Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E just logged its first 5000 miles and the maintenance minder just popped up. Was planning on taking to a non-Honda mechanic I've previously used and was wondering what exactly should be done at this service besides changing the oil and filter. I want to take very good care of this vehicle so anyone who can list anything that should be done above and beyond the oil & filter, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't know about your dealer, but I got my first oil change covered by the dealer. :)

The service manual should give you all the things that should be done at each service interval. Have you checked that, yet?

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
The MM for an oil change is dependent on driving conditions that you do. So someone who just drives a few miles to work will have to change the oil more often than someone who drives 50miles each day to work. Oil is stressed more with lower use due to moisture not being burned out of the crankcase. Hence it gets "dirty".

Steve M

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I didn't realize it, but there is special break-in oil in Hondas. It sholdn't be changed until the specified period (I need to look it up, but it is longer than you think). The oil contains special additives to help with engine break-in. Hondas have an excellent performance record. I'm not going to change it early.

FWIW

·
Registered
163 Posts
For this one, skip your friend. Instead, take it to Honda and have them take care of that service bulletin on part C601 in the wiring harness, near the rear diff. Other threads here about it.

Edit: In another thread, someone told me the bulletins aren't automatically done, which given the outcome of this one, seems a bit dumb to me. So, YMMV.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
For the record, Honda does NOT put special break-in oil in new vehicles.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Whether the initial oil contains extra moly & additives, or whether it washes off the parts on start-up. It appears that the important thing is not to change it until advised by the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The dealers really go out of their way to confirm service appointments.

Mine sent an email, called, texted, but the carrier pigeon took off before I could get the band off!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had my first oil change last weekend (5600 miles). My dealer threw in my first four oil changes but even if he didn't I'd just get it done there anyway. I used to think dealers were more expensive than regular oil change joints but I don't think I've ever paid more than $30. I feel more comfortable with them messing with my truck than some other mechanic and certainly myself. I used to change my own oil but the time and hassle isn't anywhere close to being worth it anymore.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I let the dealer do all the servicing. They know the vehicle. And their prices are in line with the quick change places. You also get to know the service people as well. :wink: Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts