Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,037 Posts
After many years of use, the insides of vehicles take on their own type of smell. My truck most certainly doesn't have an offensive smell, but it's unique in a "there's some dirt and age in here" sort of way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I contacted the owner of the 2010 RL up in Edmundston again, it's been a month since the ad was posted on kijiji. He was asking $18,500.00 for his VP which had 120,000 km (74,564 miles) and he got a really good offer, but the sale is pending. I know there's no way he'll come down to my offer; I wished him a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.
I can't be the only person in N. America who's been looking for a used RL since I've joined the forum. Maybe when the 2020's come out I'll see a lot more RL's for sale ?
2snoringdogs1pretzeltwistedcat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Going to look at a 2012 Sport, 244,000 km's (152,235 miles) tomorrow. Asking $13,500.00. Talked to the owner tonight. 2nd owner. Selling because they bought a new truck. Kept up the maintenance, majority highway miles, has a ball mount attached for towing, no smoking or vaping inside. Drove it for the last 4-5 years, but hasn't been undercoated in that time.
Average annual mileage in Nova Scotia 17,400 km's (2009 stats). I have my list.
2nervousdogs1curiouscat

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sorry, I just bought that one........kidding

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
@2dogs1cat You're being a patient shopper. I think your patience will be rewarded.

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Going to look at a 2012 Sport, 244,000 km's (152,235 miles) tomorrow. Asking $13,500.00. Talked to the owner tonight. 2nd owner. Selling because they bought a new truck. Kept up the maintenance, majority highway miles, has a ball mount attached for towing, no smoking or vaping inside. Drove it for the last 4-5 years, but hasn't been undercoated in that time.
Average annual mileage in Nova Scotia 17,400 km's (2009 stats). I have my list.
2nervousdogs1curiouscat
No go today. Rocker panels have started to go; on the passenger side, rear quarter panel where the seam of the bumper meets the body it's rusted through. It was one of the nicer visits I've had with a seller. The old family dog was really friendly, loved to have its ears gently rubbed.....no we're not getting another dog or cat.
While I was on my side under the truck having a good look, I noticed something that seemed out of place. The propeller shaft was in pristine condition in relation to the rest of the parts around it...not sure if that's normal or not.
Every time I check out a RL that's for sale, I learn more during each visit. Ironically, I forgot my pre-purchase checklist at home....maybe that was foreshadowing?
2d1c
: ^ )

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Mrs. found online a 2010 EX-L without Nav. 219,000 km's (136,080 miles). Asking $10,900.00. Hmm, that seems a tad low. Met with the owner this afternoon. Had a look. Rust. Pass on that one. I'm getting good at this (cheeky comment).
Interestingly, the owner wants to sell it privately at a dealership. I've never heard of this before. I assume the plan would be both parties (RL owner and me) go to the dealership, RL ownership is transferred to the dealer who sells it to me for $10,900.00, the $10,900.00 would be deducted off the selling price of the new truck the RL owner wants to buy, thereby reducing the overall tax payable on the new truck. If the RL owner where to explain the plan to me in that way, I would decline and walk away. If I did go through with the plan, the dealership is under no obligation to sell the RL to me for $10,900.00, and if they did, I have no doubt in my mind they would hit me with taxes, admin fees, whatever they could think of to get more money.
I'll keep buying the occasional lottery ticket when I gas up the car, and if I win buy a :unsure: 2G?
2d1c

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here’s a snapshot of the ads on Kijiji today:

(DX, Sport, VP, Touring)

DX, 105,000 km, $18,490.00, Ford dealership

Sport, 245,000 km, $13,500.00, private sale

(DX, VP, EX-L EX-L w/Nav)

EX-L, 289,990 km, $9,995.00, Ford dealership

EX-L, 219,000 km, $10,900.00, private sale

VP, 184,100 km, $6,900.00, Used car dealership

(LX, EX-L (EX-L w/Nav)

LX, 278,627 km, $5,995.00, Used car dealership
EX-L, 222,243 km, $9,721.00, Honda dealership

EX-L, 230,000 km, $7,500.00, private sale
EX-L, 292,000 km, $5,500.00, private sale

LX, 148,000 km, $7,900.00, private sale

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ads on Kijiji today up in New Brunswick:

(DX, Sport, VP, Touring)

EX-L w/Nav, 129,000 km, $22,950.00, Used car dealership

(DX, VP, EX-L (EX-L w/Nav)

EX-L, 108,000 km, $25,800.00, private sale
VP, 120,000 km, $18,500.00, private sale

VP, 240,000 km, $7,200.00, private sale

(LX, EX-L (EX-L w/Nav)

EX-L, 173,000 km, $7,900.00, private sale

EX-L, 180,000 km, $7,800.00, private sale

LX, 390,000 km, $900.00, parting out, private sale
EX-L w/Nav, 182,133 km, $2,500.00, private sale
EX-L, 330,000 km, $4,800.00, private sale

·
Registered
213 Posts
A few thoughts.
There are few East Coasters that don't have friends or family in Ontario.
I'm in the GTA (Toronto) and see a lot of RL's on the road here. As a matter of fact, it is a rare occasion when I go out that I don't see another RL. So there are a few more vehicles for sale out this way.

You can narrow down the possibilities by simply asking if the seller will be willing to take it to a local CAA facility for a prepurchase inspection on your tab because you are out of town. If they won't - move on. If they will, see if your local friends and family will go have a cursory look at it.

When buying, I looked at a few out of town. I figured that if I was buying in person I would want the inspection anyways because I'm not a mechanic. I was looking at the time and gas to go look at a vehicle. Paying someone else to do the inspection simply made sense. The CAA shops will take your credit card over the phone and email you a full report or a link to their report online.

Once I filtered out the turkeys, I found one that was recently posted & looked good online. The seller said they could take it to a local shop for inspection.
I went out, had a quick look and took it for a test drive. I felt it was good enough to make an investment. I gave the seller $100 non refundable deposit to simply indicate I was not just kicking tires. I gave them the location of a few local CAA inspection shops & they chose one close to their work. I also told them they could get a copy of the report if I chose not to buy it.

I was the first person to test drive it and the $100 deposit let the seller tell others there was a tentative sale with deposit based on inspection. He took the info from a few potential buyers just in case. It worked out to a mutual advantage because he only had to do 1 show / test drive and I got a vehicle with minimal hassle knowing what I was getting into.

While looking I purchased a 3 pack of carfax reports for those sellers that didn't want to go through the expense/trouble.
I used 2 while looking - one told me to stay away, one was the vehicle I bought. I used the 3rd one to sell my old vehicle.
You can usually find someone with extra carproof/carfax codes on Red Flag Deals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
...When buying, I looked at a few out of town....
Hi Roy Ridges, nice to say hello to a fellow Canuck. ROC is an awesome website with amazing people. I'm pretty happy I found it.
Interesting comments you have. And a bit ironic in the sense I have family in Calgary and occasionally check to see what's selling out there. I've had a look on the AMA website for their vehicle inspection centre locations and there's one up in the NW. Well, I do have in-laws up in Edmonton too. Prices in Alberta are what they are in comparison to back home.
An awesome trip would consist of purchasing a RL in the GTA, heading over to oVc in Acton and buying a Ural cT, then trailering the hack home ?
Sorry it's taking me a long time to reply to your post, I'm in the middle of laundry and the Mrs. has baked some shortbread cookies...she bakes and I eat the ones that don't turn out perfectly, lol.
I'm chuckling at myself now because last week we were looking at flights to Toronto, landing on the island, for Easter long weekend. We would take in the Player's Championship at the former Gardens and head up to the McMichael Gallery. I've been a Leafs fan ever since I learned how to turn on the TV as a toddler, one of my favourite characters: Peter Puck on Saturday nights.

Sooner or later the stars will align and I'll find a RL somewhere.

Thank you for your feedback Roy Ridges. Take care.
2saltydogs1catfish

·
Registered
213 Posts
nice to say hello to a fellow Canuck. ROC is an awesome website with amazing people
Re-hi
Yes it is an awsome site with Amazing people.

I'm on some forums for molded fiberglass trailers. Once you become a regular there, you can usually post a request & get someone to grab the buyers check list and go look at a trailer in their area for you. Chances are they may have already seen it or know of it.

I wouldn't worry about speedy responses. There are times when I don't visit for weeks or longer.
BTW Dad was a Bluenoser. Still got cousins out there. Some of them I've never met.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The Mrs. found online a 2010 EX-L without Nav. 219,000 km's (136,080 miles). Asking $10,900.00. Hmm, that seems a tad low. Met with the owner this afternoon. Had a look. Rust. Pass on that one....Interestingly, the owner wants to sell it privately at a dealership....I assume the plan would be both parties (RL owner and me) go to the dealership, RL ownership is transferred to the dealer who sells it to me for $10,900.00, the $10,900.00 would be deducted off the selling price of the new truck the RL owner wants to buy, thereby reducing the overall tax payable on the new truck. If the RL owner where to explain the plan to me in that way, I would decline and walk away......
2d1c
The seller re-posted their ad, and dropped the price to $8,900.00. I'm still not fond of their idea of privately selling the RL through a dealership.
When I'm looking at ads online, sometimes I think about the one that slipped through my fingers, the 2009 EX-L with 189,000km's up in New Brunswick, darn snow storm, it is what it was. Time to move on from that memory and keep searching.
I'm hoping I'll find a RL before August. I'm sending the Mrs. (part Christmas, part birthday present) to Sherbrooke Village to paint. I would like her to drive the RL to Sherbrooke because our secondary roads can be really horrendous - pot holes, sunken, cracked pavement. Driving the RL will be much more comfortable than her '14 Forester.
That's all the news for now.
Have a safe holiday with family and friends.
2turkeydogs1candycanecat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
2014: DX, Sport, Special Edition, Touring
2013: DX, VP, Sport, Touring
2012: DX, VP, Sport, Touring

Noticed some nice and different front grills while searching the ads on kijiji.

2014, Touring in Manitoba
2013, Touring in Ontario
2012, Touring in Manitoba

The grill says Sport, and the tailgate says Touring?

2013, Ontario
2012, Alberta
2012, PEI, 153,000 km's (95,065 miles), Black

The RL in PEI is about a 4 hour drive away. Unfortunately I'm not keen on owning a vehicle that's painted black.

2019: Sport, EX-L, Touring, Black Edition

Up in Moncton there's a 2019 EX-L, 25,600 km's, $39,188.00. If I remember correctly, 2019 Sports were going for $40,900.00ish, and the EX-Ls were selling for $43,900.00ish. I think the mileage is too high to be a demo. Maybe the dealership manager drove it. And the blue pearl paint looks nice too.

2010 EX-L, blue, 109,000 km's up in Moncton. Asking $26,800.00. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the asking price for a 10yr old RL.
My suggestion to myself would be if I'm going to spend 26k to buy a 10 yr old RL, buy a new one instead. I emailed the seller through Kijiji, politely explained how I came to a purchase price and that my offer was contingent on maintenance records and inspection... never heard a peep.

There are some amazing high mileage owners here on ROC. I'm going for the title of the longest RL search in history, lol.

2sneazingdogs1barfingcat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's been over a year since I joined ROC and started looking for a replacement for my Echo. I should have celebrated that momentous occasion with a delicious ice cream cake.

Skipping through the ads on Kijiji and found a repeat RL. Same 2010 EX-L, blue with 109,642 km's (68,128 miles) up in New Brunswick. This time they dropped their price down to $24,800.00.
I replied to the ad and was a bit more straight forward about my offer based on its age, lack of navigation, Bluetooth and a back up camera. I didn't get a response from them the first time, and I don't expect to get a response this time either.

I have to run and change the clocks ahead an hour.
Catch you later.
2sleepingdogs1sleepingcat

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,037 Posts
At $18,000USD, that truck is at the top end of where many others are listed - at least in the US. A quick search on autotrader doesn't bring up too many 2010 RTL's (EX-L) with under 85k miles, but those that do show up are listed for sale between $16,000 and $18,000USD ($22k-$24.8k CAD). If that 10-year old blue truck is in good shape, has solid service history, and you can buy it for under $23,000CAD, I think you'd be doing just fine. You'd finally be able to put this whole thing to bed and become a RL owner.

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi everyone,
I hope you're enjoying a cold beverage this weekend.

2012: DX, VP, Sport, Touring

It seems the majority of private ads are listed on Kijiji, followed by a few on FaceBook, and then rarely on Autotrader.ca. I decided to have a look on Autotrader and came across an ad for a 2012 VP with 153,000 km (95,069 miles), asking $14,900.00 Cdn (roughly $11,100.00 US). Met the owner, who bought the RL 2 yrs ago from the local Honda Dealer. He had maintenance carried out at the same dealer.
I begin with the body and then crawl underneath and go from there. My coconut is small enough to slide it between the tire and fender where I usually find a lot of corrosion on the inside and corners of the seam of the fender. Everything checked out pretty good, 9 out of 10, a wee bit of corrosion in one corner. Should have worn my denim pants, unwittingly kneeled in a puddle of engine coolant on the ground (we were in the parking lot of a gas station). Crawled under on my back and had a look. It was pretty obvious what was undercoated and what was not. For the most part, the undercoating was better than other vehicles I've seen. Usually I find the frame/cross mbr thing between the trunk and bumper badly corroded, in this case it was well undercoated. I noticed a shaft to have what appeared to be two score marks running around the circumference of the shaft (sorry no photo). The rocker panels were fine, which is rare around here.

If it's ok Mods, I'll post my question here instead of starting another thread.

This was the only part I could see that was badly corroded, which is common around here. Is it replaceable?

The brine and road salt will continue to work their magic.

On a side note, I noticed he reposted his ad again from last year for his 2010 VP with the same asking price; and this owner reposted his ad from last year too for his 2010 EX-L with the same asking price.

I have to run, time for supper and I want to raid the garden to make a salad :)

Take care,
2d1c

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
"On a side note, I noticed he reposted his ad again from last year for his 2010 VP with the same asking price; and this owner reposted his ad from last year too for his 2010 EX-L with the same asking price."

I reviewed my earlier posts and I stand corrected, i.e. the 2010 VP owner dropped from $18,500.00 last year to $17,500.00 this year, and the EX-L owner dropped from $26,800.00 last year to $24,800.00 this year.

Sorry about that.
2humbledogs1humblecat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Going to look at a 2011 EX-L tomorrow at the Honda dealership in Bridgewater. A 1hr 30m drive and I don't know of any reputable auto shops in Bridgewater that could do an inspection for me.

Hmmm, do I ask the Honda service department to inspect it, or throw a dart at my computer screen and see which business it hits from this list: Shops. We have taken our Forester to the Subaru dealership in Bridgewater for major maintenance because of the excellent customer service....maybe I just answered my own question.

Anyway, I have't been in this situation before, looking at a vehicle so far from home that's why I'm using you as a sounding board, oh wise and wonderful RL owners.

2attentivedogs1attentivecat

21 - 40 of 72 Posts