Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions for those of you who have owned both a 1st and 2nd generation Ridgeline. I have never owned either ( although I have owned 3 honda vehicles and they are the best vehicles I've ever had ) but I recently had the opportunity to test drive the new 2017 Ridgeline as well as 2014 top of the line SE with very low mileage at the Honda Dealership I use.

While I know that the 1st generation's "fast back" look turned off some traditional truck buyers, but I always thought it was distinctive looking and a little more rugged looking than the current generation. It also appears to have a little more ground clearance than the new Ridgeline. As I said I drove both and they were both very comfortable with the new one being much more tech heavy and with four drive modes whereas the old one had the rear locker button.

My main question is how do you owners of both rate the off road capability of the 1st gen vs the new gen? I realize the 4 drive modes is a plus for the new Gen, but the additional ground clearance and the rear locker on the old one is an advantage for it. What are your thoughts?

I am really interested to know because I can get a very good deal on the 2014 from the dealer and save myself approximately $15,000. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had a 2008 and 2014 RL prior to my G2 BE. I never did any real off road except in sand on the beaches of NC. Both the G1 models did great in the sand after lowering tire pressure to about 20psi. Snow is no problem either. Where I loved both the G1 and G2 AWD is in the rain. It just feels like it is gripping the road. I can't speak how the G2 does in snow or sand yet but I have heard from others on the board that despite the G2 being slightly lower to the ground it does better in the sand than the G1. I'll have mine down at the Outer Banks of NC at the end of the month and will be able to report back further.

Based on the sheer fact that neither are high off the ground true off road driving is somewhat limited at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. By all means please report back with your experience on sand with the new Ridgeline. I owned an F 150 4x4 years ago and the most it ever saw in terms of off road use was gravel / dirt roads which either Gen Ridgeline could handle. What I am planning on doing when I buy my next truck is use it on the beaches of Long Island here in NY to take my son surf casting so I am very much interested in the Sand performance. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
For low speed off-roading, I would give the edge to the G1, due to the VTM4 lock. While the G2 has a better, more advanced AWD system, it's primary advantage over the old VTM4 system is on-road, and at higher speeds.

Of course tires will play a big role as well, and the G1 tires are superior to the G2's from an OEM fitment standpoint, but you could easily go aftermarket for a more aggressive all-terrain tire.

If you're not into all the latest tech, and not so concerned with mpg's, I would save the cash and go G1.:wink:

·
Registered
287 Posts
The new truck should be better in all conditions. The "decreased ground clearance" is a small fraction of an inch, and it has a better AWD system. In Sand mode, it will send up to 70% of the power to the rear wheels and the system responds 46% faster than the G1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts