant that access to the second row had to be really easy for people who had some minor mobility issues.

The list shrank pretty quickly. Vans were out because access to the second row was too high and the seats were too far from the door sill. The Lexus was out because of insurance and it used premium fuel. Well, that left the RL. Let's go have a look. To use the cliche, the rest is history. Access to the front seats was great, I asked her if she felt that access to the rear seats would be a problem for her clients and she said no.

Over time we took three RL's out for test drives, they were much more comfortable and had less road/wind noise than the Forester. I have to admit, the last RL we drove was an EX-L and I really liked the comfortable heated seats. We use the heated seats in her Forester a lot in the winter because of the humidity, we feel the cold in our bones.
After reading wiki, posts and our experiences test driving I'm interested in an EX-L model 2009 and up. Because it's so hard to find a RL that is well maintained and not rusted out I wouldn't walk away if it was not an EX-L.

I know I mentioned earlier that I'm not too keen driving all over the earth to have a look at a RL, but I've come to learn that my chances of finding a RL are greater if I look farther abroad. Abroad as in either end of the province and up in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. And I realize I'll be paying more for a 2009 or newer model. I feel that this may be my last vehicle purchase as a semi-retired old goat.

Time for supper and watch the men's Tour Challenge finals.
: ^ )

2dogswaggingtails1catstaringoutthewindow

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The 2010 VP up in Edmundston is still for sale on Kijiji. I forgot to mention earlier that a taillight was replaced and the rear bumper repaired. The owner mentioned the repairs/replacement wasn't identified on the vehicle's Carfax. I asked and there's been no smoking or vaping in the truck. Interestingly, when I looked through the photo's in the ad, I noticed an air freshener under the steering wheel. Maybe the owner likes the smell of air fresheners, or maybe there's a slight hint of a moldy smell, I don't know. Pictures can't tell the whole story, but they may give a few clues.
2d1c

1 - 20 of 74 Posts