Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a tough 300 mile trip, launching and towing my boat over Vermont mountains, the computer told me to change the oil and rotate the tires. 15% oil life remaining @ 5,858 miles. Ordinarily I consider myself too old and lazy to do this myself, but I wanted to do the first one to see how everything worked and see what's under there.

I used a Honda filter and 5W-20 synthetic. I have always used conventional oil in my vehicles, but decided to try the synthetic after all the posts and recommendations here on the R.O.C.

It is hard to believe, but there is a noticable difference in performance...

1) The engine is idleing even quieter.
2) Got 22 mpg on first tank after the change (some in town driving).
3) It drives different. The truck just wants to GO now more than ever. The whole machine is running smoother.

Is it my imagination or can synthetic oils make that big a difference?

By the way, I'm not crazy about the jack. It goes to almost full extension before lifting the wheels. It rubbed or pinched some of the undercoat material off of the lift points on the body. I guess "it works" is the best I can say.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shortspark said:
What synthetic oil did you use?
Penzoil "Platinum" 5W-20. Label says it's made for newer Fords and Hondas. Got it at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey Steve, can't wait to change my oil now! I need to "feel the power"!! BTW, will hard rubber pads help with the Jack?

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is what I want to hear. My salesman had told me that Gas mileage should improve after the first oil change and I should bring my truck in at 3500 miles for its first free Oil change. I was not sure I beleived him or if he was just blowing smoke. I am approaching 4000 miles with 60% Vescoscity remaining. Based on your post I think I will have the oil changed next week.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tex's Ridge said:
...will hard rubber pads help with the Jack?
I used a piece of 2" by 6" scrap lumber and it did help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
steveberger said:
I used a piece of 2" by 6" scrap lumber and it did help.
ATTENTION ROClanders!! Pack something with your jack now!! Don't wait till you HAVE to use the jack!! :cool: Thanks Steve for the heads-up!

L

·
0 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
ATTENTION ROClanders!! Pack something with your jack now!! Don't wait till you HAVE to use the jack!! :cool: Thanks Steve for the heads-up!
Thanks Steve and Tex.

·
Registered
460 Posts
WhiteRL said:
That is what I want to here. My salesman had told me that Gas mileage should improve after the first oil change and I should bring my truck in at 3500 miles for its first free Oil change. I was not sure I beleived him or if he was just blowing smoke. I am approaching 4000 miles with 60% Vescoscity remaining. Based on your post I think I will have the oil changed next week.
whiterl, just a friendly suggestion..............be patient and leave the break in oil for the full ride down to atleast 15% oil life.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I still don't understand why so many Dealers are recommending first oil change before HAL say's so. Mine said 3000 miles and they will filter the drain oil to check for any excessive engine wear. It isn't the money because the oil change is free for me. Don't they get educated? Is this HAL thing unique to The Ridgeline, or is it on other Honda's, too? I know what the manual say's, but why the lack of consistency on this issue :confused: ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
RidgeMe said:
I still don't understand why so many Dealers are recommending first oil change before HAL say's so. Mine said 3000 miles and they will filter the drain oil to check for any excessive engine wear. It isn't the money because the oil change is free for me. Don't they get educated? Is this HAL thing unique to The Ridgeline, or is it on other Honda's, too? I know what the manual say's, but why the lack of consistency on this issue :confused: ?
they just want to get you in the door........... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I think they believe if you will come in for a free oil change at 3,000 miles they will be able to get you in every 3,000 thereafter. I bet they will put a sticker on your windshield that will show next oil service due at something like 6,000 or 7,000 miles. They won't put one on that says next service due when HAL says so.

Changing oil every 3,000 miles is a waste of oil, time and money in newer engines and especially with the new oil formulations and additive packages that have come out in recent years. BUT, this is how service departments make money. If you have them change your oil every 6,000 miles rather than 3,000 they lose half of the profit they could have made - and they know it. Many, many people still subscribe to the old habit of 3,000 mile oil changes but hey, if someone needs peace of mind by doing this type of oil change interval let them go for it - it ain't worth loosing sleep over. There may be some isolated cases where unusual driving conditions warrant 3,000 mile oil change intervals but they would be rare.

The Honda oil life monitor is not unique to Honda as GM has had a similar one for several years. Unlike "idiot lights" or mileage counters, this system measures things meaningful to oil wear such as temps, revolutions and some other driving conditions and habits. It gathers this information and makes assumptions. Of course, it does not know if you top off oil now and then, which rejuvenates the oil, not does it know if you use synthetics which will normally last longer than regular dino oil. Only a chemical analysis will be accurate as to how well your engine is being protected by a certain oil. Although the Honda system is not perfect, it is built to monitor this particular engine and the Honda engineers have always been regarded as pretty smart people. So, I will go with what it tells me.

BTW, to the original poster, the Penzoil synthetic is indeed suppose to be a good one but don't be fooled by "Made for Honda/Ford" or similar signs on the bottle. Only in recent years have some manufactures built a lot of engines calling for 5W20 oil. The engines would run just fine on 5W30 too but they are trying to squeeze out every mile per gallon and meet government regulations (CAFE). The label you see is for that reason, the weight of the oil, not because it contains any special formulation that is required or specified by Honda or Ford. In fact, Motorcraft, which is Ford's oil brand, is a synthetic blend type and is also highly regarded by many oil geeks and would work well in Honda engines as well. Any top brand 5W20 should do just fine in our Ridgelines. Nonetheless, having said all this, I am sure you will get great service out of that Penzoil synthetic for many, many miles.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shortspark said:
BTW, to the original poster, the Penzoil synthetic is indeed suppose to be a good one but don't be fooled by "Made for Honda/Ford" or similar signs on the bottle.
I wasn't fooled. The Penzoil was the only 5W-20 synthetic on the shelf when I stopped at Walmart. They had Mobil 1 but not in 5-20. I just thought the use of the Honda name was interesting. I agree, any good quality sythetic will probably work if the viscosity numbers are close.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Question? Does Honda use synthetic oil for the first change? Can you request that they do?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Ridge said:
yeah, I know it's frustrating, but I'm sticking with Hal. I'm going to make the assumption the stellar Honda engineeriing team knows more than the salesman with ketchup stains on his tie.
Good call. :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Toobuku said:
Question? Does Honda use synthetic oil for the first change? Can you request that they do?
They wouldn't use it unless you requested it. I think I'll stick with Dino until 12,000 miles and switch to Synthetic then. There is so much info out there, but I've heard, and this makes sense to me anyway, that Synthetic will cause your engine to run significantly cooler which is a very good thing, but not before the rings and everything else has seated and heat helps that process. It sounds like a sound principle to me. I figure it certainly won't hurt anything to wait to 12,000 miles. I want my Honda engine to be the best it can be.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not mine. Gas mileage is similar to dino, too.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I changed oil at 2500 miles. There was no change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts