Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,169 Posts
If it's at a Honda Dealership, that's a + IMO, after that you have to "get a feel" and "trust your gut" and "trust the process". Dealers at least in the US, "Wholesale" vehicles which will be an issue down the road, IME.

Can you run a CarFax or similar (there's actually several different one's in the states, of which I cannot recall all the names), Also if you "trust" US with opinions, add a link and we can all "virtually shop it with you".

Good Luck 2D1C, I really hope this is the one, your efforts should be rewarded.

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
Hope it pans out. As part of the sale have them put it up on the rack.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
If it's at a Honda Dealership, that's a + IMO, after that you have to "get a feel" and "trust your gut" and "trust the process". Dealers at least in the US, "Wholesale" vehicles which will be an issue down the road, IME.

Can you run a CarFax or similar (there's actually several different one's in the states, of which I cannot recall all the names), Also if you "trust" US with opinions, add a link and we can all "virtually shop it with you".

Good Luck 2D1C, I really hope this is the one, your efforts should be rewarded.
Hi Carsmak,
I do trust you and everyone else. Usually I post info and links, I guess I've come to the point where I've been disappointed too often that I didn't...sorry about that.

2011 EX-L, 164,400 km's (102,153 miles), Blue, no photos; here's the Kijiji ad.
I printed off a copy of the RL purchasing checklist. I ran a CarFax Canada report: the RL was bought in Nova Scotia and was not registered anywhere out of Province; records indicate it was serviced at Bridgewater Honda regularly after the 100,000km mark on the odometer, so no maintenance history before then; no recorded accidents.

At first I wasn't too sure about the asking price ($15,993.00 Cdn (roughly $11,980.00 US) but after checking VMR, it's within the ballpark of what I would negotiate.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Kind regards,
2d1c

·
Super Moderator
7,169 Posts
I would need to check the Ridgeline Wikipedia article, but if I recall correctly, that should be Bali Blue , being EX-L will be a Black Leather, most likely heated seats. If you want to see several pictures of the Bali Blue, check out posts by @McChizzle

Being from California, those prices sound great but being where you are or it is, rust can be a concern and I believe that you have seen enough examples and know where to look probably better than I would.

Good Luck, 2D1C

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Good morning Carsmak,
Yes, Bali Blue me thinks too. Yes you are right, the EX-L's come with heated seats (which is nice to have during cold Atlantic winters). I agree, if it's been well undercoated I would expect the asking price to be at least $2k more (at that age and mileage). This time, lol, I'll wear my muck-about pants when I crawl around underneath the RL.
Unfortunately the Mrs is working today, she wanted to come with me on this field trip.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Take care.
2d1cat
: ^ )

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm back home. Wow, I really like that Bali Blue paint. The RL arrived yesterday that's why there are no photos on the dealer's website/kijji ad because it was in the detail shop when I arrived. Salesperson took me over and I had a look. This time I skipped looking in the fenders and began on the right side. Rust all along the rocker panel seam, and elsewhere. I looked over to the right side front suspension and a quarter of the rim was visible in the light, my eyeballs almost fell out of my sockets, I've never seen rims that badly pitted. After I crawled out I had a look at the same rim and you could see how badly pitted it was around the edges where it met the tire. The dealership inspected the RL, it passed the inspection and they stuck on a new MVI sticker (Motor Vehicle Inspection). In NS vehicles are inspected every two years. I enjoyed the drive down, gave my put-put car a chance to get a good run on the highway. The drive back in the car was even better, I stopped at Boulangerie la Vendéenne and bought some pastries to bring home for me and the Mrs.

There's another RL I have my eye on. 2012 VP. About 110,000 km's (68,350 miles), asking $18,500.00, here's the kijiji ad. The owner lives way up in Caraquet, New Brunswick. The son posted the ad and answered my questions because his dad speaks French. Dad is the original owner, no smoking or vaping in the truck, regular maintenance and undercoated every year. I emailed the son an offer of $14,000.00 on condition of inspection and maintenance records and explained it's a VP, not an EX-L trim. He replied that since the ad has only been up for a day, they'll keep closer to the asking price, and if it doesn't sell they'll just keep it. I don't understand why people say that...if they don't sell it this year, it will be worth a little less next year.

Time for lunch.
2hungrydogsand1cat

·
Super Moderator
7,169 Posts
I'm back home. Wow, I really like that Bali Blue paint. The RL arrived yesterday that's why there are no photos on the dealer's website/kijji ad because it was in the detail shop when I arrived. Salesperson took me over and I had a look. This time I skipped looking in the fenders and began on the right side. Rust all along the rocker panel seam, and elsewhere. I looked over to the right side front suspension and a quarter of the rim was visible in the light, my eyeballs almost fell out of my sockets, I've never seen rims that badly pitted. After I crawled out I had a look at the same rim and you could see how badly pitted it was around the edges where it met the tire. The dealership inspected the RL, it passed the inspection and they stuck on a new MVI sticker (Motor Vehicle Inspection). In NS vehicles are inspected every two years. I enjoyed the drive down, gave my put-put car a chance to get a good run on the highway. The drive back in the car was even better, I stopped at Boulangerie la Vendéenne and bought some pastries to bring home for me and the Mrs.

There's another RL I have my eye on. 2012 VP. About 110,000 km's (68,350 miles), asking $18,500.00, here's the kijiji ad. The owner lives way up in Caraquet, New Brunswick. The son posted the ad and answered my questions because his dad speaks French. Dad is the original owner, no smoking or vaping in the truck, regular maintenance and undercoated every year. I emailed the son an offer of $14,000.00 on condition of inspection and maintenance records and explained it's a VP, not an EX-L trim. He replied that since the ad has only been up for a day, they'll keep closer to the asking price, and if it doesn't sell they'll just keep it. I don't understand why people say that...if they don't sell it this year, it will be worth a little less next year.

Time for lunch.
2hungrydogsand1cat
Hopefully you've fed the kids and enjoyed a treat. Sorry for the bad luck, personally I think you low balled them at $14k CAD or $10.5k USD, in California that would easily be a $13.5k USD all day long. If free time allows this weekend, take the Misses for the drive and check it out. I mean what would you have done if the first one was right, make a second trip? I'd take no more than $16k and put that in their hands, the kid is playing and figures he gets a cut over what dad was offered for trade, I bet, French or not, the Dad knows what 1 in the hand is worth...

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,403 Posts
I would need to check the Ridgeline Wikipedia article, but if I recall correctly, that should be Bali Blue , being EX-L will be a Black Leather, most likely heated seats. If you want to see several pictures of the Bali Blue, check out posts by @McChizzle

Being from California, those prices sound great but being where you are or it is, rust can be a concern and I believe that you have seen enough examples and know where to look probably better than I would.

Good Luck, 2D1C
Thanks for the shoutout Carsmak. The color chart has been deleted from the wiki-page and the British boob that is bogarting the article will not allow it to be reposted. The article has taken a turn for the worse but at least it is better than it was when I started and the inaccurate information is gone. In other words, it is probably not worth referring people to anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
What does that yahoo have against the color chart?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
...I think you low balled them at $14k CAD or $10.5k USD...
Carsmak, you are right. After reading your reply, I sat and thought about it and you are right, my offer was too low. I reached out to them Friday and I'm waiting for a reply to re-negotiate.
I appreciate yours and everyone else's feedback, it helps me think outside the box so-to-speak from another perspective.
That's one of the reasons why ROC is such a great community.
Take care.
2respectfuldogsandcat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks for the shoutout Carsmak. The color chart has been deleted from the wiki-page and the British boob that is bogarting the article will not allow it to be reposted. The article has taken a turn for the worse but at least it is better than it was when I started and the inaccurate information is gone. In other words, it is probably not worth referring people to anymore.
McChizzle...could this format be an option for you? F650CS FAQ

Take care,
2d1c

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
McChizzle...could this format be an option for you? F650CS FAQ

Take care,
2d1c
Interesting... I never knew such a service existed. Although free, it sounds like you have to pay for better features but I can't really tell how good the free part of the site functions. Maybe I will give it a try. Thank you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Interesting... I never knew such a service existed. Although free, it sounds like you have to pay for better features but I can't really tell how good the free part of the site functions. Maybe I will give it a try. Thank you!
I enjoy researching and compiling information for use by others. It makes me unhappy when I see someone spend time and resources for the betterment of everyone else, only to have it slowly, methodically dismantled by someone who doesn't share the same values.
I really hope that the different format can be adapted to meet your vision. McChizzle, Editor-in-Chief. I can't wait. When the time comes, I would like to make a small contribution of information.
Take care.
2d1c

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I enjoy researching and compiling information for use by others. It makes me unhappy when I see someone spend time and resources for the betterment of everyone else, only to have it slowly, methodically dismantled by someone who doesn't share the same values.
I really hope that the different format can be adapted to meet your vision. McChizzle, Editor-in-Chief. I can't wait. When the time comes, I would like to make a small contribution of information.
Take care.
2d1c
Wow, that site is really different. Although it is a wiki, it does not use the same syntax or templates as Wikipedia. I may have to learn an all new syntax all over again; I don't know if I'm up for that. I will have to chew on this idea for a bit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wow, that site is really different. Although it is a wiki, it does not use the same syntax or templates as Wikipedia. I may have to learn an all new syntax all over again; I don't know if I'm up for that. I will have to chew on this idea for a bit.
Take all the time you need. Enjoy the summer weather first, with a cold beverage : ^ )
Take care McChizzle.
2d1c

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Spied a couple of more adverts:

2009 VP, 165,899 km's, $14,999.00, used dealership, down in the Annapolis Valley, NS.
2014 Sport, 127,265 km's, $19,573, Honda dealership over in Moncton, NB.
2014 Sport, 103,241 km's, $20,995.00, Audi dealership all the way over to St. John's, Newfoundland. A day trip by ferry to get there.

Photos are up on the dealer's website of the 2011 EX-L I had a look at last week with rusted rocker panels and badly pitted rims.

For some strange reason I woke up wide awake Sunday at 4am-ish. Since I was up I checked to see if I had a reply from the owner up in Caraquet, NB, nope. Came across this ad for a 2011 VP, 100,807 km's, a 40 minute drive from my house. Contacted through kijiji and there was someone already going to view it later in the morning at 10am. The ad was posted 7pm Saturday and sold in less than a day.

Not much else to report.
Take care.
2d1c

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Tomorrow morning I'm heading into Halifax to have a look at a 2011 EX-L, 146,640 km's (91,117 miles), asking $16,000.00. He's owned it for the last two years. The original owners were smokers so I'm curious to see if I'll smell any smoke. If he bought it here chances are I may luck out and find the maintenance history at the local Honda dealer.

Is it possible to completely remove the smell of smoke from the interior (the EX-L's have leather seats)?

Cheers
2tireddogsandcat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Tomorrow morning I'm heading into Halifax to have a look at a 2011 EX-L, 146,640 km's (91,117 miles), asking $16,000.00...
Update..nope, that four letter word, rust.
It's been an interesting 17 months. Last year I saw a 2013 DX without any undercoating and rust was everywhere like acne on my face when I was a teenager, and then I've seen RL's where it had been undercoated but not annually and rust took hold, or the original owner undercoated annually but the next owner didn't carry on rust protection.
I have come across a four leaf clover once in my life when I was a kid, so I know there is a RL out there, somewhere ;)

I'm going to go and dance a jig while I make my lunch🕺
Cheers
2goofydogs1bewilderedcat
🐕🐕🐈

·
Super Moderator
7,169 Posts
Update..nope, that four letter word, rust.
It's been an interesting 17 months. Last year I saw a 2013 DX without any undercoating and rust was everywhere like acne on my face when I was a teenager, and then I've seen RL's where it had been undercoated but not annually and rust took hold, or the original owner undercoated annually but the next owner didn't carry on rust protection.
I have come across a four leaf clover once in my life when I was a kid, so I know there is a RL out there, somewhere ;)

I'm going to go and dance a jig while I make my lunch🕺
Cheers
2goofydogs1bewilderedcat
🐕🐕🐈
No suggestions, but Good Luck 🍀

41 - 60 of 72 Posts